Lecturer, Department of Geosciences
Currently employed as a Lecturer at CPG and been in post for over 7 years. In 2002 Ayman received his BS in geophysics from the Geosciences Department then on completion of his Degree, he returned to the Department as a lecturer in 2010. His career path then took him to Schlumberger where he worked for 7 years, during which time he also secured his Master of Science Degree in Geophysics from KFUPM.
- M.S., Geophysics, KFUPM, KSA, 2008
- B.S., Geophysics, KFUPM, KSA, 2002
- Near-Surface Geophysics
- Seismic Data Processing
- Abdullatif A. Al-Shuhail, Abdullah A. Alshuhail, Yehia A. Khulief, Oluseun A. Sanuade1, Ayman F. Al-Lehyani, Septriandi A. Chan, Abdul Latif Ashadi, Mohammed Zia Ullah Khan, Sikandar Khan, Adnan M. Almubarak, Salem G. Al-Juhani And Syed Abdul Salam. “Digital viscoelastic seismic models and data sets of central saudi arabia in the presence of near-surface karst features.” Journal of Seismic Exploration 29.1 (2020): 15-28.
- Greenhalgh, S., Al-Lehyani, A., Schmelzbach, C., & Sollberger, D. “Single Station Triaxial Seismic Event Detection, Direction Finding and Polarization Analysis.” SPE Middle East Oil and Gas Show and Conference. Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2019.
- Al-Shuhail, Abdullatif A., et al. “KFUPM Ghawar digital viscoelastic seismic model.” Arabian Journal of Geosciences 12.7 (2019): 245.
- Al-Lehyani, Ayman Fazea, and Abdullatif Abdulrahman Al-Shuhail. “Mapping and attenuation of surface waves side scattered by near-surface diffractors.” Arabian Journal of Geosciences 7.2 (2014): 757-771.
- Mousa, Wail A., Abdullatif A. Al-Shuhail, and Ayman Al-Lehyani. “A new technique for first-arrival picking of refracted seismic data based on digital image segmentation.” Geophysics 76.5 (2011): V79-V89.
Mutasim Sami Osman
Lecturer, Department of Geosciences
From Sept. 2015 till the present day, Mutasim has been lecturing on Geosciences at CPG, KFUPM. teaching Principles of Geology Lab and Structural Geology Course as well as participating in the Field Geology Course. Between Jun. 2014-15 he was a Research Assistant and had participated in several projects in sedimentology, stratigraphy and digital modeling, geological field investigation, stratigraphic concepts, core description, porosity, and permeability measurements, SEM, XRD analysis and “acquisition, processing, and interpretation of LiDAR data”.
- M.Sc., Geology, KFUPM, KSA, 2014.
- Diploma, Computer Applications, Aldanga, Sudan. 2010.
- B.S. (Hons.), Petroleum Geology, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 2009.
Although all Earth Sciences related research are capturing my interest, some are more closely to my heart those are, in random order:
Sedimentology, Structural Geology and Geomechanics, Digital Outcrop Modelling and GIS Applications in Geology.
- M.S. Osman and J. Cline, 2020: Advances in the Digital Outcrop Modeling Software and Workflow: Examples and Lessons from Outcrops: Saudi Arabia. Conference Proceedings, First EAGE Digitalization Conference and Exhibition, Nov 2020, Volume 2020, p.1 – 5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3997/2214-4609.202032093.
- Osman, M., and O. Abdullatif. “Reservoir Heterogeneity and Quality of the Lower to Middle Paleozoic Formations; Outcrop Analogue, Saudi Arabia” 81st EAGE Conference and Exhibition 2019 (2019), Extended Abstract (DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.201901467).
- O.M. Abdullatif, M.S. Osman, M.A. Yassin, 2019: Digital Outcrop Analog Reservoir Model of the Miocene Turbidite Sandstones, Midyan Area, Red Sea Region, Saudi Arabia. SPE -195002-MS.
- Mohamed A. Yassin, Osman M. Abdullatif, Mohammad H. Makkawi, Ibrahim M. Yousif, and Mutasim S. Osman, 2019: Characterization and Modeling of the Geo-Body Geometries and the Reservoir Properties: An Outcrop Analog Study of Jurassic Carbonate Reservoirs in Central Saudi Arabia. SPE-194697-MS.
- Mutasim Osman, Osman Abdullatif, Mazin Bashri and Jarrah Babikr, 2018: Geological Outcrop Modeling of the Minjur and Marrat Formations, Integration of Sedimentology and Lidar Data, central Saudi Arabia. Chapter 8 In book: Lower Triassic to Middle Jurassic Sequence of the Arabian Plate Publisher: EAGE.
- Osman M., Abdullatif O. and Alfarhan M., 2017: Workflow of Integration of Digital Outcrop Modeling and Sedimentology of the Early Triassic Upper Khartam Member of Khuff Formation, Central Saudi Arabia. Arab J Geosci 10:297.
- Hassan A. Eltom, Osman M. Abdullatif, Lameed O. Babalola, Mazin A. Bashari, Mohamed Yassin, Mutasim S. Osman, Asaad M. Abdulraziq, 2017: Integration of facies architecture, ooid granulometry and morphology for prediction of reservoir quality, Lower Triassic Khuff Formation, Saudi Arabia. Petroleum Geoscience, doi:10.1144/petgeo2015-071.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Babalola, L.O., Bashari, M.A., Yassin, M., Osman, M.S., Abdulraziq, A.M., 2016: Geochemical characterization of the permian-triassic transition at outcrop, central Saudi Arabia. Journal of Petroleum Geology, V. 39 (1), P. 95-113
Khalid Ahmed Abdulrahman
Lecturer, Department of Geosciences
Khalid started his career in 2008 as a computer operating system specialist under IT in Saudi Aramco. He also worked in the Exploration and Petroleum Engineering Computer Center (EXPEC) in the company. Khalid joined KFUPM in 2012 as a graduate assistant in the geosciences department where he shifted his focus towards geophysics and finished non-degree pre-graduate courses in geophysics in 2014 before earning his master’s degree in 2017. As a graduate assistant, Khalid assisted in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in the fields of geology and geophysics, such as Physical Geology (lab), Regional Geology, Essentials of Geophysics, Seismic Exploration, Seismic Data Processing, Reflection Seismology (graduate) and Seismic Data Analysis (graduate). Khalid also assisted in teaching undergraduate senior project course, where the focus was on GPR method. After being promoted to the rank of lecturer, Khalid continued his tasks in teaching undergraduate and graduate students. He is also working with the Remote Sensing Lab (RSL) to integrate photogrammetry & 3D modeling with other geophysical methods.
- M.S. in Geophysics, KFUPM, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, 2017.
- B.S. Information and Computer Science, KFUPM, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, 2008.
- Seismic Data Processing and Interpretation
- Remote Sensing
- Abdullatif A. Al-Shuhail, Abdullah A. Alshuhail, Yehia A. Khulief, Septriandi A. Chan, Abdul Latif Ashadi, Ayman F. Al-Lehyani, Adnan M. Almubarak, Mohammed Zia Ullah Khan, Sikandar Khan, Salem G. AlJuhani and Khalid A. Abdulrahman, “KFUPM Ghawar Digital Viscoelastic Seismic Model”, Arabian Journal of Geosciences (2019) 12:245, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-019-4390-4
Awards & Honors
- Awarded Best Computer Science Senior Project in KFUPM. 2007.
Assad Ahmed Abdallah Barri
Lecturer, Department of Petroleum Engineering
On September 2021 Assad was hired by the Petroleum Engineering Dept. as a Lecturer assisting the professors with the routine teaching and research assignments.
Formerly, he spent eight years for White Nile Petroleum Operating Co. – one of Sudan’s biggest oil companies, with a role responsible for scheduling service and testing required for oil wells. After that he joint petroleum department at KFUPM as technical research assistant on September 2012 to conduct his mater degree. Then he joined the petroleum department as technical researcher on June 2015. He was part of many research teams.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2015
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 2003
- Matrix stimulation
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR)
- Barri, A.A., Hassan, A.M., Aljawad, MS, M Mahmoud, 2021. Effect of Treatment Conditions on Matrix Stimulation of Carbonate Rocks with Chelating Agents. Arab J Sci Eng.
- Tinku Saikia, Abdullah Sultan, Assad A. Barri, Nur Iman Khamidy, Abdulmalek A. Shamsan, Ayman Almohsin, Mohammed Bataweel, 2020. Development of pickering emulsified polymeric gel system for conformance control in high temperature reservoirs, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Volume 184.
- Badr S. Bageri, Abdulrauf Rasheed Adebayo, Assad Barri, Jaber Al Jaberi, Shirish Patil, Syed Rizwanullah Hussaini, Rahul S. Babu, 2019. Evaluation of secondary formation damage caused by the interaction of chelated barite with formation rocks during filter cake removal, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, V. 183.
- Elhaj, Murtada A., Barri, Assad , Hashan, Mahamudul , and M. Enamul Hossain, 2018. “State of the Art on Porosity and Permeability Hysteresis: Useful Techniques for Hydrocarbon Recovery.” Paper presented at the SPE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Annual Technical Symposium and Exhibition.
- Abdulrauf Rasheed Adebayo, Assad A. Barri, Muhammad Shahzad Kamal, 2017. “Effect of Flow Direction on Relative Permeability Curves in Water/Gas Reservoir System: Implications in Geological CO2 Sequestration”, Geofluids, vol. 2017.
Extended Publications (+)
- Assad Barri, M.A. Mahmoud, & S Elkatatny, 2016. “Evaluation of Rock Mechanical Properties Alteration during Matrix Stimulation with Chelating Agents”. Journal of Energy Resources Technology (JERT), volume 138.
- Assad Barri & M. A. Mahmoud, 2015. “Effect of Stimulation with Chelating Agents on Carbonate Rocks Integrity”. SPE 172709-MS paper @ MEOS in Al-Manama, Bahrain, March 2015.
- Assad Barri & Sami Alnuaim, 2014. “A Graphical Method to Evaluate Multi-Reservoir Commingling”. SPE 172194-MS paper presented in Al Khobar Symposium, KSA.