Dr. Theis Ivan Solling
Director, Oilfield Chemistry Program, Program Leader, CIPR
Dr. Solling is currently a Senior Research Scientist and the Program Lead of the Oilfield Chemistry program in the Center for Integrative Petroleum Research, College of Petroleum Engineering & Geoscience, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. Dr. Solling has a background in Physical Organic Chemistry as studied with ultrafast lasers, and interest that came from his postdoc years at Caltech under the guidance of late Professor Ahmed H. Zewail. After a three year position as a Researcher at Risø National Labs, Dr. Solling became Associate Professor (Organic Chemistry) at the University of Copenhagen and worked on ultrafast phenomena until he was appointed team lead at Maersk Oil Research and Technology Centre in Qatar. He returned to the University of Copenhagen as a Full Professor in 2016 to set up an educational specialization in Chemistry for the oil and gas sector. In 2018 he moved to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to be a part of CIPR.
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 2000.
- M.S., Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1997.
- Reaction Dynamics and ultra-fast processes in organic molecules
- Pore-scale phenomena
- Molecular level understanding of liquid-liquid and liquid-solid interfaces
- Mechanisms for the transformation of organic molecules
- M. Farrell, M. M. Brister, M. Pittelkow, T. I. Sølling, C. E. Crespo-Hernández, Heavy-Atom-Substituted Nucleobases in Photodynamic Applications: Substitution of Sulfur with Selenium in 6-Thioguanine Induces a Remarkable Increase in the Rate of Triplet Decay in 6-Selenoguanine
J. Am. Chem. Soc., DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b07665
- S. Al-Kaabi, M. A. Al-Ghouti, M. Oualha, M. A. Mohammad, A. Al-Naemi, T. I. Solling, N. Al-Shamari, N. Zouari, A MALDI-TOF study of bio-remediation in highly weathered oil contaminated soils
J. Petrol. Sci. Eng. 2018, 168, 569-576.
- Muñoz, T. I. Sølling Imaging emulsions: the effect of salinity on North Sea Oils
J. Petrol. Sci. Eng. 2017, 159, 483-487.
- S. Al-Kaabi, M. Kristensen, N. Zouari, T. I. Sølling, S. S. Bach, M. Al-Ghouti, J. H. Christensen,
Source identification of beached oil at Al Zubarah, Northwestern Qatar
J.Petrol. Sci. Eng. 2017,149, 107-113.
- Noe-Nygaard, F. Engstrøm, S. Roth, T. I. Sølling, Image-Based Petrophysical Parameters: CT Imaging of Chalk Cuttings and Experimental Comparisons by Plug-Size Upscaling
SPE J. 2017, 22, SPE-183634-PA.
- O. F. Thompson, L. B. Klein, T. I. Sølling, M. J. Paterson, D. Townsend,
The role of novel Rydberg-valence behaviour in the non-adiabatic dynamics of tertiary aliphatic amines
Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 1826-1839.
- Park, H. Pham, K, Mogensen, M. V. Bennetzen, T. I. Sølling, K. Houk
Hydrocarbon Binding by Proteins: Structures of Protein Binding Sites for >= C-10 Linear Alkanes or Long-Chain Alkyl and Alkenyl Groups
Org Chem. 2015, 80, 997-1005.
- I. Sølling, K. B. Møller, A. B. Stephansen, T. S. Kuhlman
Invited mini review: The Non-Ergodic Nature of Internal Conversion
ChemPhysChem, 2014, 15, 249-259.
- Sørensen, B. Rasmussen, S. Agarwal, M. Schau-Magnussen, T. I. Sølling, M. Pittelkow
Conversion of Phenols into Selenophenols: Seleno Newman-Kwart Rearrangement
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 12346-12349.
- Stephansen, R. Y. Brogaard, T. S. Kuhlman, L. B. Klein, J. B. Christensen, T. I. Sølling
Surprising Intrinsic Photostability of the Disulfid bridge Common in Proteins
J.Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 134, 20279-20281
- S. Kuhlman, M. Pittelkow, T. I. Sølling, K. B. Møller
Pulling the Levers of Photo Physics: How Structure Controls the Rate of Energy Dissipation
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 2247-2250 (cover).
Awards & Honors
- Professor of the Year, Department of Chemistry, 2017
- Torkild Holms Foundation. Young Researcher Award
- Danish Universities/JSPS: Denmark-Japan Researcher Exchange Award