Dr. Bassam S. Tawabini
Associate Professor, Geosciences Department
Dr. Bassam has been an associate professor at Geosciences Department at CPG, KFUPM since 2007 in addition to his incumbency as an Acting Director, Environment and Sustainability Section, Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Dept. KFUPM since 2014. From 1987 till 2005 he had assumed the role of Senior Research Engineer, Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM. Between 2005 – 07 he was appointed as Manager of Central Analytical Laboratory (CAL), Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Water Resources & Environmental Engineering), KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
- High Diploma: “Sustainable Development” Middle East University at Boston College, Boston, USA, 2001.
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1987.
- B.Sc., (Hons.), Civil Engineering. KFUPM, KSA, 1984.
- Investigating the fate of pollutants in the water, wastewater, marine, air and soil
- Assessment, monitoring and treatment of water, soils and air contaminated with hazardous pollutants.
- Developing innovative treatment technologies for industrial wastewater using electrochemical –based treatment technologies.
- Developing advanced oxidation and photocatalytic technologies for the ex-situ and in-situ remediation of groundwater contaminated with trace metals and hydrocarbons using the combination of UV, H2O2, TiO2, Cl2 and O3.
- Developing novel nano-based synthetic adsorbents (i.e. Graphene, CNTs, CNFs, TiO2…etc.) and natural adsorbents (i.e. fly ash, sewage sludge) for the removal of pollutants from environment.
- Developing advanced technologies for remediation of contaminated sites with hydrocarbons and trace metals using bio-treatment and phytoremediation technologies
- Developing novel for the removal of trace metals and hydrocarbons from contaminated environment.
- Assessing the fate of the Disinfection By-products (DBPs) formation using chlorine (Cl2), ozone (O3) and chlorine dioxide (ClO2).
- Assessing the spatial distribution of air pollutants (NOx, SOx, PMs, VOCs…etc.) and soil pollutants (heavy/trace metals) in the Arabian Gulf region.
- Developing best practices and methods for the management of municipal, industrial and hazardous wastes.
- Assessing the sustainable utilization of natural resources (i.e. water, soil, energy, minerals and biota)
- Fatai Olabemiwo, Bassam Tawabini, Faheemuddin Patel, Tajudeen Oyehan, M. Khaled and Tahar Laoui (2017). Cadmium Removal from Contaminated Water using Polyelectrolyte-Coated Industrial Waste Fly Ash. of Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications. Vol. 2017, Article ID 7298351, 13 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7298351
- Muhammad I Qureshi, Faheemuddin Patel, Nadhir Al-Baghli, Basim Abussaud, Bassam Tawabini and Tahar Laoui (2017). A comparative study of raw and metal oxide impregnated carbon nanotubes for the adsorption of hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)) from aqueous solution. of Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications. Volume 2017, Article ID 1624243, 10 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1624243
- Fatai Olabemiwo, Bassam Tawabini, Faheemuddin Patel, Tajudeen Oyehan, M. Khaled and Tahar Laoui. Assessment of Cadmium (II) Removal from Water by Innovative Polyelectrolyte-Coated Fly Ash. Accepted for presentation at the 15th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology. (CEST2017), 31 August-2 September 2017, Rhodes, Greece.
- A. Liadi, B. Tawabini, R. Shawabkeh, and N. Jaraah. Removal of Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE) Using Sewage Sludge-Derived Activated Carbon. Accepted for presentation at the 16th Int. Waste Management and Landfill symposium (Sardinia 2017), Italy, Oct. 2-6. 2017.
- Muhammad Arslan, Michael A Kaminski, Amjad Khalil, Muhammad Ilyas and Bassam Tawabini. Benthic Foraminifera in Eastern Bahrain: Relationships with local Pollutants. J. Envirn. Stud. Vol 26, No. 3 (2017), 969-984.
- Tawabini, and M. Makkawi (2017). Remediation of MTBE-Contaminated Groundwater by Integrated Circulation Wells and Advanced Oxidation Technologies. J. of Water Science & Technology: Water Supply. doi: 10.2166/ws.2017.128.
- Bassam S. Tawabini, Taoreed T. Lawal, Abdulaziz Shaibani, and Ashraf M. Farahat. Morphological and Chemical properties of Particulate Matter in the Dammam Metropolitan region: Dhahran, Khobar, and Dammam, Saudi Arabia. Advances in Meteorology. Volume 2017 (2017), Article ID 8512146, 9 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8512146
- Olabemiwo A. Fatai, Bassam Tawabini, Faheemuddin Patel, Tajudeen A. Oyehan, Mazen Khaled, Tahar “Assessment of Polyelectrolyte Coated Fly Ash for Cadmium Removal in Polluted Water”. Water Arabia 2017. Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia 17-19 October 2017.
- Liadi, B.Tawabini, R. Shawabkeh, N. Jaraah, A. Shaibani and M. Makkawi “Removal of Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE) Using Sewage Sludge-Derived Activated Carbon”. Water Arabia 2017. Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia 17-19 October 2017.
- Bassam Tawabini and Abdulaziz Al-Shaibani. Assessment of the Water Supply Alternative for a Mining Prospect in the Western Region of Saudi Arabia. The 9th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology June 25-29. 2018. Houston, Texas, USA.
- A. Liadi, B. Tawabini, R. Shawabkeh, N. Jaraah, A. Shaibani and M. Makkawi. The Potentials of Sewage Sludge-Derived Activated Carbon in Treating the MTBE-contaminated Water. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2018) Oct;25(29):29397-29407. doi: 10.1007/s11356-018-2737-0. Epub 2018 Aug 20.
- Kaminski, M.A. Amao, A.O., Garrison, T., Tawabini, B., Babalola, L. & Frontalini, F. Hypersaline and hyperthermal tolerant benthic foraminifera from a desalination plant outflow in the Arabian Gulf (2018). Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 20, EGU2018-16242.
- Akeem O. Bello, Bassam S. Tawabini, Amjad B. Khalil, Christopher R. Bolandand Tawfik A. Saleh. Phytoremediation of cadmium-, lead- and nickel-contaminated water by Phragmites australis in hydroponic systems. Ecological Engineering. 120 (2018). Pages 126-133 . September 2018. (IF= 3.4)
- Fatai A. Olabemiwo, Bassam S. Tawabini*, Faheemuddin Patel, Tajudeen A. Oyehan, Mazen Khaled, Muataz Atieh, Tahar Laoui. The Kinetics of Cadmium Sorption by Polyelectrolyte-Coated Fly Ash from Aqueous Solution”. Desalination and Water Treatment. J. 127 (2018) 140–150.
- Omobayo Adio Salawu; Basheer Chanbasha; Mohammed Omar Hussein; Nahid Siddiqui; Bassam Tawabini. Comparative evaluation of biosynthesized nanoscale zero valent iron and iron Oxide nanoparticles in mercury adsorption. Journal of Environmental Engineering 145(7). J. Environ. Eng., 2019, 145(7): 04019037.pp.7.
- Dayeh, M. A.; Farahat, A.; Tawabini, B.; Abuelgasim, A.. Atmospheric Aerosols Effect on Solar Panels Efficiency in Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates using Integrated Satellite Observation and Modeling Techniques. 2018 AGU Conference. Washington, D.C., 10-14 Dec 2018.
- Konstantinos V. Plakas, Bassam Tawabini,Anastasios J. Karabelas Electrochemical treatment of phenol in brine solutions using a plate-and-frame GDE/BDD reactor – A pilot plant study. Presented at the 2nd Symposium on Materials, Electrochimistry & Environment. Lebanon, 18-20 Oct., 2018.
- Akere Taiwo Hassana, Karuppasamy Manikandanb, BassamTawabini, Chanbasha Basheera, Krishnakumar Periyadanb, Mohammed Qurban.. Assessment of the organotin pollution in the coastal sediments of the Western Arabian Gulf,SaudiArabia. Marine Pollution Bulletin journal 139 (2019) 174-180.
- Bassam S. Tawabini, Mutaz. A. Atieh, Faraj A. Abuilaiwi and Segun B. Adebayo. Doped silver nanoparticles on carbon fly ash for adsorption of methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE). US Patent Application # US20180099263A1.
- Tahar Laoui; Bassam S. Tawabini; Mazen Mohammad Khaled; Fatai Abidemi Olabemiwo. Functionalization of Industrial Fly Ash with Polyelectrolyte Coating for Water Treatment. KFUPM ref no.: 2017-159. (Docket No. 509421US)
- Bassam Tawabini, Mohammad Otaibi, Ashraf Farahat, Hafidz Omar, Abduljamiu Amao. Morphological, Mineralogical and Elemental Characteristics of Particulate Matter over the Industrial Zone in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia. Geophysical Research Abstracts. 21, EGU2019-12864, 2019, EGU 2019 Conference. 7-12 April 2019. Vienna , Austria.
- Linos Cotsapas, Abduljamiu Amao, Michael Kaminski, Bassam Tawabini, Lamidi Babalola, and Thomas Garrison. Mangrove foraminifera from hypersaline tidal flats on the Al-Freya Coast, Eastern Saudi Arabia. Geophysical Research Abstracts. 21, EGU2019-15078, 2019. EGU 2019 Conference. 7-12 April 2019. Vienna , Austria.
- Michael A. Kaminski , Abduljamiu Amao, Thomas Garrison, Bassam Tawabini, Lamidi Babalola, Robert L. Johnson, and Fabrizio Frontalini. Is the nearshore Arabian Gulf becoming too hot to sustain marine benthic life? Geophysical Research Abstracts 21, EGU2019-11820, 2019. EGU 2019 Conference. 7-12 April 2019. Vienna, Austria.
- Abideen O. Salawudeen, Bassam S. Tawabini, Tawfik A. Saleh, Abdulaziz M. Al-Shaibani. Evaluation of the removal of phenol from contaminated water by graphene oxide functionalized with poly dially dimethyl ammonium chloride (GPDADMAC). Desalination and Water Treatment. 162 (2019)341-352.
- Abideen O. Salawudeen, Bassam S. Tawabini, Tawfik A. Saleh, Abdulaziz M. Al-Shaibani. Evaluation of the Graphene Functionalized with poly dially dimethyl ammonium chloride for the adsorption of phenol from water. Presented at the 9th Symposium on Environmental progress in the Petroleum and Petrochemical Industry (Petro Environment 2019). 19-21 Feb. 2019, Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia
- S. Tawabini, K. V. Plakas, M. Fraim, E. Safi, T. Oyehan, A. J. Karabelas. Assessing the efficiency of a pilot-scale GDE/BDD electrochemical system in removing phenol from highly brine waters. Chemosphere. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2019.124714 (Q1, IF=5.108).
- Karuppasamy Manikandan; Sudibyo S Sardi; Mohammed A Qurban; Wenzhao Li; Kadinjappalli P Krishnakumar; Mustafa M Hariri; Bassam Tawabini; Amjad B Khalil; Hesham El-Askary. Assessment of areas environmentally sensitive to oil spills in the Western Arabian Gulf, Saudi Arabia, for planning and undertaking an effective response. Marine Pollution Bulletin (submitted)
- Abideen O. Salawudeen, Bassam S. Tawabini, Abdulaziz M. Al-Shaibani, Tawfik A. Saleh, Poly(2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) grafted graphene oxide for cadmium removal from contaminated water; Interaction mechanisms , journal of molecular liquids, Current status MOLLIQ_2019_4310R1 (Under Review).
- Bassam Tawabini. Effect of Salinity and Chloride Content on the Degradation of Phenol Using an Advanced Oxidation Electrochemical Treatment Method. 5th International Congress on Water, Waste and Energy Management (WaterWaste-19). 22-24 July 2019. Université Paris 8, Paris, France.
- Tajudeen Oyehan; Fatai A Olabemiwo; Bassam S Tawabini. The capacity of mesoporous fly ash coated with an ultrathin film of polydiallyldimethyl ammonium for enhanced removal of phenol from contaminated water. Journal of Hazardous Materials (submitted)
- Abideen O. Salawudeen, Bassam S. Tawabini. Use of Graphene-Based Adsorbents for the Removal of Cadmium from Contaminated Water: A Technical Review. Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering. Manuscript ID is FCSE-2019-0165 (submitted).
- Abdelgadir A., Farahat, A., Otaibi, M. and Tawabini, B. Analysis of the Long Rang Seasonal Variability of Aerosol Optical Properties over United Arab Emirates (UAE) using Satellites and Weather Stations Measurements (under preparation)
- A. Adetoro, B. S. Tawabini* and A. M. Al-Shaibani, A. Farahat and M. Levels of Trace Metals in the Topsoil at Selected Regions in Dammam Area, Saudi Arabia (under preparation).
- Tawabini and K.V. Plakas. Electro-based treatment technologies of oil and gas hydraulic fracturing wastewater: progress and perspectives. (under preparation)Tajudeen A Oyehan; Faheemuddin Patel; Fatai A Olabemiwo; Bassam S Tawabini. And Tahar Laaui. Enhancing the adsorptive capacity of carbon nanofibers by impregnation with ferric oxide for the removal of cadmium in aqueous solution. Chemical Engineering Journal (submitted).
- US Patent # 10167212. Jamal Amana and Bassam S. Tawabini. Continuous flow decontamination of an MTBE-contaminated aqueous liquid.
- US Patent # 10160675. Jamal Amana and Bassam S. Tawabini. Process for filtering and treating an MTBE-contaminated aqueous liquid.
- US Patent # 10125038. Jamal Amana and Bassam S. Tawabini. Treatment of Water Contaminated with MTBE Using UV/Chlorine Advanced Oxidation Process.
- Environmental Management & Technologies. M. Sievers, B. Tawabini and M. Al-Sharif. Al-Atheen. Amman, Jordan. ISBN: 978-9957-546-00-7, Nov. 2010.
- PhD Dissertation. Treatment of Water Contaminated with Dimethyl Phthalate By Fenton, Photo-Fenton and UV/H2O2 Civil Eng. Dept., KFUPM, Dhahran, KSA. Feb. 2002.
- Thesis. Trihalomethanes (THMs) Formation in a Distillation Process. Civil Eng. Dept., KFUPM, Dhahran, KSA. Jan. 1987.
JOURNAL EDITORIAL MEMBERSHIP
- Journal of Civil Engineering and Environmental Sciences. Peertechz Publisher: https://www.peertechz.com/journals/journal-of-civil-engineering-and-environmental-sciences/editorial-board
Awards & Honors
- Award for obtaining 3 US Patents, 2019
- Best Teaching Award. College of Sciences, KFUPM. 2011.
- Nominee for the Best Research Award. Center for Environment and Water, Research Institute, KFUPM, 2007.
- Long Services Award, KFUPM. Dhahran, KSA. 1994.
- Nominee for the Best Academic Advisor for the College of Petroleum and Geosciences (2016)
- The 1st place at the 5th Saudi Water Arabia conference held between 17-19 of October, 2017 in Saudi Arabia. The paper titled’ Assessment of Polyelectrolyte Coated Fly Ash for Cadmium Removal in Polluted Water”.