Dr. Israa S. Abu-Mahfouz
Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr Israa S. Abu-Mahfouz is an Assistant Professor of Structural Geology at the Department of Geosciences, College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences (CPG). She is the first female faculty member in the CPG-KFUPM. Dr Abu-Mahfouz is specialist in naturally fractured reservoirs, unconventional hydrocarbon reservoirs, geomechanics, fracture geochemistry, and reservoir modelling. She received her PhD degree in Petroleum/Structural Geology from the University of Oxford (UK), and she holds B.Sc. degree in Geology & Environment (2007) and M.Sc. degree in Applied Geology (2009) from the Hashemite University (Jordan).
Her work experience spans more than 13 years, where she fulfilled a wide variety of roles in the oil/gas industry and in research and academia. Main roles she held include Senior Geoscientist at Shell/Jordan, two Postdoctoral Fellowships (at Oxford University, UK and KAUST, KSA), Tutor at Oxford University, and a Research Scientist role at KAUST. She is an active member of different professional organizations (AAPG, GSL, OUGG, and JGA). Dr Abu-Mahfouz served as a committee member, chair, and organizer of different international conferences and workshops.
- Ph.D. in Geology (Structural Geology), University of Oxford, UK
- M.S. in Applied Geology, Hashemite University, Jordan
- B.S. in Geology and Environment, Hashemite University, Jordan
- Structural geology
- Characterization of carbonate/mudrock unconventional source rocks/ reservoirs, including structural characterization, rock physical/mechanical properties, organic/inorganic geochemistry, and petrography.
- Mechanical stratigraphy, diagenesis, hydrocarbon migration and maturation
- Characterization of naturally fractured reservoirs: geostatistical analysis, fracture geochemistry.
- Reservoir modelling and heterogeneity
- I.S. Abu-Mahfouz, J. Cartwright, E. Idiz, J.N. Hooker, S. Robinson. 2020. Silica diagenesis promotes early primary hydrocarbon migration. Geology 48 (5), 483–487. https://doi.org/10.1130/G47023.1.
- I.S. Abu-Mahfouz, J. Cartwright, E. Idiz, J.N. Hooker, S. Robinson, S.H.J.M. van den Boorn. 2019. Genesis and role of bitumen in fracture development during early catagenesis. Petroleum Geoscience, 26, 4. DOI:10.1144/petgeo2018-179
- J.N. Hooker, I.S. Abu-Mahfouz, Q. Meng, J. Cartwright. 2019. Fractures in mudrocks: Advances in constraining timing and understanding mechanisms. Journal of Structural Geology, 125, 166-173. DOI:10.1016/j.jsg.2018.04.020
- I.S. Abu-Mahfouz, A. Al-Malabeh, S. Rababeh. 2016. Geo-engineering evaluation of Harrat Irbid Basaltic Rocks, Irbid District—North Jordan. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 9, 5, 1-11. DOI:10.1007/s12517-016-2428-4
Extended Publications (+)
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Gaus, G., Grohmann, S., Klaver, J., Cartwright, J., Idiz, E., Littke, R., Patzek, T., Urai, J., S., Vahrenkamp, V. 2022. Improved Understanding Of Hydrocarbon Expulsion And Associated Fracturing During Successive Stages Of Maturation: Insights from the Artificial Maturation of Organic-rich, Immature to Early Mature Source Rocks. 2022. International Petroleum Technology Conference and Exhibition (IPTC 2022). Riyadh International Convention and Exhibition Centre in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabi. IPTC-21895-MS
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Ardila, M., Podlaha, O., Vahrenkamp, V., Geochemical and Petrographic Characterization of Lithofacies and Organofacies in Upper Cretaceous organic-rich Source Rocks from Jordan. 2022. International Petroleum Technology Conference and Exhibition (IPTC 2022). Riyadh International Convention and Exhibition Centre in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabi. IPTC-21914-MS
- S. Grohmann, G. Gaus, J. Klaver, I.S. Abu Mahfouz, V. Vahrenkamp, T. Patzek, J. Urai, R. Littke. 2021. Hydrous Pyrolysis of Source Rock Plugs: Geochemical and Visual Investigations and Implications for Primary Migration. European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers. DOI:10.3997/2214-4609.202134153
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S, Iakusheva, R., Finkbeiner, T., Cartwright, J., Santamarina, C. Vahrenkamp, V., 2021, Impact of rock composition and lithofacies variation on mechanical properties of organic-rich carbonate mudrocks: the Upper Cretaceous Muwaqqer Formation, Jordan, ARMA/DGS/SEG: 2nd International Geomechanics Symposium – conference presentation
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Cartwright, J., Idiz, E., Hooker, J.N. Robinson, S. 2020. Silica diagenesis promotes early primary hydrocarbon migration. Geology 48 (5), 483–487. https://doi.org/10.1130/G47023.1
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Cartwright, J., Vahrenkamp, V., Patzek, T., Littke, R., 2020. Fracture Development in Unconventional Reservoirs & its Role in Hydrocarbon Migration & Expulsion. Conference paper. AAPG Search and Discovery. Houston, USA
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S. Cartwright, J., Idiz, E., Hooker, J.N., Robinson, S., van den Boorn, S.H.J.M. 2019. Genesis and role of bitumen in fracture development during early catagenesis. Petroleum Geoscience, 26, 4. DOI:10.1144/petgeo2018-179
- Hooker, J.N., Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Meng, Q., Cartwright, G. 2019. Fractures in mudrocks: Advances in constraining timing and understanding mechanisms. Journal of Structural Geology, 125, 166-173. DOI:10.1016/j.jsg.2018.04.020
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Cartwright, J., Hooker, J.N., Gross, M.R., 2018. Natural Fracture Systems in Mudrocks (Upper Cretaceous-Eocene), Jordan. The Geology of Fractured Reservoirs, the Geological Society of London. London, UK
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Cartwright, J., 2016. Fracture development due to the growth of displacive concretions, Sicily, Italy
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Al-Barahmieh, M., 2014. Introduction to Lithofacies and Structures, for the Study of Mudrocks and their Formations, Jordan International Oil Shale Symposium, Dead Sea, Jordan
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S., Geo-Engineering and Geochemical Evaluation of Basalt Rocks, N Jordan, The 10th International Conference of Jordanian Geologists Association and the 7th International Symposium on Middle East Geology, Amman, Jordan
- Abu-Mahfouz, I.S, Al-Malabeh, A., Rababeh, Sh. 2016. Geo-engineering evaluation of Harrat Irbid Basaltic Rocks, Irbid District—North Jordan. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 9, 5, 1-11. DOI:10.1007/s12517-016-2428-4
Awards & Honors
- 2018: Burdett-Coutts Research Award, Department of Earth Sciences, Oxford University, UK
- 2017: St Peter’s College Research Award, Oxford University, UK
- 2017: AAPG Foundation Geoscience Research Award (Donald F. Towse Memorial Grant), US
- 2016: St Peter’s College Graduate Award, Oxford University, UK
- 2014: Shell-Oxford Fully-Funded Scholarship (4-year PhD project in Earth Sciences at Oxford University), UK
- 2008: Excellence Award (MSc. Degree), Hashemite University, Jordan
- Member, Oxford Geology Group, OGG, OUGG (2016-Present).
- Member, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, AAPG (2015-Present).
- Member, the Geological Society of London, GSL (2015-Present).
- Science Ambassador at Science Oxford (2014-2018).
- Member, Jordan Geologists Association, JGA (2008-Present).