Dr. Sayed M. Shakil Hussain
Research Scientist II, CIPR
Since 2012, Dr. Syed has been a Research Scientist III at Center for Integrative Petroleum Research (CPIR). Between 2009 – 2010, he was a postdoctoral researcher in Dr. Victor Snieckus group, Chemistry Department, Queen’s University. He has also been involved in several national-funded and client-funded research projects. He has an established track record of publishing high-quality articles in prestigious journals. His areas of interest include the synthesis and purification of surfactants, polymers, chelating agents and their use in various oilfield applications such as drilling mud, stimulation and enhanced oil recovery. Dr. Syed is also proficient in the use of air-sensitive and pyrophoric reagents.
- Postdoc, Homogeneous & Heterogeneous Catalysis, KFUPM, 2010-2012
- Postdoc, Homogeneous Catalysis, Queen’s University, Canada, 2009-2010
- Ph.D., Synthetic Organic Chemistry in sandwich program between Queen’s University, Canada and University of Karachi, 2009.
- MS, Organic Chemistry, University of Karachi, 2002.
- Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Lost Circulation Material
- Acid diversion
- Well Stimulation
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, M. Murtaza, “Synthesis of novel ethoxylated quaternary ammonium gemini surfactants for enhanced oil recovery application”, Energies, Vol. 12 (2019), pp. 1731.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, L. T. Fogang, Shirish Patil, “Effect of the number of ethylene oxide units on the properties of synthesized tailor-made cationic gemini surfactants for oilfield applications”, Journal of Molecular Structure, Vol. 1196 (2019), pp. 851.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, M. Murtaza, “Effect of Aromatic Spacer Groups and Counterions on Aqueous Micellar and Thermal Properties of the Synthesized Quaternary Ammonium Gemini Surfactants”, Journal of Molecular Liquids, Vol. 296, (2019), pp. 111837.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, Theis Solling, M. Murtaza, L. T. Fogang, “Surface and thermal properties of synthesized cationic poly(ethylene oxide) gemini surfactants: the role of the spacer”, RSC Advances, Vol. 9, (2019), pp. 30154.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, L. T. Fogang, “Synthesis and physicochemical investigation of betaine type polyoxyethylene zwitterionic surfactants containing different ionic headgroups”, Journal of Molecular Structure, Vol. 1178 (2019), pp. 83.
Awards & Honors
- Higher Education Commission of Pakistan International Scholarship Award.
- GRE (Subjective, Chemistry by ETS, USA) 61 percentile.
- Junior Research Fellowship Award from H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi.
Dr. Lamidi Olabode Babalola
Research Scientist II, CIPR
Dr. Babalola is an experienced geoscientist with a multidisciplinary background in geology, strong knowledge and competence in sedimentology, micropaleontology, palynology and environmental geochemistry. He possesses over 20 years of academic and industrial experience. He originally graduated in 1985 from The University of Ilorin, Nigeria with a BSC (Honors) in Geology and this was further supplemented with his graduation from KFUPM in 1999. In 2009, he secured a Ph.D. Geology from Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Ph.D., Geology, Carleton University, Canada, 2009.
- M.Sc., Geology, KFUPM, KSA, 1999.
- M.S., Applied Geology, Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria, 1992.
- B.S., Geology, University of Ilorin, Nigeria, 1985.
Geology, Sedimentology, Micropaleontology, Palynology and Environmental Geochemistry.
- Abouelresh, M.O., Babalola, L.O., 2020, 2D spatial analysis of the natural fractures in the organic-rich Qusaiba Shal.e outcrop, NW Saudi Arabia. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering,186, 1-13, 106780
- Abouelresh, M., Babalola, L., Bokhari, A., Omer, M., Koithan. K., and Boyde, D., 2020. Sedimentology, geochemistry and reservoir potential of the organic-rich Qusaiba Shale, Tabuk Basin, NW Saudi Arabia. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 111, 240-260.
- Adebayo, A.R., Babalola, L.O., Hussaini, S.R., Alqubalee, A., and. Babu, R.S, 2019. Insight into the Pore Characteristics of a Saudi Arabian Tight Gas Sand Reservoir. Energies, 12(22).
- Ismanto, A.W., Chan, S.A., Babalola, L.O., Kaminski, M.A., Al-Ramadan, K.A., Abdullatif, O.M., 2019. Microfacies, Biofacies, and Depositional Environments of the Bajocian-Bathonian Middle Dhruma Carbonates, Central Saudi Arabia. International Journal of earth Sciences,108(8), 2577–2601.
- Abdelkarim, A.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Babalola, L.O., Makkawi, M.H., Yassin, M.A., 2019. High-resolution lithofacies and porosity modeling of the mixed siliciclastic–carbonate deposits of the Burdigalian Dam Formation, Eastern Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Earth Sciences, 108(1), 155-172.
- Alqubalee, A., Abdullatif, Babalola, L., Makkawi, M., 2019. Characteristics of Paleozoic Tight Gas Sandstone Reservoir: Integration of Lithofacies, Paleoenvironments and Spectral Gamma Ray Analyses, Rub al Khali Basin, Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 12(11): 344 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-019-4467-0.
- Alqubalee, A., Babalola, L., Abdullatif, O., and Makkawi, M., 2019, Factors Controlling Reservoir Quality of a Paleozoic Tight Sandstone, Rub’ al Khali Basin, Saudi Arabia: Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 44(7), 6489-6507.
- Kaminski, M.A., Perdana, P., Abouelresh, M.O., and Babalola, L.O., 2019. Late Ordovician agglutinated foraminifera from the Ra’an Shale Member, Qasim Formation of Saudi Arabia as indicators of the O40 Maximum Flooding Surface. Stratigraphy, vol. 16, no. 1, text-figures 1–3, table 1: 27–39
Awards & Honors
- Overall Best Student in Geology Award, University of Ilorin, Nigeria (1984/85)
- Graduate Fellowship Award, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria (1989-1990)
- AAPG Grant-in-Aid Award (1998, 2007)
- Research Assistantship, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (1997-2000)
- Alice Wilson Scholarship for Paleontological Research ( Carleton University, 2007)
- Entrance Scholarship Award (Carleton University, 2003/2004)
- Domestic Student Tuition Award (Carleton University, 2004-2006)
- Teaching and Research Assistantships, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada (2004-2009)
- Millennium Gold Bursary (Carleton University, 2009)