Dr. Ahmed Al-Yaseri
Research Engineer III, CIPR
Dr. Ahmed Al-Yaseri joined the Center for Integrative Petroleum Research (CIPR) in December 2021 as a Research Engineer III in the Petrophysics group, College of Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Saudi Arabia. His research interests focus on carbon dioxide and hydrogen storage, multi-phase flow in porous media, and improved hydrocarbon recovery. Al-Yaseri is the author of over 87 technical papers until November 2022 and named to Stanford University list of the World’s Top 2% Scientists for 2023 . Al-Yaseri has more than 15 years of teaching and research experience, and for the past eight years, he has focused on CO2 and H2 storage. He built/commissioned the advanced and novel reservoir facilities in the Petroleum Departments at Curtin University and Edith Cowan University (Australia), including three state-of-the-art core-flooding cells for Micro-CT and medical CT, Zeta Streaming Potential core-flooding, and core-flooding for NMR testing at reservoir conditions. Currently, he is involved in many collaborative research studies with CSIRO-Australia, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Curtin University/Australia, and Saudi Aramco.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Curtin University, Australia, 2018.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, University of Oklahoma, USA, 2010.
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, University of Baghdad, Iraq, 2002.
- Gas storage (H2 and CO2)
- Enhanced Oil and Gas Recovery
- Multi-phase flow through porous media
- Wettability and Interfacial Phenomena
- X-ray micro-computed tomography
- Unconventionals (Gas hydrates, Coal, Shale)
- Ahmed Al-Yaseri, Nilesh Kumar Jha, On hydrogen wettability of basaltic rock, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering,Volume 200, 2021.
- Al-Yaseri, A. Z., Roshan, H., Lebedev, M., Barifcani, A., and Iglauer, S., Dependence of quartz wettability on fluid density, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 3771– 3776, 2016.
- Iglauer, S., Al-Yaseri, A. Z., Rezaee, R., and Lebedev, M., CO2wettability of caprocks: Implications for structural storage capacity and containment security, Geophys. Res. Lett., 42, 9279– 9284, 2015.
- Faisal Ur Rahman Awan, Ahmed Al-Yaseri, Hamed Akhondzadeh, Stefan Iglauer, Alireza Keshavarz, Influence of mineralogy and surfactant concentration on zeta potential in intact sandstone at high pressure, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science,Volume 607, Part 1, 2022.
- Ahmed Al-Yaseri, Domenik Wolff-Boenisch, Cut Aja Fauziah, Stefan Iglauer, Hydrogen wettability of clays: Implications for underground hydrogen storage, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy,Volume 46, Issue 69, 2021.
Extended Publications (+)
- Nilesh Kumar Jha, Ahmed Al-Yaseri, Mohsen Ghasemi, Duraid Al-Bayati, Maxim Lebedev, Mohammad Sarmadivaleh,Pore scale investigation of hydrogen injection in sandstone via X-ray micro-tomography, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy,Volume 46, Issue 70, 2021.
- Muhammad Ali, Nilesh Kumar Jha, Ahmed Al-Yaseri, Yihuai Zhang, Stefan Iglauer, Mohammad Sarmadivaleh, Hydrogen wettability of quartz substrates exposed to organic acids; Implications for hydrogen geo-storage in sandstone reservoirs, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering,Volume 207,2021.
- Ahmed Z. Al-Yaseri, Maxim Lebedev, Sarah J. Vogt, Michael L. Johns, Ahmed Barifcani, Stefan Iglauer, Pore-scale analysis of formation damage in Bentheimer sandstone with in-situ NMR and micro-computed tomography experiments, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Volume 129, 2015.
- Hamed Akhondzadeh, Alireza Keshavarz, Ahmed Z. Al-Yaseri, Muhammad Ali, Faisal Ur Rahman Awan, Xin Wang, Yongfei Yang, Stefan Iglauer, Maxim Lebedev, Pore-scale analysis of coal cleat network evolution through liquid nitrogen treatment: A Micro-Computed Tomography investigation, International Journal of Coal Geology, Volume 219, 2020.
- Ahmed Z. Al-Yaseri, Maxim Lebedev, Ahmed Barifcani, Stefan Iglauer,Receding and advancing (CO2+brine+quartz) contact angles as a function of pressure, temperature, surface roughness, salt type and salinity,The Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics,Volume 93, 2016
Awards & Honors
- Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education Scholarship, 2014 to 2017
- Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education Scholarship, 2008 to 2010
- Top 3% most cited category in the journal Energy and Fuels
- The World’s Top 2% Scientists for 2023 by Stanford University
Dr. Alade Olalekan Saheed
Research Engineer III, CIPR
Dr. Olalekan S. Alade joined the Petroleum Engineering Department, KFUPM as a Postdoctoral Researcher in May 2018. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Earth Resources Engineering from Kyushu University, Japan (2017), with specialties in hydrocarbon resources production. His research experiences span thermal and non-thermal methods for heavy and extra-heavy oil (bitumen) recovery, production, and transportation, heavy oil extraction from oil sand and upgrading. During his doctoral studies, he worked in collaboration and shared research information with the Kuraray Company, Japan, and Japan Petroleum Exploration Co. Ltd. Dr. Alade is an active member of SPE and was a recipient of the SPE Star Fellowship Award between 2013 and 2016.
- Ph.D., Earth Resources Engineering
- M.S., Chemical Engineering
- B.Tech., Chemical Engineering
General focus: Petroleum Production Engineering and Enhanced Oil Recovery
Current and future areas of interest:
- Advanced EOR methods for heavy and extra heavy oil (bitumen), tarmat and oil sands
- Particulate processes in porous media and formation damage
- Natural gas production
- Microbial EOR systems (bio-kinetics and energetic as related to EOR)
- Mohamed Mahmoud, O. S. Alade, Mohamed Hamdy, Shirish Patil, Esmail M. A. Mokheimer. 2019. In Situ Steam and Nitrogen Gas Generation by Thermochemical Fluid Injection: A New Approach for heavy Oil Recovery. Energy Conversion and Management, Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2019.112203
- O. S. Alade, M. Hamdy, M. Mahmoud, D. A. Al Shehri, M. A. Mokheimer, Shirish Patil, Ayman Al-Nakhli, Mohammed Bataweel. A Preliminary Assessment of Thermochemical Fluid for Heavy Oil Recovery. 2019, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.106702
- O. S. Alade, M. Mahmoud, D. A. Al Shehri, A. S. Ganiyu, Ayman Al-Nakhli, Mohammed Bataweel. 2019. Kinetics of Thermal Decomposition of Tar in the Presence of Air and Nitrogen Gas. ACS Energy & Fuels. DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b02394
- O. S. Alade, M. Mahmoud, A. Hassan, D. Al-Shehri, A. Al-Nakhli, M. Bataweel. 2019. Evaluation of kinetics and Energetics of Thermochemical Fluids for Enhanced Recovery of Heavy Oil and Liquid Condensate. Energy Fuels. ACS. DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b00681
- O. S. Alade, M. Mahmoud, D. A. Al Shehri. 2019. Investigation into the effect of silica nanoparticles on the rheological characteristics of water-in-heavy oil emulsions. Petroleum Science, Springer. DOI: 10.1007/s12182-019-0330-x
Awards & Honors
- Kyushu University Doctoral Student Scholarship (2016)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Star Fellowship (2013-2017)
- Best Paper, Surface Facility, World Heavy Oil Congress, Calgary, Canada (2016)
Dr. Weiqing Chen (Jerromy Chan)
Research Engineer III, CIPR
- March, 2017 – Present: KFUPM
- November, 2014 – January, 2016：Schlumberger.
- December, 2010 – November, 2014: Drilling & Production Engineering Technology Research Institute of CNPC Chuan-qing Drilling Engineering Corporation.
- April, 2007 – December, 2010: Post-Doctoral Research Center of Sichuan Petroleum Administration Bureau of CNPC (China National Petroleum Corporation).
- 2007-2009 Postdoctoral Research Station of Drilling & Production Engineering Technology Research Institute of CNPC Chuan-qing Drilling Engineering Company, Ltd., Post-doctor.
- 2004-2007 Petroleum Engineering College of Petroleum University of China (East China), doctoral candidate.
- 2001-2004 Petroleum Engineering College of Petroleum University of China (East China), master degree candidate.
- 1997-2001 Petroleum Engineering College of Petroleum University of China (East China), bachelor candidate.
- Drilling Engineering
- Mingbo Wang, Yaliang Guo, Weiqing Chen. “Effect of Solid Particles on the Lost Circulation of Drilling Fluid: A Numerical Simulation”. Powder Technology. (2020) 363: 408-418.
- Abdulmalek Ahmed, Ahmed Abdulhamid Mahmoud, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Weiqing Chen. “The Effect of Weighting Materials on Oil-Well Cement Properties While Drilling Deep Wells”. Sustainability. (2019), 11(23), 6776. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11236776
- Nu Lu, Jian Hou, Yongge Liu, Maria A. Barrufet, Yajie Bai, Yunkai Ji, Ermeng Zhao, Weiqing Chen, Kang Zhou. “Revised Inflow Performance Relationship for Productivity Prediction and Energy Evaluation Based on Stage Characteristics of Class III Methane Hydrate Deposits”. Energy. 189, 116211 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.116211
- Yuqiang Xu, Mengna Jiang, Zhichuan Guan, Weiqing Chen. “Analysis and determination method of addition mud density in casing program design”. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. (2019) 184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.106503
- Jintang Wang, Baojiang Sun, Weiqing Chen, Jianchun Xu, Zhiyuan Wang. “Calculation model of unsteady temperature-pressure fields in wellbores and fractures of supercritical CO2 fracturing”, Fuel. (2019) 253:1168-1183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2019.05.111
Awards & Honors
- April, 2013 – Honored with the first session of “Ten Excellent Youth Pacesetter” of CCDC (CNPC Chuan-qing Drilling Engineering Company, Ltd.)
- January, 2013 – Honored with the first prize of Progress Prize in Science & Technology of CCDC because of the distribution for R & D project of CQEMWD- I Wireline Relayed Measurement While Drilling Sys.
- May, 2011 – Honored with the first session of “Top Ten Excellent Youth” of Drilling & Production Engineering Technology Research Institute of CCDC.
- April, 2011 – Honored with the first prize of Progress Prize in Science & Technology of CCDC because of the distribution for research project of Trajectory Controlling Technology Research on Directional & Horizontal Gas Drilling.
- November, 2010 – Honored with the first prize of First Session “Technological Achievements Reporting in English Competition” of Drilling & Production Engineering Technology Research Institute of CCDC.
- October, 2010 – Honored with the first prize of Progress Prize in Science & Technology of South-west Oil & Gas Company because of the distribution for research project of Research on Horizontal Gas Drilling Matched Technology.
- February, 2009 – Honored with Excellence Award of “2008 CCDC Drilling & Completion Technological Papers Competition”.
- June, 2008 – Honored with the first prize of Progress Prize in Science & Technology of CCDC because of the distribution for research project of Research on Directional Drilling with Gas Technique.
- November, 2005 – Honored with the third prize of Excellent Science & Technology Achievement Prize of Petroleum University of China (East China) for the distribution for research project of Fast Drilling Technology Research on Deep Well in Complex Geo-structure.