Dr. SanLinn I. Kaka
Assistant Professor, Geosciences Department
Dr. SANLINN I. KAKA received his Ph.D. degree in Earth Sciences from Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada in 2006. Currently, he is a faculty member and graduate coordinator in the Department of Geosciences at King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals. His research interests are in the areas of engineering seismology, reservoir characterization and monitoring, ground-motions relations and near-surface geophysics. His recent research focuses on applications of microseismic monitoring systems, enhancement, detection and localization of microseismic events as well as understanding fracture growth and the role of pre-existing fractures during multi-stage hydraulic fracture stimulation of shale gas reservoirs
- Ph.D., Earth Sciences, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, 2006.
RECENT FUNDED PROJECTS:
- Stewart Greenhalgh, SanLinn I. Kaka, Abdullatif Al-Shuhail and Umair ben Waheed. Thrust 1. Combined active/passive seismic imaging. Collaboration and partnership between MIT-CPG.
- Abdullatif Al-Shuhail (Principal Investigator) and SanLinn I. Kaka (Co-Investigator). Application of Advanced Signal Processing Techniques to Enhance the Signal-to-Noise Ratio and Localization of Microseismic Events, KFUPM-GIT Collaboration, Center for Energy & Geo Processing, Project number: GTEC1311.
- SanLinn I. Kaka (Principle Investigator), Abdullah Al-Shuhail (Co-Investigator), Abdullatif Al-Shuhail (Co- Investigator). Microseismic and Geomechanical Characterizations of Shale Gas Reservoirs, Trilateral Cooperation among Saudi Aramco, Stanford University and King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Project number: ES002357.
- SanLinn I. Kaka (Principal Investigator) and Abdullatif Al-Shuhail (Co-Investigator). Analysis of passive seismic data for reservoir monitoring & characterization, EXPEC Advanced Research Center, Saudi Aramco Project number: ES002314.
- SanLinn I. Kaka (Principal Investigator) and A Abdullatif Al-Shuhail (Co-Investigator). A pilot project: passive seismic experiment, the National Plan for Science and Technology Program Project number: 08-OIL814.
- Aldo Vesnaver (Principal Investigator) and SanLinn I. Kaka (Co-Investigator). Reservoir Characterization by Active and Passive Seismic Investigation, Deanship of Scientific Research, KFUPM Project number: RG-1115-1.
Publications in Peer-reviewed Journals:
- Iqbal , E. Liu, J.H. McClellan, A. A. Al-Shuhail, S. I. Kaka and A . Zerguine “Detection and Denoising of Microseismic Events using Tensor Decomposition and Time-frequency Representation”, IEEE Access, (Accepted).
- McClellan, J. H., L. Eisner, E. Liu, N. Iqbal, A. A. Al-Shuhail and Kaka, “Array processing in microseismic monitoring”, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 35 (2), 99-111, 2018.
- N Iqbal, A . Zerguine, Kaka, A. Al-Shuhail “Observation-Driven Method Based on IIR Wiener Filter for Microseismic Data Denoising”, Pure and Applied Geophysics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00024-018-1775-3. 2018.
- Liu, E., Zhu, L, Raj, A., McClellan, J., Al-Shuhail, A., Kaka, S and Iqbal, N., “Microseismic events enhancement and detection in sensor arrays using autocorrelation based filtering” Geophysical Prospecting, 65 (6), 1496-1509,
- SanLinn I. Kaka, Juan, Reyes-Montes, Abdullah Al-Shuhail, Abdullatif Al-Shuhail and Michael Jervis, “Analysis of Microseismic Events during a Multi-stage Hydraulic Stimulation Experiment at a Shale Gas Reservoir”, Petroleum Geoscience, https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2016-086, 2017.
- Iqbal, A. Al-Shuhail, S. Kaka, E. Liu, A. Raj, and J. McClellan, “Iterative interferometry-based method for picking microseismic events” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 140, Pages 52-61, 2017.
- Oluseun A. Sanuade and SanLinn I. Kaka, “Sequence stratigraphic analysis of ‘Otu’ Field, onshore Niger Delta using 3D seismic and well logs”, Geological Quarterly, 61 (1), 2017.
- Michael A. Oladunjoye, Ademola J. Salami, Ahzegbobor P. Aizebeokhai, Oluseun A. Sanuade and Sanlinn I. Kaka, “Preliminary Geotechnical Characterization of a Site In Southwest Nigeria Using Integrated Electrical and Seismic Methods, Journal of the Geological Society of India, 89 (2), 209-215, 2017.
- Iqbal, N., Zerguine, A., Kaka, S and Al-Shuhail, A., “Automated SVD Filtering of time-frequency distribution for enhancing the SNR of microseismic/microquake events” Journal of Geophysics and Engineering vol. 13 (6), 964, 2016.
- Tajudeen M. Iwalewa, Abdulla S. Elamin and SanLinn I. Kaka, “A coupled model simulation assessment of shallow water-table rise in a Saudi Arabian coastal city” Journal of Hydro-environment Research, , 12, 46-58, 2016.
- Abdul Latif Ashadi, Udi Harmoko, Gatot Yuliyanto, and SanLinn I. Kaka, “Probabilistic Seismic-Hazard Analysis for Central Java Province, Indonesia” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 105, no. 3, 2015.
- Vesnaver, F. Da Col, M. Jervis, S. I. Kaka and D. Nieto, “On the use of microtremors for hydrocarbon detection”, Geophysical Prospecting, Geophysical Prospecting, 62, 897–909, 2014.
- Abdullatif Al-Shuhail, SanLinn I. Kaka, and Michael Jervis, ” Enhancement of Passive Microseismic Events using Seismic Interferometry “, Seismological Research Letters, vol. 84-5, 781-784,
- I. Kaka, “Seismic noise study for a new seismic station at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals in Saudi Arabia”, Advances in Geosci., 34, 29–32, 2013.
- SanLinn I. Kaka, “Passive Microseismic Experiments at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals in Saudi Arabia”, Seismological Research Letters, vol. 83, 680-685, 2012.
- Nieto D., L. Baradello, S. I. Kaka and A. Vesnaver, “Microtremors, a near-surface phenomenon?” Journal of Seismic Exploration, 20 (4), 2011.
- Gail M. Atkinson, SanLinn I. Kaka, David Eaton, Allison Bent, Veronika Peci, and Stephen Halchuk, “A very close look at a moderate earthquake near Sudbury, Ontario”, Seismological Research Letters, vol. 79, 119-131, 2008.
- Gail M. Atkinson and SanLinn I. Kaka, “Relationships between felt intensity and instrumental ground motion in the central U.S. and California”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 97, no. 2, 2007.
- SanLinn I. Kaka and Gail M. Atkinson, “Implementation of ShakeMap in Ontario: Challenges of detection and location in a sparse network”, Seismological Research Letters, 77, 780-792, 2006.
- SanLinn I. Kaka and Gail M. Atkinson, “ShakeMap for the MN 5.4, 6 March 2005 Rivière-du-Loup, Québec Earthquake”, Seismological Research Letters, 76, 745-755, 2005.
- SanLinn I. Kaka and Gail M. Atkinson, “Empirical Ground-Motion Relations for ShakeMap Applications in Southeastern Canada and the Northeastern United States”, Seismological Research Letters, 76, 274-282, 2005.
- SanLinn I. Kaka and Gail M. Atkinson, “Relationships between Instrumental Ground Motion Parameters and Modified Mercalli Intensity in Eastern North America, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 94, no. 5, 2004.