Dr. Ali Imran Sandhu
Post-Doc Fellow, CIPR
Received the B.S. degree in electronics engineering from COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI), Abbottabad, Pakistan, in 2007, the M.S. degree in communication engineering from the Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden, in 2010, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the Division of Computer, Electrical, and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia, in 2020. From 2011 to 2013, he was a Research Engineer with the Microwave Laboratory, University of Calabria, Rende, Italy. From August 2007 to September 2021, he served as a lecturer to the electrical and computer engineering department at CUI, Lahore, Pakistan, where he taught at undergraduate and graduate levels.
Dr. Sandhu is currently working as a postdoc fellow at the CIPR at the CPG at KFUPM. His research interests include applied computational electromagnetics with emphasis on characterization of electromagnetic fields and wave interactions on complex geometries, and solution of two- and three-dimensional joint EM and Seismic inverse problems incorporating signal processing and machine learning techniques. Dr. Sandhu was the finalist for the student poster competition at the IEEE IST conference in 2016 and secured the best student paper nomination at the IEEE Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Conference in 2017. He was also awarded with two Bronze medals for securing distinction in his undergraduate discipline at campus as well as institute levels at CUI, Pakistan.
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Division of Computer, Electrical, and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- M.Sc. Electrical Engineering, CHALMERS University of Science and Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
- B.Sc. Electronics Engineering, COMSATS University Islamabad, Abbottabad, Pakistan
- Applied Computational Electromagnetics
- Electromagnetic Inverse Scattering with emphasis on geophysical applications
- Physics informed neural networks applied to electromagnetic geophysics
- JOURNAL PAPERS
- A. I. Sandhu, A. Desmal, S.A. Shaukat and H. Bagci, “A Neural Network Assisted Greedy Algorithm For Sparse Electromagnetic Imaging”, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 6093-6098, 2021.
- A. I. Sandhu, A. Desmal and H. Bagci (2021), “An Accelerated Nonlinear Contrast Source Inversion Scheme for Sparse Electromagnetic Imaging”, in IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 54811-54819, 2021
- A. I. Sandhu, e.t. al, “Radiating elements for shared aperture Tx/Rx phased arrays at K/Ka band”, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag, vol. 64, no. 6, pp: 2270-2282, 2016.
- CONFERENCE PAPERS
- A. I. Sandhu, S.A. Shaukat, A. Desmal and H. Bagci (2020) “A Machine Learning Assisted Compressive Sensing Approach for Sparse Electromagnetic Imaging”, IEEE International Conference on Computational Electromagnetics (ICCEM), Singapore
- A. I. Sandhu, A. Desmal and H. Bagci (2019) “A Self-Adaptive Accelerated Contrast Source Inversion Scheme for Nonlinear Electromagnetic Imaging”, IEEE International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques (IST), AbuDhabi
Extended Publications (+)
- CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Desmal, A. I. Sandhu and H. Bagci (2019) “Nonlinear Projected Sparse Optimization Approach Based on Adam Algorithm for Microwave Imaging”, Advances in Science and Engineering Technology multi-conferences (ASET), AbuDhabi
- A. I. Sandhu, A. Desmal and H. Bagci (2018) “An Accelerated Contrast Source Inversion Scheme For Nonlinear Electromagnetic Imaging”, IEEE Progress In Electromagnetics Research (IEEE PIERS), Toyama, Japan
- A. I. Sandhu and H. Bagci (2017) “A Modified CoSaMP Algorithm For Electromagnetic Imaging of Two Dimensional Domains”, International Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Symposium (IEEE ACES), Florence, Italy
- A. I. Sandhu, A. Desmal and H. Bagci (2017) “A Projected Steepest Descent Accelerated Contrast- Source Inversion Scheme for Nonlinear Electromagnetic Imaging”, IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and Radio Science Meeting (APS-URSI), San-Diego, U.S
- A. I. Sandhu, A. Desmal and H. Bagci (2016) “A Sparsity Regularized In-Exact Newton Method for the Reconstruction of Two Dimensional Inhomogeneous Domains”, IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and Radio Science Meeting (IEEE-APS-URSI), Puerto Rico, U.S
- A. I. Sandhu, A. Desmal and H. Bagci (2016) “A Sparsity-Regularized Born Iterative Method for Reconstruction of Two-Dimensional Piecewise Continuous Inhomogeneous Domains”, IEEE European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Davos, Switzerland
- Shi, A. I. Sandhu, e.t. al (2015) “Analysis of Transient Electromagnetic Wave Interactions on Graphene Sheets Using Integral Equations”, IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and Radio Science Meeting (APS-URSI), Vancouver, Canada
- F Greco, G Amendola, E Arnieri, L Boccia, and A. I. Sandhu (2014) “A dual-band, dual-polarized array element for Ka band satcom on the move terminals”, IEEE European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Hague, Netherlands
- Boccia, A. Shamsafar, E. Arnieri, A. I. Sandhu, e.t. al (2014) “SiGe BiCMOS technology for Ka-band satcom on the move user terminals”, IEEE European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Hague, Netherlands
- G. Amendola, E. Arnieri, L. Boccia and A. I. Sandhu (2013) “An efficient analysis of lossy substrate integrated waveguide resonators”, IEEE European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Gothenburg, Sweden
Awards & Honors
- 2004-2007 COMSATS University Tution Waiver Scholarship Pakistan
- 2007 COMSATS Institute and Campus Bronze Medals, Pakistan
- 2008 COMSATS Faculty Development Program Scholarship to pursue Master Studies from CHALMERS University of Science and Technology, Sweden
- 2010 Curtin International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (CIPRS), Perth, Australia
- 2013 KAUST Ph.D. Fellowship, Saudi Arabia
- 2017 Best Student Paper Nomination at IEEE ACES Conference, Florence, Italy
- 2019 Finalist for Poster Competition at IEEE IST Conference, Abu Dhabi
Dr. Adhipa Herlambang
Post-Doc Fellow, CIPR
Dr. Adhipa is a carbonate and structural geologist. Specialized in the novel clumped isotopes laboratory analysis related to the fracture. Experienced with detailed structure-carbonate geological fieldworks and aerial drone photogrammetry.
- Ph.D. DIC., Earth Science and Engineering Department, Imperial College London – UK (2021)
- M.S., Geological Engineering Department, Institute Technology of Bandung – Indonesia (2014)
- B.S., Geological Engineering Department, Institute Technology of Bandung – Indonesia (2010)
- Carbonate clumped isotope thermometry
- Structurally-controlled carbonate diagenesis
- Aerial photogrammetry
- Sequence Stratigraphy-Facies Analysis and Stylolite-Fracture Characterization Related to Porosity-Permeability in Carbonate Facies of Rajamandala Formation of Cikamuning Area, West Java-Indonesia. AAPG (American Association of Petroleum Geologist), 2012.
- Combining Clumped Isotope and Trace Element Analysis to Constrain Potential Kinetic Effect in Calcite. Herlambang A & John C. M. GCAElsevier (Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta), 2021
Awards & Honors
Best Poster of AAPG (American Association of Petroleum Geologist) ICE, Singapore, 2012.