Geophysics helps us to…. see the unseen
About the Program
Program Mission & Vision
The Geophysics program aims to support the research activities of the Geology, Environmental and Petroleum Engineering programs by using modern geophysical methods and processing techniques for characterizing the subsurface at all levels. The Geophysics program is focusing on the following six subtopics,
- Reservoir characterization and Monitoring using seismic and non-seismic methods.
- Natural resources (O&G, Groundwater, Minerals, Shallow/Deep Geothermal Energy, CO2 / H2 sequestration and monitoring, etc.) exploration and exploitation.
- New processing techniques such as, FWI, SVI, Joint inversion of different geophysical datasets, AI and ML, Seismic Attenuation and EM modeling.
- Application of geophysics to other, related to O&G industry, disciplines, such as Geology (stratigraphy and tectonic characterization), Environmental (monitoring of decontamination), Petroleum Engineering (FeS deposition, SAG, drilling fluids, etc.) and Rock Physics (indirectly estimation of petrophysical parameters).
- Development of new geophysical instruments/techniques (joint SIP/NMR, joint SIP/3C-MAG).
- Characterization of the Near-Surface using integrated (land- and airborne-) Multiphysics methods.
Overall, the Geophysics program, in line with VISION 2030, will provide to KSA recent advances in energy resources reservoir characterization, modeling, and management, keeping up with the modern developments, such as, AI-ML, making the program more relevant to all government and all industry focus areas as well as those of the academia.
- Novel instruments and processing tools
- 1D/2D/3D/4D models of the subsurface for characterization and monitoring
- Integration of geophysics with Petrophysics, Petroleum Engineering, Geology and Environmental programs.
Supervisor: Ahmed Abdullah Shaibani & Abdul Latif Ashadi
List of instrumentation available:
- StrataVisorTM NZXP (Seismic survey, main unit)
- Geode Ultra-Light (12 units) (Seismic survey, recorder, for 96 channels and/or 192 channels)
- VibSist-50 (Seismic survey, Vibration seismic source)
- GISCO ESS200 Turbo (Seismic survey, Accelerated impact seismic energy source)
- GPR Structure Scan Mini XT (GPR survey, high frequency)
- Multiple Low Freq. (MLF) GPR Antenna (GPR survey, Multi low frequency)
- SIR System-4000 (GPR survey, main control unit)
- GPR SIR System 3000 + 400MHz antenna (GPR survey, main control unit, shallow depth)
- CG-5 Autograv (2 units) (Gravity survey)
- SYSCAL Pro (Switch 96) (Resistivity survey)
- SYSCAL R1 PLUS (Switch-48) (Resistivity survey)
- Geonics EM31-MK2 (EM mapping)
- Geonics EM-38 (EM mapping)
- Scintrex ENVI-MAG (Magnetic survey, Proton)
- Geospace Seismic Recorder (GSX) System (Microseismic survey, Main control system)
- 64 CH Simultaneous ADC (High-resolution digital recording system with eight 80 MS/s simultaneously sampled input channels)
- The G-858 MagMapper Magnetometer (Magnetic survey, include gradiometer option)
- The G-857 Portable Proton Magnetometer (Magnetic survey, including gradiometer option)
- ABEM WalkTEM (Transient electromagnetic (TEM) system, including the TX-60 booster)
- ZZ FlashRES-Universal 96-Channel (Full channel resistivity imaging, including the booster-transmitter and various spacing cables: 5m, 10m, and 20m.)
- Portable SIP system
- MiniShark HVSR system
- SmartSolo® IGU-16HR 3C (Wireless seismic survey, including 120 geophone units)
- Trimble R10+ (Differential GPS readings, including the external radio)
- Syscal Pro Deep Marine (Marine resistivity survey)
- ELECTRODYNAMIC-VIBRATOR SYSTEM ELVIS VII (Seismic vibrator source, up to 1100 Nm)
- KMS-5100 – 150 EM Transmitter (150kW grounded dipole EM transmitter, can be used for CSAMT, Time Domain EM (LOTEM), Time Domain Induced Polarization (IP), Focused source EM (FSEM) and TFEM)
- KMS-820 EM Acquisition Station (5 complete set of EM receiver surveys, including KMS-820 web access, and LEMI-120 (MT coils), LEMI-118 (AMT coils), and LEMI-701 (electrodes))
- Well-logging Tools (Well-logging survey, including Gamma, Sonic and Resistivity tools)