Dr. SanLinn I. Kaka
Associate Professor, Graduate Coordinator, CPG Student Affairs Office, Department of Geosciences
Dr. SANLINN I. KAKA received his Ph.D. degree in Earth Sciences from Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada in 2006. Currently, he is a faculty member and graduate coordinator in the Department of Geosciences at King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals. His research interests are in the areas of engineering seismology, reservoir characterization and monitoring, ground-motions relations and near-surface geophysics. His recent research focuses on applications of microseismic monitoring systems, enhancement, detection and localization of microseismic events as well as understanding fracture growth and the role of pre-existing fractures during multi-stage hydraulic fracture stimulation of shale gas reservoirs
- Ph.D., Earth Sciences, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, 2006.
- Application of advanced signal processing techniques
- Analysis of microseismic data for reservoir monitoring and characterization
- Near surface geophysics
- Probabilistic seismic hazard analysis & Empirical ground motion relations
- S L Kaka, “Stress Mechanism of Microseismic Events During Hydraulic Fracture Stimulation for Unconventional Hydrocarbon Reservoirs”, 82nd EAGE Annual Conference & Exhibition (1), 1-14, 2020.
- Sağır, Ç., Kurtuluş, B., Soupios, P., Ayrancı, K., Düztaş, E., Aksoy, M.E., Avşar, Ö.,Erdem, G., Pekkan, E., Canoğlu, M.C., Kaka, S.I., Razack, M, “Investigating the Structure of a Coastal Karstic Aquifer through the Hydrogeological Characterization of Springs Using Geophysical Methods and Field Investigation, Gökova Bay, SW Turkey” Water 12, 3343, 2020.
- Dmitry Alexandrov, Leo Eisner, Umair bin Waheed, SanLinn I. Kaka and Stewart Alan Greenhalgh, “Detection, location and source mechanism determination with large noise variations in surface microseismic monitoring”, Geophysics, 85 (6), 1-37, 2020.
- Dmitry Alexandrov, Leo Eisner, SanLinn Kaka, Stewart Greenhalgh and Umair ben Waheed, “Normal faulting activated by hydraulic fracturing: A case study from the Barnett Shale, Fort Worth Basin, Texas, USA” accepted, the Leading Edge, 39 (3), 204-211. 2020.
- RC Sidle, B Jarihani, S L I Kaka, J Koci, A Al-Shaibani, “ Hydrogeomorphic processes affecting dryland gully erosion: Implications for modelling”, Progress in Physical Geography: Earth and Environment 43 (1), 46-64, 2019.
- RC Sidle, AM Al‐Shaibani, S L I Kaka, “Geomorphic hazards in south‐west Saudi Arabia: The human–environmental nexus”, Area 51 (4), 670-680, 2019.
- N Iqbal, B Liu, M Deriche, A Al-Shuhail, S L Kaka, A Zerguine, “Blind noise estimation and denoising filter for recovery of microquake signals”, Exploration Geophysics 50 (5), 502-513, 2019.
- M Al‐Marzooq, MS Diallo, V Etienne, T Tonellot, S L I Kaka, “Mitigating the effects of sand dunes on seismic data from the Rub al Khali basin, Saudi Arabia”, Geophysical Prospecting 67 (7), 1825-1837, 2019.
- AO Adelu, AA Aderemi, AO Akanji, OA Sanuade, S L I Kaka, O Afolabi, “Application of 3D static modeling for optimal reservoir characterization”, Journal of African Earth Sciences 152, 184-196, 2019.
- N Iqbal, A . Zerguine, A. Al-Shuhail and S. Kaka, “Blind noise estimation and denoising filter for recovery of microquake signals”, Exploration Geophysics, 50 (5), 502-531, 2019.
- Ashadi A and S. I. Kaka, “Ground-Motion Relations for Subduction-Zone Earthquakes in Java Island, Indonesia”, AJSE, 44 (1), 449-465, 2018.
- Iqbal , E. Liu, J.H. McClellan, A. A. Al-Shuhail, S. I. Kaka and A . Zerguine “Detection and Denoising of Microseismic Events using Tensor Decomposition and Time-frequency Representation”, IEEE Access 6, 22993-23006, 2018.
Awards & Honors
- Associate Professor/Graduate Coordinator (Geosciences) / Head, CPG Student Affairs
- Scientific Advisory Board Member, Science and Technology for Exploration and Production Solutions (STEPS)
Dr. Bassam S. Tawabini
Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr. Bassam has been an associate professor at Geosciences Department at CPG, KFUPM since 2007 in addition to his incumbency as an Acting Director, Environment and Sustainability Section, Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Dept. KFUPM since 2014. From 1987 till 2005 he had assumed the role of Senior Research Engineer, Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM. Between 2005 – 07 he was appointed as Manager of Central Analytical Laboratory (CAL), Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Water Resources & Environmental Engineering), KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
- High Diploma, “Sustainable Development” Middle East University at Boston College, Boston, USA, 2001.
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1987.
- B.Sc., (Hons.), Civil Engineering. KFUPM, KSA, 1984.
- Investigating the fate of pollutants in the water, wastewater, marine, air, and soil
- Assessment, monitoring, and treatment of water, soils, and air contaminated with hazardous pollutants.
- Developing innovative treatment technologies for industrial wastewater using electrochemical –based treatment technologies.
- Developing advanced oxidation and photocatalytic technologies for the ex-situ and in-situ remediation of groundwater contaminated with trace metals and hydrocarbons using the combination of UV, H2O2, TiO2, Cl2, and O3.
- Developing novel nano-based synthetic adsorbents (i.e. Graphene, CNTs, CNFs, TiO2…etc.) and natural adsorbents (i.e. fly ash, sewage sludge) for the removal of pollutants from the environment.
- Developing advanced technologies for remediation of contaminated sites with hydrocarbons and trace metals using bio-treatment and phytoremediation technologies
- Developing novel for the removal of trace metals and hydrocarbons from contaminated environment.
- Assessing the fate of the Disinfection By-products (DBPs) formation using chlorine (Cl2), ozone (O3), and chlorine dioxide (ClO2).
- Assessing the spatial distribution of air pollutants (NOx, SOx, PMs, VOCs…etc.) and soil pollutants (heavy/trace metals) in the Arabian Gulf region.
- Developing best practices and methods for the management of municipal, industrial and hazardous wastes.
- Assessing the sustainable utilization of natural resources (i.e. water, soil, energy, minerals, and biota)
- Bassam S. Tawabini, Ole J. Nielsen and Theis I. Sølling. Theoretical study of hydroxyl radical (OH·) induced decomposition of tert-butyl methyl ether (MTBE). Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts – EM-ART-12-2019-000588 (ISI, Q2, IF = 3.238).
- S. Tawabin, K. V. Plakas and A. J. Karabelas. A pilot study of BTEX removal from highly saline waters by an advanced electrochemical process. Journal of Water Process Engineering 37 (2020) 101472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2020.101427. (ISI, Q1, IF = 3.47).
- Tajudeen A. Oyehan, Fatai A. Olabemiwo, Bassam S. Tawabini, Tawfik A. Saleh (2020). The capacity of mesoporous fly ash grafted with ultrathin film of polydiallyldimethyl ammonium for enhanced removal of phenol from aqueous solutions. Journal of Cleaner Production. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121280. (ISI, Q1, IF = 7.05).
- Abid Khogali , Peter Birkle, Abdulaziz Al-Shaibani, Martin Keller, Bassam Tawabini and Mohammad Makkawi. Geochemical Assessment of Potential Sources for Nitrate in the Wasia Aquifer, Al Kharj Area, Central Saudi Arabia. Water 2020, 12, 1479; doi:10.3390/w12051479. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.52 ).
- Amjad Khalil; Bassam Abu Baker; Bassam Tawabini; Mazen Nazal; Jameel Al-Thaqfi (2020).. Efficiency of Thermophilic Bacteria in Wastewater Treatment. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering (AJSE), https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-020-04830-x (ISI, Q3, IF = 1.71 ).
- M. Siddiq · B. S. Tawabini · P. Soupios · D. Ntarlagiannis. Removal of arsenic from contaminated groundwater using biochar: a technical review. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-020-03116-x. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.54).
Research Profile – Google Scholar
- Citations 1033
- h-index 15
- i10-index 22
Extended Publications (+)
- A. Liadi, B. Tawabini, R. Shawabkeh, N. Jaraah, A. Shaibani and M. Makkawi. The Potentials of Sewage Sludge-Derived Activated Carbon in Treating the MTBE-contaminated Water. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2018) Oct;25(29):29397-29407. doi: 10.1007/s11356-018-2737-0. Epub 2018 Aug 20. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.914)
- Akeem O. Bello, Bassam S. Tawabini, Amjad B. Khalil, Christopher R. Bolandand Tawfik A. Saleh. Phytoremediation of cadmium-, lead- and nickel-contaminated water by Phragmites australis in hydroponic systems. Ecological Engineering 120 (2018). Pages 126-133. September 2018. (ISI, Q2, IF= 3.4)
- Akere Taiwo Hassana, Karuppasamy Manikandanb, BassamTawabini, Chanbasha Basheera, Krishnakumar Periyadanb, Mohammed Qurban. Assessment of the organotin pollution in the coastal sediments of the Western Arabian Gulf, Saudi Arabia. Marine Pollution Bulletin journal 139 (2019) 174-180. (ISI, Q1, IF = 3.78).
- Sudibyo S.Sardi, Mohammed A.Qurban, Wenzhao Li, Krishnakumar P. Kadinjappalli, Karuppasamy Manikandana Mustafa M.Haririb, Bassam S. Al-Tawabini, Amjad B.Khalil, Hesham El-Askary. Assessment of areas environmentally sensitive to oil spills in the Western Arabian Gulf, Saudi Arabia, for planning and undertaking an effective response. Marine Pollution Bulletin (2019). DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.110588. (ISI Q1, IF = 3.782).
- Mohammed Al Otaibi, Ashraf Farahat, Bassam Tawabini, Hafidz Omar, Emad Ramadan, Abdelgadir Abuelgasim, and Ramesh P. Singh (2019). Long-Term Aerosol Trends and Variability over Central Saudi Arabia Using Optical Characteristics from Solar Village AERONET Measurements. Atmosphere 10(12):752.
- Abideen O. Salawudeen, Bassam S. Tawabini, Abdulaziz M. Al-Shaibani, Tawfik A. Saleh (2020). Poly (2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) grafted graphene oxide for cadmium removal from water with Interaction mechanisms. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management. Volume 13, May 2020, 100288.
Awards & Honors
- Award for obtaining 3 US Patents, 2019
- Best Teaching Award. College of Sciences, KFUPM. 2011.
- Nominee for the Best Research Award. Center for Environment and Water, Research Institute, KFUPM, 2007.
- Long Services Award, KFUPM. Dhahran, KSA. 1994.
- Nominee for the Best Academic Advisor for the College of Petroleum and Geosciences (2016)
- The 1st place at the 5th Saudi Water Arabia conference held between 17-19 of October 2017 in Saudi Arabia. The paper titled’ Assessment of Polyelectrolyte Coated Fly Ash for Cadmium Removal in Polluted Water”.
Dr. Scott Whattam
Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
- Ph.D. The University of Hong Kong
- B.S. (Hons) Carleton University
- Igneous Petrology
- Plate Tectonics
- Azizi, H., Daneshvar, N., Mohammad, A., Asahara, Y., Whattam, S.A., Tsuboi, M., & Minami, M., 2021. Early Miocene Post-Collision Andesite In The Takab Area, Northwest Iran. Journal Of Petrology, In Press.
- Shervais, J.W., Reagan, M., Godard, Prytulak, J., Ryan, J.G. Pearce, J.A., Almeev, R.,Haugen, E., Chapman, T., Kurz, W., Nelson, W.R. Heaton, D., Kirchenbaur, M., Shimizu, K., Sakuyama, T., Vetter, S.K., Li, Y., &. Whattam, S.A., 2021. Magmatic Response To Subduction Initiation, Part II: Boninites And Related Rocks Of The Izu-Bonin Arc From IOPD Expedition 352, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3), https://doi.org/10.1029/2020gc009093
- Whattam, S.A., Shervais, J.W., Reagan, M.K., Coultard, D.A., Pearce, J.A., Jones, P.J., Seo, J., Putirka, K., Chapman, T., Heaton, D., Li, H., Nelson, W.R., Shimizu, K., & Stern, R.J., 2020. Mineral Compositions And Thermobarometry Of Basalts And Boninites Recovered During IODP Expedition 352 To The Bonin Forearc, American Mineralogist, https://doi.org/10.2138/am-2020-6640.
- Whattam, S.A. Montes, C., & Stern, R.J., 2020. Early Central American Forearc Follows The Subduction Initiation Rule, Gondwana Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/J.Gr.2019.10.002.
- Pandey, D.K., Pandey, A. & Whattam, S.A., 2020. Reply To ‘Evidence For Simple Volcanic Rifting Not Complex Subduction Initiation In The Laxmi Basin’, Nature Communications, https://doi.org/10.1038/S41467-020-16570-5.
- Moghadam, H. S., Stern, R.J., Griffin, W.L., Khedr, M.Z., Kirchenbaur, M., Ottley, C.J., Whattam, S.A., Kimura, J.-I., Ghorbani, G., Gain, S., O’Reilly, S.Y., & Tamura, A., 2019. Subduction Initiation And Back-Arc Opening North Of Neo-Tethys: Evidence From The Late Cretaceous Torbat-E-Heydarieh Ophiolite Of Ne Iran, Geological Society Of America Bulletin, https://doi.org/10.1130/B35065.1.
- Pandey, D.K., Pandey, A. & Whattam, S.A., 2019. Discovery Of Relict Subduction Initiation In The Laxmi Basin, Northwest Indian Ocean, Nature Communications, https://doi.org/10.1038/S41467-019-10227-8.
- Shervais, J.W., Reagan, M., Haugen, E., Almeev, R., Pearce, J.A., Prytulak, J., Ryan, J.G., Whattam, S.A., Godard, M., Chapman, T., Li, H., Kurz, W., Nelson, W.R. Heaton, D., Kirchenbaur, M., Shimizu, K., Sakuyama, T., Li, Y., & Vetter, S.K., 2019. Magmatic Response To Subduction Initiation, Part I: Fore-Arc Basalts Of The Izu-Bonin Arc From IODP Expedition 352, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3), Doi: 10.1029/2018gc007731.
Extended Publications (+)
- Whattam, S.A., 2018. Primitive Magmas In The Central American Volcanic Arc System Generated By Plume-Induced Subduction Initiation, Frontiers In Earth Science-Petrology, 6:14, Doi: 10.3389/Feart.2018.00114, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Ryan, J., Li, Y., Reagan, M.K., Li, H., Heaton, D., Godard, M.M., Kirchenbaur, M., Whattam, S.A., Pearce, J., Chapman, T., Nelson, W., Prytulak, J., Shervais, J.W., Shimizu, K. & Petronotis, K. , 2017. Application Of A Handheld X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometer For Real-Time, High-Density Quantitative Analysis Of Drilled Igneous Rocks And Sediments During IODPExpedition 352, Chemical Geology 451, 55-66, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1016/J.Chemgeo.2017.01.007, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Li, H.Y., Xu, Y.G., Ryan, J.G. & Whattam, S.A., Evolution Of The Mantle Beneath The Eastern North China Craton During The Cenozoic: Linking Geochemical And Geophysical Observations, Journal Of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth 122, Doi:10.1002/2016jb013486, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Reagan, M.K., Pearce, J.A., Petronotis, K., Almeev, R., Avery, A.J., Carvallo, C., Chapman, T., Christeson, G.L., Ferré, E.C., Godard, M., Heaton, D.E., Kirchenbaur, M., Kurz, W., Kutterolf, S., Li, H., Li, Y., Michibayashi, K., Morgan, S., Nelson, W.R., Prytulak, J., Python, M., Robertson, A.H.F., Ryan, J.G., Sager, W.W., Sakuyama, T., Shervais, J.W., Shimizu, K. & Whattam, S.A., 2017. Subduction Initiation And Ophiolite Crust: New Insights From Iodp Drilling, International Geology Review, Doi: 10.1080/00206814.2016.1276842, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Seo, J., Choi, S-G., Park, J-W., Whattam, S.A., Kim, D.W., Ryu, I-C., & Oh, C.W., 2016. Geochemical And Mineralogical Characteristics Of The Yongwha Phoscorite-Carbonatite Complex, South Korea, And Genetic Implications, Lithos 262, 606-619, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Expedition 357 Scientists Including Whattam, S.A., 2016. Expedition 357 Preliminary Report: Atlantis Massif Serpentinization And Life, International Ocean Discovery Program, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.14379/Iodp.Pr.357.2016, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Gazel, E.G., Yi, K. & Denyer, P., 2016. Origin Of Plagiogranites In Oceanic Complexes: A Case Study Of The Nicoya And Santa Elena Terranes, Costa Rica, Lithos 262, 75-87, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1016/J.Lithos.2016.06.017, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A. & Stern, R.J., 2016. Arc Magmatic Evolution And The Construction Of Continental Crust At The Central American Volcanic Arc System, International Geology Review 58, 653-686, Doi: 10.1080/00206814.2015.1103668, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Gerya, T. Stern, R.J., Baes, M., Sobolev, S.V. & Whattam, S.A., 2015. Plate Tectonics On The Earth Triggered By Plume-Induced Subduction Initiation, Nature 527, 221-225, Doi:10.1038/Nature15752, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A. & Stern, R.J., 2015. Late Cretaceous Plume-Induced Subduction Initiation Along The Southern Margin Of The Caribbean And Nw South America: The First Documented Example With Implications For The Onset Of Plate Tectonics, Gondwana Research (Focus Review) 27, 38-63, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1016/J.Gr.2014.07.011). Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Expedition 352 Scientists Including Whattam, S.A., 2015. Izu-Bonin-Mariana Forearc: Testing Subduction Initiation And Ophiolite Models By Drilling The Outer Izu-Bonin-Mariana Forearc, International Ocean Discovery Program Preliminary Report, 352. Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.14379/Iodp.Pr.352.2015, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Stern, R.J., Reagan, M. K., Ishizuka, O., Ohara, Y. & Whattam, S.A., 2012. To Understand Subduction Initiation Study Forearc Crust; To Understand Forearcs, Study Ophiolites, Lithosphere Doi: 10.1130/L183.1, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Montes, C., Mcfadden, R., Cardona, A., Valencia, & Rivera, D., 2012. Age And Origin Of Earliest Adakitic-Like Magmatism In Panama: Implications For The Tectonic Evolution Of The Panamanian Magmatic Arc System, Lithos 142-143, 226-244, Doi:10.1016/J.Lithos.2012.02.017, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Cho, M. & Smith, I.E.M., 2011. Magmatic Peridotites And Pyroxenites, Andong Ultramafic Complex, Korea: Geochemical Evidence For Supra-Subduction Zone Formation And Extensive Melt-Rock Interaction, Lithos 127, 599-618, Doi: 10.1016/J.Lithos.2011.06.013, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Stern, R.J., 2011. The ‘Subduction Initiation Rule’: A Key For Linking Ophiolites, Intra-Oceanic Forearcs And Subduction Initiation, Contributions To Mineralogy And Petrology Doi 10.1007/S00410-011-0638-Z, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., 2009. Arc-Continent Collisional Orogenesis In The Sw Pacific And The Nature, Source And Correlation Of Emplaced Ophiolitic Components, Lithos 113, 88-114, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Hewins, R.H., 2009. Granoblastic Olivine Aggregates As Precursors Of Type I Chondrules: An Experimental Test, Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 73, 5460-5482, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Hewins, R.H. , Cohen, B.A., Seaton, N.C. & Prior, D.J., 2008. Granoblastic Olivine Aggregates In Magnesian Chondrules: Planetesimal Fragments Or Thermally Annealed Solar Nebula Condensates? Earth And Planetary Science Letters 269, 200-211, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
Dr. Husam Baalousha
Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr. Husam Baalousha is an Associate Professor at the Department of Geosciences, College of Petroleum and Geosciences (CPG), at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM). He earned his BSc Degree in Civil Engineering from Birzeit University, Palestine, his MSc Degree in Hydrological Engineering from Delft, the Netherlands, and his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Aachen University of Technology (RWTH) in Germany. He also earned a HDR degree (Habilitation degree) in hydrogeology from the University of Strasbourg,
His work experience spans more than 25 years, where he fulfilled a wide variety of roles in academia, industry, and governmental institutions. His experiences include hydrogeology, geoscience, modelling, integrated water resources management, and environmental protection. He made more than 70 scholarly contributions including journal papers, books, conference proceedings, and book chapters. Dr. Baalousha has completed projects in Germany, New Zealand, and in the Middle East. He is an Associate Editor of Hydrogeology Journal and Chief Editor of the International Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. He is a member of the International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH), Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (MODSIM), and the New Zealand Hydrological Society (NZHS).
- HDR., Hydrogeology, Laboratory of Hydrology and Geochemistry, University of Strasbourg, France, 2020.
- Ph.D., Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Aachen University of Technology (RWTH), Germany, 2003
- MSc., Hydrological Engineering, UNESCO IHE-Delft, The Netherlands, 1998.
- BSC., Civil Engineering, Birzeit University, Palestine, 1996.
- Environmental management.
- Vulnerability, and risk assessment.
- Flow in porous media.
- Numerical modelling.
- Uncertainty analysis, and stochastic hydrogeology.
- Baalousha, H. M.; Tawabini, B.; Seers, T. D. Fuzzy or Non-Fuzzy? A Comparison between Fuzzy Logic-Based Vulnerability Mapping and DRASTIC Approach Using a Numerical Model. A Case Study from Qatar. Water 2021, 13 (9), 1288. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13091288.
- Baalousha, H.; Fahs, M.; Ramasomanana, F.; Younes, A. Effect of Pilot-Points Location on Model Calibration: Application to the Northern Karst Aquifer of Qatar. Water 2019, 11 (4), 679. https://doi.org/10.3390/w11040679.
- Younes, A.; Mara, T. A.; Voltz, M.; Guellouz, L.; Musa Baalousha, H.; Fahs, M. A New Efficient Bayesian Parameter Inference Strategy: Application to Flow and Pesticide Transport through Unsaturated Porous Media. Journal of Hydrology 2018, 563, 887–899. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.06.043.
- Baalousha, H. M. Vulnerability, Probability and Groundwater Contamination Risk. Environmental Earth Sciences 2017, 76 (11). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-6634-5.
- Baalousha, H. M. Groundwater Vulnerability Mapping of Qatar Aquifers. Journal of African Earth Sciences 2016, 124, 75–93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafrearsci.2016.09.017.
Extended Publications (+)
- Baalousha, H. M. Development of a Groundwater Flow Model for the Highly Parameterized Qatar Aquifers. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment 2016, 2 (2). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-016-0124-8.
- Baalousha, H. M. Drawdown and Stream Depletion Induced by a Nearby Pumping Well. Journal of Hydrology 2012, 466–467, 47–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.08.010.
- Baalousha, H. Groundwater Pollution Risk Using a Modified Latin Hypercube Sampling. Journal of Hydroinformatics 2006, 8 (3), 223–234. https://doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2006.018b.
- Baalousha, H. Assessment of a Groundwater Quality Monitoring Network Using Vulnerability Mapping and Geostatistics: A Case Study from Heretaunga Plains, New Zealand. Agricultural Water Management 2010, 97 (2), 240–246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2009.09.013
Dr. Abdulazeez Abdulraheem
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Abdulazeez Abdulraheem is an Associate Professor focusing mainly on geomechanics and the applications of artificial intelligence in different areas of petroleum engineering. Before joining the department, he has worked as a Research Engineer in the Research Institute at KFUPM for almost 18 years addressing field challenges in areas such as wellbore instability, sand production, and experimental rock mechanics.
- Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering, GPA 4.0/4.0, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, USA. – 1994.
- M.E., in Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. – 1985.
- B.E., in Civil Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. – 1983.
- Geomechanics in Petroleum Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence applications in Petroleum Engineering
- Abdulraheem, A., M. Zaman, and J.-C. Roegiers (1993). A Finite Element Model for Ekofisk Field Subsidence, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 19, pp. 299-310.
- Zaman, M., J.-C. Roegiers, A. Abdulraheem, and M. Azeemuddin (1994). Pore collapse in Weakly cemented and porous Rocks, ASME Journal of Energy Resources Technology, June, Vol. 116, pp. 97-103.
- Hassan, H.M., Korvin, G., and A. Abdulraheem (2001). Fractal and Genetic Aspects of Khuff Reservoir Stylolites, Eastern Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering Journal. 27(2001): 29-56.
- Korvin, G., Mohiuddin, M.A., A. Abdulraheem (2001). Experimental Investigation of the Fractal Dimension of the Pore Surface of Sedimentary Rocks under Pressure. Geophysical Transactions, 44 (2001): 3-19.
- Mohiuddin, M.A., K. Khan, A. Abdulraheem, A. Al-Majed, and M.R. Awal (2007). Analysis of wellbore instability in vertical, directional, and horizontal wells using field data. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 55 (2007). pp. 83-92.
- M.A. Al-Marhoun, S. Nizamuddin, A.A. Abdul Raheem, S. Shujath Ali, A.A. Muhammadain. (2012). Prediction of crude oil viscosity curve using artificial intelligence techniques. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 86-87 (2012) 111–117.
- Anifowose F., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem, Ensemble Learning Model for Petroleum Reservoir Characterization: A Case of Feed-Forward Back-Propagation Neural Networks, In: Trends and Applications in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 7867, 2013, pp 71-82.
- G. Korvin, Oleschko, K., and A. Abdulraheem (2013). A simple geometric model of sedimentary rock to connect transfer and acoustic properties. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. February 2013.
- Ali, S.S., S. Nizamuddin, A. Abdulraheem, M. R. Hassan, M. E. Hossain. (2013). Hydraulic unit prediction using support vector machine. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 110 (2013) pp 243–252.
- F. Anifowose, J. Labadin, and A. Abdulazeez. (2013). “A Least Square-driven Functional Networks Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Hybrid Model for Efficient Petroleum Reservoir Properties Prediction”, Neural Computing and Applications, DOI 10.1007/s00521-012-1298-2, 2013.
- Ali, S.S., S. Nizamuddin, A. Abdulraheem, M. R. Hassan, M. E. Hossain. (2013). Hydraulic unit prediction using support vector machine, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering Volume 110, Pages 243-252.
- Al-Marhoun, M. A., S. S. Ali, A. Abdulraheem, S. Nizamuddin, A. Muhammadain (2014) Prediction of bubble point pressure from composition of black oils using artificial neural network, Petroleum Science and Technology, 32:14, 1720-1728.
- F. Anifowose, S. Adeniye and A. Abdulraheem (2014), “Recent advances in the application of computational intelligence techniques in oil and gas reservoir characterization: a comparative study”, Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 2014. doi = 10.1080/0952813X.2014.924577.
- Anifowose, F., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem (2015). Ensemble Model of Non-linear Feature Selection-Based Extreme Learning Machine for Improved Natural Gas Reservoir Characterization. Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering. doi:10.1016/j.jngse.2015.02.012.
- Abdlmutalib, A, O. Abdullatif, G. Korvin, and Abdulraheem. (2015). The relationship between lithological and geomechanical properties of tight carbonate rocks from Upper Jubaila and Arab-D Member outcrop analog, Central Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. May 2015. DOI 10.1007/s12517-015-1957-6.
- Adebayo, A. R., A. Abdulraheem, S.O. Olatunji. (2015). Artificial Intelligence Based.
- A. Al-Ameri, A. Abdulraheem, M. Mahmoud. Long-Term Effects of CO2 Sequestration on Rock Mechanical Properties. Journal of Energy Resources Technology. J. Energy Resour. Technol 138(1), 012201 (Dec 01, 2015). Paper No: JERT-15-1186; doi: 10.1115/1.4032011.
- Anifowose, F.A., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem (2016). Hybrid intelligent systems in petroleum reservoir characterization and modeling: the journey so far and the challenges ahead. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. doi:10.1007/s13202-016-0257-3. Jun. 2016.
- Anifowose, F. S. Adeniye, A. Abdulraheem, A. Al-Shuhail (2016). Integrating seismic and log data for improved petroleum reservoir properties estimation using non-linear feature-selection based hybrid computational intelligence models. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 145. Sep. 2016. pp 230–237.
- Elkatatny, S., M. Mahmoud, I. Mohamed, A. Abdulraheem (2017). Development of a new correlation to determine the static Young’s modulus. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. doi:10.1007/s13202-017-0316-4.
- Elkatatny, S., Mahmoud, M., Z. Tariq, A. Abdulraheem.(2017) New insights into the prediction of heterogeneous carbonate reservoir permeability from well logs using artificial intelligence network. Neural Computing & Applications (2017). doi:10.1007/s00521-017-2850-x.
- Elkatatny, S.M., Mahmoud, M.A., Mohamed, I., and Abdulraheem, A. 2017. Development of A New Correlation to Determine the Static Young’s Modulus”, Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, In Press.
Awards & Honors
- 2003 – Project Manager of the team awarded for Best Research Team Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Wellbore Instability – Khafji Reservoir (Phase II)”.
- 2002 – Best Research Project Manager Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Wellbore Instability – Khafji Reservoir (Phase I)”.
- 1999 – Project Manager of the team awarded for Best Research Team Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Rock Mechanics Study of Ghawar Khuff Reservoirs” (PN 21148).
- 1999 – Member of the team for Best Short Course Award by KFUPM.
- 1993 – Best paper award by “Indian Geotechnical Journal”.
Dr. Abdullah Sultan
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Sultan is an Associate Professor in the Department of Petroleum Engineering. His research group focuses on complex and reactive fluids to address problems in the oil and gas industry with a focus on enhanced oil/gas recovery, drilling fluids, well stimulation, gel, emulsions, and flow assurance. He established the Complex and Reactive Fluids (CRF) Lab at KFUPM. Dr. Sultan has numerous publications in refereed journals and conferences. He served as Director for the Center of Petroleum & Minerals, Research Institute at KFUPM (2010 – 2015), and Chairman for the Department of Petroleum Engineering (2012 – 2017).
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2009.
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA. 2004.
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
Complex and Reactive Fluids for oil and gas applications.
- Abdulmajeeb T. Onawole, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Safwat Abdel-Azeim, Mohamed Mahmoud, Mohammed A. Saad. (2019). Molecular and Electronic Structure Elucidation of Fe2+/Fe3+ complexed Chelators used in iron sulfides Scale removal in oil and gas wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 9999. DOI: 1002/cjce.23463
- Mohammad H. Alqam, Sidqi A. Abu-Khamsin, Abdullah S. Sultan, Taha M. Okasha, and Hasan O. Yildiz. (2019). Effect of Rock Mineralogy and Oil Composition on Wettability Alteration and Interfacial Tension by Brine and Carbonated Water. Energy Fuels, 2019, 33 (3), pp 1983–1989. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b04143.
- Abdullah Sultan. (2018). Stability of PAM/PEI emulsified gels under HTHS conditions for water shut-off treatment. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production (accepted). DOI: 1007/s13202-018-0597-2.
- Lionel T. Fogang, Abdullah S. Sultan and Muhammad S. Kamal. (2018). Understanding viscosity reduction of a long-tail sulfobetaine viscoelastic surfactant by organic compounds. RSC Advances, Vol 8, pp 4455-4463. DOI: 1039/C7RA12538K.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan*, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Gelation of Emulsified Polyacrylamide/Polyethylenimine under High-Temperature, High-Salinity Conditions: Rheological Investigation. Eng. Chem. Res., 2018, 57(36), pp 12278–12287. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.8b02571.
- Abdelhalim I.A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Use of organoclay as a stabilizer for water-in-oil emulsions under high-temperature high-salinity conditions. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 160 pp: 302-312. DOI: 1016/j.petrol.2017.10.077.
- Muhammad Shahzad Kamal, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Mohamed Mahmoud, Abdullah S. Sultan, and Mohammed A.S. Saad. (2018). Oilfield scale formation and chemical removal: A review. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 171 pp: 127-139. DOI:1016/j.petrol.2018.07.037. ISI/Scopus:
- A. Adewunmi, S. Ismail, and A. S. Sultan. (2018). Crosslinked Polyacrylamide Composite Hydrogels Impregnated with Fly Ash: Synthesis, Characterization and Their Application as Fractures Sealant for High Water Producing Zones in Oil and Gas Wells. Journal of Polymers and Environment, Vol 26(8), pp 3294-3306. DOI: 10.1007/s10924-018-1204-9. ISI/Scopus: Impact Factor: 1.971.
- Mohammed Eliebid, Mohamed Mahmoud, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Reyad Shawabkeh, Abdullah Sultan, and Mohammed J. Al-Marri. (2018). Impact of Surfactant on the Retention of CO2and Methane in Carbonate Reservoirs. Energy Fuels, Vol 32 (4), pp 5355-5363. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b00213.
- Ahmad A. Adewunmi, Suzylawati Ismail, Taoreed O. Owolabi, Abdullah S. Sultan, Sunday O. Olatunji, Zulkifli Ahmad. (2018). Hybrid Intelligent Modelling of the Viscoelastic Moduli of Coal Fly Ash Based Polymer Gel System for Water Shutoff Treatment in Oil and Gas Wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (published online). DOI:/10.1002/cjce.23436.
- Jun Li and Abdullah S. Sultan. (2017). Klinkenberg slippage effect in the permeability computations of shale gas by the pore-scale simulations. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol 48, pp 197-202. DOI: 1016/j.jngse.2016.07.041.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Abdullah S. Sultan*, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2017). Influence of Surfactant Structure on the Stability of Water-in-Oil Emulsions under High-Temperature High-Salinity Conditions. Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 2017, Article ID 5471376, 11 pages. DOI: 1155/2017/5471376.
- Mohamed E. Kandil, Nayef M. Al-Saifi, Abdullah S. Sultan. (2016). Simulation and measurements of volumetric and phase behavior of carbon dioxide + higher alkanes at high pressure: CO2+ n-decane at temperatures (313–410) K and pressures up to 76 MPa. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 53, pp 198–206. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.045.
Awards & Honors
- University Advising Award for the College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (2018).
- SPE Regional Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty (2018).
Dr. Rahul N. Gajbhiye
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Rahul is an Associate Professor holding a Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering from Louisiana State University. He worked as a postdoctoral research associate at Tulsa University Drilling Research Project (TUDRP) at Tulsa University, Oklahoma. He also served as a Lecturer at the Department of Petroleum Engineering, Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune, India. Dr. Rahul is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineering and the American Association of Drilling Engineers (AADE).
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Louisiana State University, USA, 2011
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Maharashtra Institute of Technology, India, 1999
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Multiphase Flow in Pipes
- Drilling Fluids and Cementation
- Hicham Ferroudji, Mohammad Azizur Rahman, Ahmed Hadjadj, Titus Ntow Ofei, Mohamed Shafik Khaled, Sayeed Rushd, Rahul Narayanrao Gajbhiye, “3D Numerical and Experimental Modelling of Multiphase Flow Through an Annular Geometry Applied for Cuttings Transport”, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Volume 151, June 2022, 104044 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2022.104044AL-Dogail, Ala, Gajbhiye, Rahul, AlNajim, Abdullatif, and Mustafa AlNaser. “Dimensionless Artificial Intelligence-Based Model for Multiphase Flow Pattern Recognition in Horizontal Pipe.” SPE Prod & Oper 37 (2022): 244–262. doi: https://doi.org/10.2118/209198-PA
- AL-Dogail, Ala, Gajbhiye, Rahul, AlNaser, Mustafa, AlNajim, Abdullatif, and Mohamed Mahmoud. “Intelligent Approach for Gas-Oil Separation Plant Oil Recovery Enhancement.” SPE Prod & Oper (2022;): doi: https://doi.org/10.2118/210565-PA
- H Ferroudji, A Hadjadj, TN Ofei, RN Gajbhiye, MA Rahman, MF Qureshi, “Effect of Drill Pipe Orbital Motion on non-Newtonian Fluid Flow in an Eccentric Wellbore: A Study with Computational Fluid Dynamics”, J Petrol Explor Prod Technol 12, 1383–1402 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-021-01403-y
- R Gajbhiye, A AlDogail, B AlDossary Badr, M Al-Naser, M Mahmoud, “Method for Optimizing Gas Oil Separation Plant Parameters to Maximize Oil Recovery”, US Patent App. 17/022,81622, March 2022.
- Ala S. AL-Dogail, Rahul N. Gajbhiye, “Effects of Density, Viscosity and Surface Tension on Flow Regimes and Pressure Drop of Two-Phase Flow in Horizontal Pipes”, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Volume 205, 2021, 108719, ISSN 0920-4105, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.108719.
- S Kalam, SA Abu-Khamsin, HY Al-Yousef, R Gajbhiye, “A Novel Empirical Correlation for Waterflooding Performance Prediction in Stratified Reservoirs Using Artificial Intelligence”, Neural Comput & Applic 33, 2497–2514 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-020-05158-1
Extended Publications (+)
- S. Elkatatny, R.N. Gajbhiye, Anas Ahmed, and Ahmed Abdulhamid, “Enhancing the Cement Quality Using Polypropylene Fibers”, Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, PEPT-D-19-00037-2019
- Ahmed Abdulhamid Mahmoud, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Abdulmalek Ahmed and Rahul Gajbhiye, “Influence of Nanoclay Content on Cement Matrix for Oil Wells Subjected to Cyclic Steam Injection” Materials 2019, 12(9), 1452; https://doi.org/10.3390/ma12091452
- A. Homoud, R. Gajbhiye, D. Al-Shehri, “Transient Wellbore Pressure Build-Up Correlation Helps Engineers to Ensure HIPPS Safe Operation” SPE-199342-PA, SPE Production & Operations, 2019.
- M. Siddiqui, R.N. Gajbhiye, “Stability and Texture of CO2/N2 in Sandstone” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects COLSUA_21561. Volume 534, Pages 26-37, December 2017.
- A. Edrisi, R.N. Gajbhiye, and S. I. Kam, “Experimental Study of Polymer-free and Polymer-added Foams for Underbalanced Drilling: Are Two Foam-Flow Regimes Still There?” SPE Journal, p. 55-68, Vol. 19, Issue 1, 2014.
Awards & Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2021-2022
- Outstanding Students Advising KFUPM 7th Senior Design Expo, 12 May 2022
- SPE Regional Service Award 2020
- Awards for presentations at the GOM Deepwater Technical Symposium, New Orleans (2009), and the AADE (Premier Fluid Conference), Houston (2010).
Dr. Saad F. Alafnan
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
- Ph.D., in Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University – 2014-2017.
- M.S. in Petroleum Engineering, University of Southern California – 2012-2014
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals – 2007-2011
- Unconventional Reservoirs
- Mesoporous and Nanoporous Materials
- Multiscale Transport in Porous Media
- Enhanced Recovery From Shales
- Saad Alafnan. “Utilization of supercritical carbon dioxide for mechanical degradation of organic matters contained in shales.” Fuel 316 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2022.123427.
- Saad Alafnan. “The self-diffusivity of natural gas in the organic nanopores of source rocks.” Physics of Fluids 34, 042004 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0081258.
- Saad Alafnan. “Adsorption–Desorption Hysteresis in Shale Formation: New Insights into the Underlying Mechanisms” Energy & Fuels 36 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.2c00444.
- Saad Alafnan. “Utilization of depleted heavy oil reservoirs for carbon dioxide storage and sequestration: A molecular level assessment.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 119 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2022.103741.
- Clement Afagwu, Saad Alafnan, Mohamed Mahmoud, I. Yucel Akkutlu. “Modeling of natural gas self-diffusion in the micro-pores of organic-rich shales coupling sorption and geomechanical effects.” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 106 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2022.104757.
- Guenther Glatz, Saad Alafnan, Raoof Gholami, Arshad Raza, Mohamed Mahmoud, Khaled Al-Azani, Abeeb Awotunde. “Effect of kerogen maturity on the adsorption capacity of CO2 and CH4: A molecular investigation.” Fuel 327 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2022.125188.
- Arshad Raza, Guenther Glatz, Raoof Gholami, Mohamed Mahmoud, Saad Alafnan. “Carbon mineralization and geological storage of CO2 in basalt: Mechanisms and technical challenges.” Earth-Science Reviews 229 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2022.104036.
Extended Publications (+)
- Alqam, Mohammad H., Abu-Khamsin, Sidqi A., Alafnan, Saad F., Sultan, Abdullah S., Al-Majed, Abdulaziz, and Taha Okasha. “The Impact of Carbonated Water on Wettability: Combined Experimental and Molecular Simulation Approach.” SPE J. 27 (2022) https://doi.org/10.2118/208594-PA
- Clement Afagwu, Saad Al-Afnan, Shirish Patil, Jaber Aljaberi, Mohamed A. Mahmoud, Jun Li, “The impact of pore structure and adsorption behavior on kerogen tortuosity”, Fuel, Volume 303, 2021, 121261, ISSN 0016-2361, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2021.121261.
- Aljaberi, Jaber , Alafnan, Saad , Glatz, Guenther , Sultan, Abdullah S., and Clement Afagwu. “The Impact of Kerogen Tortuosity on Shale Permeability.” SPE J. (2020;): doi: https://doi.org/10.2118/204469-PA
- Saad Alafnan, Abeeb Awotunde, Guenther Glatz, Stephen Adjei, Ibrahim Alrumaih, Ahmed Gowida, “Langmuir adsorption isotherm in unconventional resources: Applicability and limitations.” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 207 (2021) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.109172.
- Mohammed, I., Olayiwola, T.O., Alkathim, M., Abeeb A. Awotunde, Saad F. Alafnan. “A review of pressure transient analysis in reservoirs with natural fractures, vugs and/or caves.” Petroleum Science 18 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12182-020-00505-2
- Clement Afagwu, Isah Abubakar, Shams Kalam, Saad F. Al-Afnan, Abeeb A. Awotunde “Pressure-transient analysis in shale gas reservoirs: A review.” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 78, (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2020.103319.
- Alafnan, S., and Yucel Akkutlu, I. “The Transport Mechanisms and Dynamics of Shale via Multiscale Multiphysics Pore Network Modeling.” ASME. J. Energy Resour. Technol. 142 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4046522.
- Alafnan, Saad & Aljawad, Murtada & Alismail, Fahad & Almajed, Abdulaziz. (2019). “Enhanced Recovery from Gas Condensate Reservoir through Renewable Energy Sources”. Energy Fuels. 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b01761.
- K. Alafnan, Saad & Akkutlu, I. Yucel. “Matrix–Fracture Interactions During Flow in Organic Nanoporous Materials Under Loading”. Transport in Porous Media 121 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11242-017-0948-3.
- Alafnan, S., & Akkutlu, Y. (2020). Transport in Nanoporous Materials. In 948916750 740229742 K. D. Sattler (Author), 21st century nanoscience a handbook (Vol. 5, pp. 12-1-12-6). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.