Dr. John D. Humphrey
Acting Chairman, Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr. John D. Humphrey is Associate Professor and Acting Chairman of the Department of Geosciences at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. His appointment is in the College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences (CPG). He has a B.S. in Geology from the University of Vermont, and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from Brown University in Geological Sciences. He served on the faculty of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Dallas from 1986 to 1991. Beginning in 1991, Dr. Humphrey was an Associate Professor of Geology and Geological Engineering at Colorado School of Mines. He served as Department Head from 2006 to 2013. He joined CPG-KFUPM in early 2017. He teaches courses in physical geology, field geology, carbonate sedimentology, and carbonate diagenesis. His areas of specialization include carbonate diagenesis and geochemistry, carbonate sedimentology and stratigraphy, carbonate reservoir characterization, unconventional carbonate reservoirs, stable isotope geochemistry, and paleoclimatology. His current research focuses on all aspects of carbonate mudrocks in unconventional petroleum systems, including Mesozoic source rocks of Saudi Arabia.
- Ph.D., Geology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 1987.
- M.Sc., Geology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 1987.
- B.S. (cum laude), Geology, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA, 1982.
- Characterization of carbonate diagenesis, dolomitization, water-rock interaction, and carbonate geochemistry.
- Unconventional resource petroleum systems.
- Applications of carbonate diagenesis to petroleum reservoir characterization.
- Sedimentology and stratigraphy of carbonate sediments and rocks.
- Applications of stable isotopes to diagenetic, environmental, hydrologic, and paleoclimatic problems.
- Synergism between Quaternary sea-level history and carbonate diagenesis.
- Radwan, O.A., Dogan, A.U., Morsy, M.A., Kaminski, M.A., Humphrey, J.D., and Christiansen, E.H., 2021 (in press), One-step versus two-step dolomite calcitization (dedolomitization): Differences and inferences; Geosciences Journal, v. 25, p.
- Hussain, M., Amao, A., Al-Ramadan, K., Babalola, L., and Humphrey, J., 2020, Utilization of geochemical signatures for unconventional reservoir characterization, Saudi Arabia; ADIPEC, SPE-203212-MS, p. 1-11 (conference paper).
- Chan, S.A., Hassan, A.M., Humphrey, J.D., Mahmoud, M.A., Abdulraheem, A., 2020, Evaluation of brittleness index based on mineral composition prediction using artificial neural network; ARMA/DGS/SEG International Geomechanics Symposium 20-64, p. 1-6 (conference paper).
- Al Ibrahim, M., Sarg, J.F., Hurley, N.F., Cantrell, D., and Humphrey, J.D., 2017, Depositional environments and sequence stratigraphy of carbonate mudrocks using conventional geologic observations, multi-scale electrofacies visualization and geochemical analysis: The case of the Tuwaiq Mountain and Hanifa Formations in a basinal setting, Saudi Arabia; American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 101, p. 683-704: 10.1306/08051615221.
- Winkelstern, I.Z., Kaczmarek, S.E., Lohmann K.C, and Humphrey, J.D., 2016, Calibration of dolomite clumped isotope thermometry; Chemical Geology: Isotope Geoscience Section.
- Hendrickson, M., Hitzman, M., Wood, D., Humphrey, J., and Wendlandt, R., 2015, Geology of the Fishtie deposit, Central Province, Zambia: iron oxide and copper mineralization in Nguba Group sedimentary rocks; Mineralium Deposita, v. 50, p. 717-737, doi: 1007/s00126-014-0570-z
- Price, J.B., Hitzman, M.W., Nelson, E.P., Humphrey, J.D., Johnson, C.A., 2014, Wall-rock alteration, structural control, and stable isotope systematics of the high-grade copper orebodies of the Kennecott district, Alaska; Economic Geology, v. 109, p. 581-620, doi:10.2113/econgeo.109.3.581.
- Sarg, J.F., Tanavasuu, K., Suriamin, N., and Humphrey, J.D., 2013, Lithofacies, stable isotopic composition, and stratigraphic evolution of microbial and associated carbonates, Green River Formation, Piceance Creek Basin, Colorado; American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 97, p. 1937-1966.
Awards & Honors
- CSM Alumni Teaching Award, 2014
- CSM Alumni Teaching Award, 1998
- Fellow, Geological Society of America, 1997
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1982-1986
- Sigma Xi, Brown University, 1984 (full member, 1986)
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Brown University, Spring 1984
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Vermont, 1982
- Charles G. Doll Award for Excellence in Geology, University of Vermont, 1982
Dr. Khalid A. H. Al-Ramadan
Associate Professor, Programs Director, Department of Geosciences
Since joining the Department of Geosciences in September 2006, Dr. Khalid has successfully led many interdisciplinary collaborative projects funded by KFUPM, KACST, and Saudi Aramco. These projects have allowed us to network with colleagues from prestigious international universities (Stanford, Tennessee, Leeds, Cardiff, Copenhagen, Milan) and from oil companies.
- Ph.D. in Geology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 2002-2006.
- M.Sc. in Geology, KFUPM, Dhahran. Saudi Arabia, 1999-2001.
- B.Sc. (Honors) in Geology, KFUPM, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, 1993-1998.
- Sedimentology and impact of diagenesis on reservoir quality of deep-sea turbidites.
- Stratigraphy and chronology of dunes in the Rub’Al Khali, Saudi Arabia.
- Modern depositional shallow marine environments.
- Al-Ramadan, K., Morad, S., Jean-Noel, P., and Al-Aasm, I., (2005). Distribution of Diagenetic Alterations in Siliciclastic Shoreface Deposits Within Sequence Stratigraphic Framework: Evidence From The Upper Jurassic, Boulonnais, NW France. Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 75, p. 943-959.
- Morad, S., Al-Ramadan, K., Ketzer, J. M., and De Ros, L. F., (2010). “The Impact of Diagenesis on the Heterogeneity of Sandstone Reservoirs: A Review of the Role of Depositional Facies and Sequence Stratigraphy”, AAPG Bulletin, v. 94, no. 8, p. 1267–
- Warren W. Wood, Richard M. Bailey, Brian A. Hampton, Thomas F. Kraemer, Zhong Lu, David W. Clark, Rhodri H.R. James, Al-Ramadan, K., (2012). “Rapid late Pleistocene/Holocene uplift and coastal evolution of the southern Arabian (Persian) Gulf”, Quaternary Research, 77, 215–220.
- Al-Ramadan, K., Dogan, A. U., and Senalp, M., (2013). Sedimentology and Diagenesis of the Miocene Nutaysh Member of the Burqan Formation in the Midyan Area, Northwestern Saudi Arabia. Geological Quarterly, v. 57 (1), p. 165-174.
- Al-Ramadan, K., Sadoon, M., and Plink, P., (2013). “Distribution of Diagenetic Alterations in Relationship to Depositional Facies and Sequence Stratigraphy of Wave- and Tide-Dominated Siliciclastic Shoreline Complex: Upper Cretaceous Chimney Rock Sandstones, Wyoming and Utah, USA”, International Association of Sedimentologists Special Publication 45: Linking Diagenesis to Sequence Stratigraphy, p. 271-296.
- Al-Ramadan, K., Morad S., Norton A. K., Hulver, M., (2013). “Linking Diagenesis and Porosity Preservation to Sequence Stratigraphy of Gas Condensate Reservoir Sandstones, the Jauf Formation (Lower to Middle Devonian), Eastern Saudi Arabia”, International Association of Sedimentologists Special Publication 45: Linking Diagenesis to Sequence Stratigraphy, p. 297-335.
- Al-Ramadan, K., (2014). Illitization of Smectite in Sandstones – The Permian Unayzah Reservoir, Saudi Arabia, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, v. 39, p. 407-412.
- Matysik, M., Al-Ramadan, K., and Riding, R., .(2015). Composition and Morphology of Early Devonian Microbial and Metazoan Patch Reefs: Qasr Member of the Jauf Formation, Northwestern Saudi Arabia, Journal of Sedimentary Research, 85, p. 45-61.
- Koeshidayatullah, A., Al-Ramadan, K., Collier, R.E.L, and Hughes, G.W. (2016) Variations in Architecture and Cyclicity in Syntectonic Fault-Bounded Carbonate Platforms: Early Miocene Red Sea Rift, NW Saudi Arabia.Marine and Petroleum Geology. 70, p. 77-92.
- Amao, A. O., Al-Ramadan, K.,& Koeshidayatullah, A. (2016). Automated mineralogical methodology to study carbonate grain microstructure: an example from oncoids. Environmental Earth Sciences, 75(8), 1-11.
- Koeshidayatullah, A, Chan, SA, Al-Ghamdi, M, Akif, T and Al-Ramadan, K.(2016) Discrimination of inland and coastal dunes in Eastern Saudi Arabia desert system: An approach from particle size and textural parameter variations. Journal of African Earth Sciences. 117, 102-113.
- Hakami, A., Al-Mubarak, A., Kurison, C., Al-Ramadan, K., and Leyva Poveda, I., (2016), Characterization of Carbonate Mudrocks of the Jurassic Tuwaiq Mountain Formation, Jafurah Sub-Basin, Saudi Arabia: Implications for Unconventional Reservoir Potential Evaluation; Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, vol. 33, p. 1-20.
- Hakami, A., Ellis, L., Al-Ramadan, K., and Abdelbagi, S., (2016). Mud gas isotope logging application for sweet spot identification in an unconventional shale gas play; A case study from Jurassic carbonate source rocks in Jafurah Sub-Basin, Saudi Arabia. Marin and Petroleum Geology 76, 133-174.
Awards & Honors
Dr. Khalid initiated and led the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) Student Chapter at Geosciences Department. Dr. Khalid was able to secure an exclusive sponsor to significantly fund extracurricular activities. This generous fund has enabled our students to conduct a wide range of activities, including international field excursions to Turkey, Denmark, and Spain between 2011 and 2017. Also, as a faculty advisor of the KFUPM/AAPG student chapter, Dr. Khalid successfully supervised a team of BS and MS students that won the Imperial Barrel Award in the Middle East in 2010, 2012 and 2015. In 2010 and 2015, the KFUPM team won the third prize in the global contest in New Orleans and Denver, respectively.
In addition, below are some selected awards received:
- 2006 The best oral presentation in the 7th Middle East Geosciences Conference and Exhibition (GEO2006), 27-29 March, Bahrain.
- 2007 Junior faculty grant, KFUPM.
- 2007 British Council summer research grant; postdoctoral summer research at Cardiff University with Prof. Paul Wright.
- 2010 British Council summer research grant; post-doctoral summer research in University of Leeds.
- 2012 Best paper award in GEOS 2012 Conference, Singapore.
- 2013 British Council summer research grant; post-doctoral summer research in University of Leeds.
Dr. Salaheldin M. Elkatatny
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Elkatatny is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM. He worked as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Petroleum Engineering, Cairo University for two years and as a Senior Geo-mechanical Engineer at Advantek International Co. for five years. He was employed by Suco Oil Co. as a Drilling Engineer for one year. While serving as a Research Assistant at Texas A&M University he developed a new theory for filter cake heterogeneity assessment and assumed other research related to using environmentally friendly acids to remove the water-based filter cake and optimization of micro-sized ilmenite water-based drilling fluid for HPHT applications.
Dr. Elkatatny is in charge of a new initiative to transform ideas into a reality. find out more by visiting IDEAS page.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2013.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, 2009.
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, 2005.
- Drilling fluid optimization, filter cake removal, formation damage, stimulation, wellbore stability, and geomechanics.
- Nasr-El-Din, H.A., Wolf, D., and Elkatatny, S.M. One Step Process to Remove Filter Cake and Treat a Subterranean Formation with a Chelating Agent. Application WO2013160334 A1. 2013.
- AL Moajil, A., Elkatatny, S.M., Nasr-El-Din, H.A. New Environmentally Friendly Fluid to Remove Mn3O4 Filter Cake. US US20140110121 A1. 2014.
- Barri, A., Mahmoud, M.A., and Elkatatny, S.M. 2016. Evaluation of Rock Mechanical Properties Alteration during Matrix Stimulation with Chelating Agents. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 138 (3): doi: 10.1115/1.4032546
- Mohamed, I. M., Block, G. I., Abou-Sayed, O. A., Elkatatny, S. M., and Abou-Sayed, A. 2016. Flow Rate Dependent Skin in Water Disposal Injection Well. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, JERT-15-1198.
Awards & Honors
- Third Position in the First Stage of the Paper Contest Competition, Texas A&M University, USA, 2012.
- Schlumberger Scholarship Award, 2005.
- Schlumberger Distinguished Student Award, 2003.
Dr. Abdulazeez Abdulraheem
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Abdulazeez Abdulraheem is an Associate Professor focusing mainly on geomechanics and the applications of artificial intelligence in different areas of petroleum engineering. Before joining the department, he has worked as a Research Engineer in the Research Institute at KFUPM for almost 18 years addressing field challenges in areas such as wellbore instability, sand production, and experimental rock mechanics.
- Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering, GPA 4.0/4.0, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, USA. – 1994.
- M.E., in Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. – 1985.
- B.E., in Civil Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. – 1983.
- Geomechanics in Petroleum Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence applications in Petroleum Engineering
- Abdulraheem, A., M. Zaman, and J.-C. Roegiers (1993). A Finite Element Model for Ekofisk Field Subsidence, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 19, pp. 299-310.
- Zaman, M., J.-C. Roegiers, A. Abdulraheem, and M. Azeemuddin (1994). Pore collapse in Weakly cemented and porous Rocks, ASME Journal of Energy Resources Technology, June, Vol. 116, pp. 97-103.
- Hassan, H.M., Korvin, G., and A. Abdulraheem (2001). Fractal and Genetic Aspects of Khuff Reservoir Stylolites, Eastern Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering Journal. 27(2001): 29-56.
- Korvin, G., Mohiuddin, M.A., A. Abdulraheem (2001). Experimental Investigation of the Fractal Dimension of the Pore Surface of Sedimentary Rocks under Pressure. Geophysical Transactions, 44 (2001): 3-19.
- Mohiuddin, M.A., K. Khan, A. Abdulraheem, A. Al-Majed, and M.R. Awal (2007). Analysis of wellbore instability in vertical, directional, and horizontal wells using field data. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 55 (2007). pp. 83-92.
- M.A. Al-Marhoun, S. Nizamuddin, A.A. Abdul Raheem, S. Shujath Ali, A.A. Muhammadain. (2012). Prediction of crude oil viscosity curve using artificial intelligence techniques. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 86-87 (2012) 111–117.
- Anifowose F., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem, Ensemble Learning Model for Petroleum Reservoir Characterization: A Case of Feed-Forward Back-Propagation Neural Networks, In: Trends and Applications in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 7867, 2013, pp 71-82.
- G. Korvin, Oleschko, K., and A. Abdulraheem (2013). A simple geometric model of sedimentary rock to connect transfer and acoustic properties. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. February 2013.
- Ali, S.S., S. Nizamuddin, A. Abdulraheem, M. R. Hassan, M. E. Hossain. (2013). Hydraulic unit prediction using support vector machine. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 110 (2013) pp 243–252.
- F. Anifowose, J. Labadin, and A. Abdulazeez. (2013). “A Least Square-driven Functional Networks Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Hybrid Model for Efficient Petroleum Reservoir Properties Prediction”, Neural Computing and Applications, DOI 10.1007/s00521-012-1298-2, 2013.
- Ali, S.S., S. Nizamuddin, A. Abdulraheem, M. R. Hassan, M. E. Hossain. (2013). Hydraulic unit prediction using support vector machine, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering Volume 110, Pages 243-252.
- Al-Marhoun, M. A., S. S. Ali, A. Abdulraheem, S. Nizamuddin, A. Muhammadain (2014) Prediction of bubble point pressure from composition of black oils using artificial neural network, Petroleum Science and Technology, 32:14, 1720-1728.
- F. Anifowose, S. Adeniye and A. Abdulraheem (2014), “Recent advances in the application of computational intelligence techniques in oil and gas reservoir characterization: a comparative study”, Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 2014. doi = 10.1080/0952813X.2014.924577.
- Anifowose, F., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem (2015). Ensemble Model of Non-linear Feature Selection-Based Extreme Learning Machine for Improved Natural Gas Reservoir Characterization. Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering. doi:10.1016/j.jngse.2015.02.012.
- Abdlmutalib, A, O. Abdullatif, G. Korvin, and Abdulraheem. (2015). The relationship between lithological and geomechanical properties of tight carbonate rocks from Upper Jubaila and Arab-D Member outcrop analog, Central Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. May 2015. DOI 10.1007/s12517-015-1957-6.
- Adebayo, A. R., A. Abdulraheem, S.O. Olatunji. (2015). Artificial Intelligence Based.
- A. Al-Ameri, A. Abdulraheem, M. Mahmoud. Long-Term Effects of CO2 Sequestration on Rock Mechanical Properties. Journal of Energy Resources Technology. J. Energy Resour. Technol 138(1), 012201 (Dec 01, 2015). Paper No: JERT-15-1186; doi: 10.1115/1.4032011.
- Anifowose, F.A., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem (2016). Hybrid intelligent systems in petroleum reservoir characterization and modeling: the journey so far and the challenges ahead. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. doi:10.1007/s13202-016-0257-3. Jun. 2016.
- Anifowose, F. S. Adeniye, A. Abdulraheem, A. Al-Shuhail (2016). Integrating seismic and log data for improved petroleum reservoir properties estimation using non-linear feature-selection based hybrid computational intelligence models. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 145. Sep. 2016. pp 230–237.
- Elkatatny, S., M. Mahmoud, I. Mohamed, A. Abdulraheem (2017). Development of a new correlation to determine the static Young’s modulus. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. doi:10.1007/s13202-017-0316-4.
- Elkatatny, S., Mahmoud, M., Z. Tariq, A. Abdulraheem.(2017) New insights into the prediction of heterogeneous carbonate reservoir permeability from well logs using artificial intelligence network. Neural Computing & Applications (2017). doi:10.1007/s00521-017-2850-x.
- Elkatatny, S.M., Mahmoud, M.A., Mohamed, I., and Abdulraheem, A. 2017. Development of A New Correlation to Determine the Static Young’s Modulus”, Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, In Press.
Awards & Honors
- 2003 – Project Manager of the team awarded for Best Research Team Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Wellbore Instability – Khafji Reservoir (Phase II)”.
- 2002 – Best Research Project Manager Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Wellbore Instability – Khafji Reservoir (Phase I)”.
- 1999 – Project Manager of the team awarded for Best Research Team Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Rock Mechanics Study of Ghawar Khuff Reservoirs” (PN 21148).
- 1999 – Member of the team for Best Short Course Award by KFUPM.
- 1993 – Best paper award by “Indian Geotechnical Journal”.
Dr. Abdullah Sultan
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Sultan is an Associate Professor in the Department of Petroleum Engineering. His research group focuses on complex and reactive fluids to address problems in the oil and gas industry with a focus on enhanced oil/gas recovery, drilling fluids, well stimulation, gel, emulsions, and flow assurance. He established the Complex and Reactive Fluids (CRF) Lab at KFUPM. Dr. Sultan has numerous publications in refereed journals and conferences. He served as Director for the Center of Petroleum & Minerals, Research Institute at KFUPM (2010 – 2015), and Chairman for the Department of Petroleum Engineering (2012 – 2017).
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2009.
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA. 2004.
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
Complex and Reactive Fluids for oil and gas applications.
- Abdulmajeeb T. Onawole, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Safwat Abdel-Azeim, Mohamed Mahmoud, Mohammed A. Saad. (2019). Molecular and Electronic Structure Elucidation of Fe2+/Fe3+ complexed Chelators used in iron sulfides Scale removal in oil and gas wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 9999. DOI: 1002/cjce.23463
- Mohammad H. Alqam, Sidqi A. Abu-Khamsin, Abdullah S. Sultan, Taha M. Okasha, and Hasan O. Yildiz. (2019). Effect of Rock Mineralogy and Oil Composition on Wettability Alteration and Interfacial Tension by Brine and Carbonated Water. Energy Fuels, 2019, 33 (3), pp 1983–1989. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b04143.
- Abdullah Sultan. (2018). Stability of PAM/PEI emulsified gels under HTHS conditions for water shut-off treatment. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production (accepted). DOI: 1007/s13202-018-0597-2.
- Lionel T. Fogang, Abdullah S. Sultan and Muhammad S. Kamal. (2018). Understanding viscosity reduction of a long-tail sulfobetaine viscoelastic surfactant by organic compounds. RSC Advances, Vol 8, pp 4455-4463. DOI: 1039/C7RA12538K.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan*, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Gelation of Emulsified Polyacrylamide/Polyethylenimine under High-Temperature, High-Salinity Conditions: Rheological Investigation. Eng. Chem. Res., 2018, 57(36), pp 12278–12287. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.8b02571.
- Abdelhalim I.A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Use of organoclay as a stabilizer for water-in-oil emulsions under high-temperature high-salinity conditions. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 160 pp: 302-312. DOI: 1016/j.petrol.2017.10.077.
- Muhammad Shahzad Kamal, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Mohamed Mahmoud, Abdullah S. Sultan, and Mohammed A.S. Saad. (2018). Oilfield scale formation and chemical removal: A review. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 171 pp: 127-139. DOI:1016/j.petrol.2018.07.037. ISI/Scopus:
- A. Adewunmi, S. Ismail, and A. S. Sultan. (2018). Crosslinked Polyacrylamide Composite Hydrogels Impregnated with Fly Ash: Synthesis, Characterization and Their Application as Fractures Sealant for High Water Producing Zones in Oil and Gas Wells. Journal of Polymers and Environment, Vol 26(8), pp 3294-3306. DOI: 10.1007/s10924-018-1204-9. ISI/Scopus: Impact Factor: 1.971.
- Mohammed Eliebid, Mohamed Mahmoud, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Reyad Shawabkeh, Abdullah Sultan, and Mohammed J. Al-Marri. (2018). Impact of Surfactant on the Retention of CO2and Methane in Carbonate Reservoirs. Energy Fuels, Vol 32 (4), pp 5355-5363. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b00213.
- Ahmad A. Adewunmi, Suzylawati Ismail, Taoreed O. Owolabi, Abdullah S. Sultan, Sunday O. Olatunji, Zulkifli Ahmad. (2018). Hybrid Intelligent Modelling of the Viscoelastic Moduli of Coal Fly Ash Based Polymer Gel System for Water Shutoff Treatment in Oil and Gas Wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (published online). DOI:/10.1002/cjce.23436.
- Jun Li and Abdullah S. Sultan. (2017). Klinkenberg slippage effect in the permeability computations of shale gas by the pore-scale simulations. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol 48, pp 197-202. DOI: 1016/j.jngse.2016.07.041.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Abdullah S. Sultan*, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2017). Influence of Surfactant Structure on the Stability of Water-in-Oil Emulsions under High-Temperature High-Salinity Conditions. Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 2017, Article ID 5471376, 11 pages. DOI: 1155/2017/5471376.
- Mohamed E. Kandil, Nayef M. Al-Saifi, Abdullah S. Sultan. (2016). Simulation and measurements of volumetric and phase behavior of carbon dioxide + higher alkanes at high pressure: CO2+ n-decane at temperatures (313–410) K and pressures up to 76 MPa. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 53, pp 198–206. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.045.
Awards & Honors
- University Advising Award for the College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (2018).
- SPE Regional Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty (2018).
Dr. Osman M. Abdullatif
Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
I have been with CPG during the last 15 years as faculty in the Geosciences Department. My teaching and research areas of interests include Geology, Sedimentology, Stratigraphy Basin Analysis, Clastic Depositional System, Petroleum Geology and Paleozoic & Mesozoic Sandstone Reservoirs. I have supervised several Summer Field Geology trips and mapping projects for over twenty-five (25) undergraduate geology students. Graduate courses I taught covered Advanced Sedimentology, Advanced Stratigraphy, Petroleum Geology, Independent Studies, and Geology Seminar. I supervised over 50 M.S and Ph.D. thesis at U of K in Sudan and KFUPM and have many publications in journals and conferences.
I conducted around 23 internally and externally sponsored projects from KFUPM, SABIC, KACST, DTV Halliburton, and KAP and NSTIP research projects. The outcomes of these research projects are numerous including journals and conferences publications and presentations, graduate students (Ph.D. and M.Sc.) thesis, training for faculty, students and technicians and laboratory development and modernization. Contract research work was done for Greater Nile Petroleum, Talisman Energy, Ministry of Energy and Mining Sudan, RI-Saudi Aramco, Luksar, and Sinogas.
Recently my research deals with Sedimentology and Petroleum Geology aspects and utilization of outcrop reservoir analog models for the purpose, understanding and prediction of subsurface aquifers and hydrocarbon reservoirs in Saudi Arabia. Carried out more than fifty (50) geological field trip related to teaching, graduate student, research and sponsored research projects in different parts of Saudi Arabia.
I am a member of the Saudi Stratigraphic Committee, the Dhahran Geoscience Society(DGS), International Association of Sedimentologists (IAS) and the European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE). Participated as a member in several conferences and technical workshop technical committees (AAPG, EAGE, IPTC, GEO) as well as a session chairperson.
- Ph.D. in Geology, Department of Geology, University of Khartoum, SudanTitle of thesis: “Sedimentology of the Late Jurassic / Cretaceous-Tertiary strata of the NWMuglad and the Nile rift basins Sudan”, Supervisor. – 1988-1992.
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Exploration Geology 1986, Dept. of Geology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. 1984-1986.
- M.Sc. in Industrial Petrology (Geomaterials) 1982 Queen Mary College, University of London, UK. Title “Correlation between strength and fracture spacing of rocks and the ease of Excavation”. 1981-1982.
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Mineral Exploration and Photo-interpretation, 1981. International Institute for Aerospace Survey and Earth Science (ITC), Delft, the Netherlands. 1980-1981.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Degree in Geology in 1978, Department of Geology. University of Khartoum, Sudan. 1973-1978.
- Covers areas of geology, sedimentology, stratigraphy, and petroleum geology aspects and reservoir properties of both clastic and carbonate rocks. Recent research interest deals with an application of outcrop reservoir analog for both Paleozoic and Mesozoic clastic and carbonate reservoirs in Saudi Arabia utilizing integrated field and laboratory stratigraphical and sedimentological techniques and digital outcrop analog mapping using laser scanning (lidar). The research aims to characterize and understand reservoir rocks heterogeneity that would allow predicting reservoir quality and architecture. Several student Theses and research projects deal with research in this area.
- Abdullatif O. M. & Cruden, D. M. “The relationship between rock mass quality and ease of excavation”.Bulletin of the InternationalAssociation of Engineering Geology, No 28, p 183-187.1983.
- Abdullatif. O. M.“Channel-fill and sheet flood Facies sequences in the ephemeral terminalRiver Gash, Gash, Kassala, Sudan”. Journal of Sedimentary Geology, 1989, V. 63, 171-184, 1989.
- Farah, E. A., Abdullatif, O. M., Kheir, O. M. and Barazi, N). “Groundwater resources in a semi-aridarea: A case study from central Sudan”. Journal of African Earth Sciences, V. 25 / 3, pp. 453-466,1997.
- Abdullatif, O. M., and Farwa, A. G. (1999) “Earth Science Education in Sudan”, Journal of African Earth Sciences, V. 28/ 4, 1999, pp. 5-27,1999.
- Lü, H, Lu, H., Abdullatif, O.M. and Kheir, M. “The Columnar Jointing in Cretaceous Clastic Rocksand the rotation of Rift Shoulder in Sudan”. Acta Geological Sinica, Volume 74, Issue 1, Pages 27-29,2000.
- Abdulkadir, I.T Sahin, A. and Abdullatif, Osman.“Distribution of petrophysical parameters in the Cambro-Ordovician Dibsiyah Member of the Wajid Sandstone, SW Saudi Arabia”. Journal of PetroleumGeology, Vol. 33 (3), pp 269-280, 2010.
- Abdullatif, O. M. .“Geomechanical properties and rock mass quality of the carbonate Rus Formation ,Dammam Dome, Saudi Arabia”. TheArabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Volume 35, Number 2A, p 173 – 197.2010.
- Ayad, M.I., Abdullatif, Osman. and Ali, O.B .“Depositional Environments and Reservoir Heterogeneityof Bentiu Formation (Albian – Cenomanian), Muglad Rift Basin, Sudan”, Sapeg (Sudanese Association of petroleum Geologists) Journal, First Issue, P.4-21, 2011.
- Abdulkadir, Ibrahim Taiwo and Abdullatif, Osman M., “Facies, DepositionalEnvironments, ReservoirPotential and Paleogeography of the Cambro-OrdovicianDibsiyah Formation, Wajid Basin, Saudi Arabia”, Arabian Journal of Science andEngineering ,Volume 38, Issue 7, Pages 1785-1806 ,July 2013.
- Eltom ,Hassan ,Makkawi, Mohammad ,Abdullatif, Osman and Al Ramadan ,Khalid. “High Resolution Facies and Porosity Models of the Upper Jurassic Arab-DCarbonate Reservoir Using an OutcropAnalogue, Central Saudi Arabia”2012.Arabian Journal ofGeosciences.Volume 6, Issue 11, Pages 4323-4335, November, 2013.
- Eltom, Hassan, Abdullatif, Osman and Mohammad Makkawi and Abdulraziq, A.”Microporosity Estimationof the Upper JurassicArab-D Carbonate Reservoir: Outcrop Analog Approach, Central SaudiArabia”Journal of Petroleum Geology., Vol. 36(3), pp 1-18, July 2013.
- Eltom, Hassan, Abdullatif, Osman ,Makkawi, Mohammad Abdelgadir, Mohammad “Integration of Gamma Ray and Geochemical Analysis for Characterization of the Upper Jurassic Arab-D Carbonate”Petroleum Geoscience, Volume. 19, pp. 399–415, 2013.
- Eltom, Hassan, Abdullatif ,Osman , Makkawi, Mohammed and Asaad Abdulraziq, Asaad “Characterization and Modeling the Upper Jurassic Arab-D Reservoir Using Outcrop Data from Central Saudi Arabia”. GeoArabia, Middle East Petroleum Geosciences, Volume 19 no. 2, p. 53 – 84,2014.
- Eltom, Hassan, Abdullatif ,Osman, Makkawi, Mohammed, Al-Ramadan, Khalid and Asaad Abdulraziq ,Asaad “Porosity Evolution Within High Resolution sequence stratigraphy and Diagenesis Framework: Outcrop Analog of the Upper Jurassic Arab-D Reservoir, Central Saudi Arabia” 2013, Arabian Journal of Geosciences. DOI 10.1007/s12517-013-1251-4.
- Ammar Abdlmutalib, Osman Abdullatif, Gabor Korvin, and Abdulazeez Abdulraheem. 2015. “The relationship between lithological and geomechanical properties of tight carbonate rocks from Upper Jubaila and Arab-D member Outcrops Analog , Central Saudi Arabia”. Arab J Geosci, DOI 10.1007/s12517-015-1957-6 ,Saudi Society for Geosciences. Published
- Mohammed Benaafi1 and Osman Abdullatif1. 2015.”Sedimentological, mineralogical, and geochemical Characterization of sand dunes in Saudi Arabia”. Arab J Geosci DOI10.1007/s 12517-015-1970-9.# Saudi Society for Geosciences. Published.
- H. A. Eltom, O. M. Abdullatif, L. O. Babalola, M. A. Bashari, M. Yassin, M. S. Osman and A. M. Abdulraziq. 2016. Geochemical Characterization of the Permian-Triassic Transition at Outcrop Central Saudi Arabia. Journal of Petroleum Geology, Vol. 39(1), January 2016, pp 95 – 114.
- Hassan A. Eltom, Osman M. Abdullatif, Lameed O. Babalola, Mazin A. Bashari1, Mohamed Yassin, Mutasim S. Osman & Asaad M. Abdulraziq.2016. Integration of facies architecture, ooid granulometry and morphology for prediction of reservoir quality, Lower Triassic Khuff Formation, Saudi Arabia. Petroleum Geoscience. doi:10.1144/petgeo2015-071.
- Mahgoub, M. I.Padmanabhan E. Abdullatif, O. M. 2016. Sedimentological Reservoir Characteristics of the Paleocene Fluvial/Lacustrine Yabus Sandstone (Melut Rift Basin), Sudan. Submitted to African Journal of Earth Sciences. Journal of African Earth Sciences 123 (2016) 75-88.
- Mohamed A. Yassin, Mustafa M. Hariri, Osman M. Abdullatif. 2016 2016. Evolution history of transtensional pull-apart basin and its implication on hydrocarbon exploration: A Case study from Sufyan Sub-Basin, Muglad Rift Basin, Sudan Submitted to Marine and Petroleum Geology, Accepted.
Awards & Honors
- 10-year Service Award, KFUPM.
- Excellence in Research Team Award for the Year 2013/2014 for Project “Improving the Load Curve in Saudi Arabia by Building Pumped Storage Power Plant” Project KFUPM, RI No CER2371
Dr. Bassam S. Tawabini
Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr. Bassam has been an associate professor at Geosciences Department at CPG, KFUPM since 2007 in addition to his incumbency as an Acting Director, Environment and Sustainability Section, Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Dept. KFUPM since 2014. From 1987 till 2005 he had assumed the role of Senior Research Engineer, Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM. Between 2005 – 07 he was appointed as Manager of Central Analytical Laboratory (CAL), Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Water Resources & Environmental Engineering), KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
- High Diploma, “Sustainable Development” Middle East University at Boston College, Boston, USA, 2001.
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1987.
- B.Sc., (Hons.), Civil Engineering. KFUPM, KSA, 1984.
- Investigating the fate of pollutants in the water, wastewater, marine, air, and soil
- Assessment, monitoring, and treatment of water, soils, and air contaminated with hazardous pollutants.
- Developing innovative treatment technologies for industrial wastewater using electrochemical –based treatment technologies.
- Developing advanced oxidation and photocatalytic technologies for the ex-situ and in-situ remediation of groundwater contaminated with trace metals and hydrocarbons using the combination of UV, H2O2, TiO2, Cl2, and O3.
- Developing novel nano-based synthetic adsorbents (i.e. Graphene, CNTs, CNFs, TiO2…etc.) and natural adsorbents (i.e. fly ash, sewage sludge) for the removal of pollutants from the environment.
- Developing advanced technologies for remediation of contaminated sites with hydrocarbons and trace metals using bio-treatment and phytoremediation technologies
- Developing novel for the removal of trace metals and hydrocarbons from contaminated environment.
- Assessing the fate of the Disinfection By-products (DBPs) formation using chlorine (Cl2), ozone (O3), and chlorine dioxide (ClO2).
- Assessing the spatial distribution of air pollutants (NOx, SOx, PMs, VOCs…etc.) and soil pollutants (heavy/trace metals) in the Arabian Gulf region.
- Developing best practices and methods for the management of municipal, industrial and hazardous wastes.
- Assessing the sustainable utilization of natural resources (i.e. water, soil, energy, minerals, and biota)
- Bassam S. Tawabini, Ole J. Nielsen and Theis I. Sølling. Theoretical study of hydroxyl radical (OH·) induced decomposition of tert-butyl methyl ether (MTBE). Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts – EM-ART-12-2019-000588 (ISI, Q2, IF = 3.238).
- S. Tawabin, K. V. Plakas and A. J. Karabelas. A pilot study of BTEX removal from highly saline waters by an advanced electrochemical process. Journal of Water Process Engineering 37 (2020) 101472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2020.101427. (ISI, Q1, IF = 3.47).
- Tajudeen A. Oyehan, Fatai A. Olabemiwo, Bassam S. Tawabini, Tawfik A. Saleh (2020). The capacity of mesoporous fly ash grafted with ultrathin film of polydiallyldimethyl ammonium for enhanced removal of phenol from aqueous solutions. Journal of Cleaner Production. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121280. (ISI, Q1, IF = 7.05).
- Abid Khogali , Peter Birkle, Abdulaziz Al-Shaibani, Martin Keller, Bassam Tawabini and Mohammad Makkawi. Geochemical Assessment of Potential Sources for Nitrate in the Wasia Aquifer, Al Kharj Area, Central Saudi Arabia. Water 2020, 12, 1479; doi:10.3390/w12051479. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.52 ).
- Amjad Khalil; Bassam Abu Baker; Bassam Tawabini; Mazen Nazal; Jameel Al-Thaqfi (2020).. Efficiency of Thermophilic Bacteria in Wastewater Treatment. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering (AJSE), https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-020-04830-x (ISI, Q3, IF = 1.71 ).
- M. Siddiq · B. S. Tawabini · P. Soupios · D. Ntarlagiannis. Removal of arsenic from contaminated groundwater using biochar: a technical review. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-020-03116-x. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.54).
Research Profile – Google Scholar
- Citations 1033
- h-index 15
- i10-index 22
Extended Publications (+)
- A. Liadi, B. Tawabini, R. Shawabkeh, N. Jaraah, A. Shaibani and M. Makkawi. The Potentials of Sewage Sludge-Derived Activated Carbon in Treating the MTBE-contaminated Water. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2018) Oct;25(29):29397-29407. doi: 10.1007/s11356-018-2737-0. Epub 2018 Aug 20. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.914)
- Akeem O. Bello, Bassam S. Tawabini, Amjad B. Khalil, Christopher R. Bolandand Tawfik A. Saleh. Phytoremediation of cadmium-, lead- and nickel-contaminated water by Phragmites australis in hydroponic systems. Ecological Engineering 120 (2018). Pages 126-133. September 2018. (ISI, Q2, IF= 3.4)
- Akere Taiwo Hassana, Karuppasamy Manikandanb, BassamTawabini, Chanbasha Basheera, Krishnakumar Periyadanb, Mohammed Qurban. Assessment of the organotin pollution in the coastal sediments of the Western Arabian Gulf, Saudi Arabia. Marine Pollution Bulletin journal 139 (2019) 174-180. (ISI, Q1, IF = 3.78).
- Sudibyo S.Sardi, Mohammed A.Qurban, Wenzhao Li, Krishnakumar P. Kadinjappalli, Karuppasamy Manikandana Mustafa M.Haririb, Bassam S. Al-Tawabini, Amjad B.Khalil, Hesham El-Askary. Assessment of areas environmentally sensitive to oil spills in the Western Arabian Gulf, Saudi Arabia, for planning and undertaking an effective response. Marine Pollution Bulletin (2019). DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.110588. (ISI Q1, IF = 3.782).
- Mohammed Al Otaibi, Ashraf Farahat, Bassam Tawabini, Hafidz Omar, Emad Ramadan, Abdelgadir Abuelgasim, and Ramesh P. Singh (2019). Long-Term Aerosol Trends and Variability over Central Saudi Arabia Using Optical Characteristics from Solar Village AERONET Measurements. Atmosphere 10(12):752.
- Abideen O. Salawudeen, Bassam S. Tawabini, Abdulaziz M. Al-Shaibani, Tawfik A. Saleh (2020). Poly (2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) grafted graphene oxide for cadmium removal from water with Interaction mechanisms. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management. Volume 13, May 2020, 100288.
Awards & Honors
- Award for obtaining 3 US Patents, 2019
- Best Teaching Award. College of Sciences, KFUPM. 2011.
- Nominee for the Best Research Award. Center for Environment and Water, Research Institute, KFUPM, 2007.
- Long Services Award, KFUPM. Dhahran, KSA. 1994.
- Nominee for the Best Academic Advisor for the College of Petroleum and Geosciences (2016)
- The 1st place at the 5th Saudi Water Arabia conference held between 17-19 of October 2017 in Saudi Arabia. The paper titled’ Assessment of Polyelectrolyte Coated Fly Ash for Cadmium Removal in Polluted Water”.
Dr. Scott Whattam
Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
- Ph.D. The University of Hong Kong
- B.S. (Hons) Carleton University
- Igneous Petrology
- Plate Tectonics
- Azizi, H., Daneshvar, N., Mohammad, A., Asahara, Y., Whattam, S.A., Tsuboi, M., & Minami, M., 2021. Early Miocene Post-Collision Andesite In The Takab Area, Northwest Iran. Journal Of Petrology, In Press.
- Shervais, J.W., Reagan, M., Godard, Prytulak, J., Ryan, J.G. Pearce, J.A., Almeev, R.,Haugen, E., Chapman, T., Kurz, W., Nelson, W.R. Heaton, D., Kirchenbaur, M., Shimizu, K., Sakuyama, T., Vetter, S.K., Li, Y., &. Whattam, S.A., 2021. Magmatic Response To Subduction Initiation, Part II: Boninites And Related Rocks Of The Izu-Bonin Arc From IOPD Expedition 352, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3), https://doi.org/10.1029/2020gc009093
- Whattam, S.A., Shervais, J.W., Reagan, M.K., Coultard, D.A., Pearce, J.A., Jones, P.J., Seo, J., Putirka, K., Chapman, T., Heaton, D., Li, H., Nelson, W.R., Shimizu, K., & Stern, R.J., 2020. Mineral Compositions And Thermobarometry Of Basalts And Boninites Recovered During IODP Expedition 352 To The Bonin Forearc, American Mineralogist, https://doi.org/10.2138/am-2020-6640.
- Whattam, S.A. Montes, C., & Stern, R.J., 2020. Early Central American Forearc Follows The Subduction Initiation Rule, Gondwana Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/J.Gr.2019.10.002.
- Pandey, D.K., Pandey, A. & Whattam, S.A., 2020. Reply To ‘Evidence For Simple Volcanic Rifting Not Complex Subduction Initiation In The Laxmi Basin’, Nature Communications, https://doi.org/10.1038/S41467-020-16570-5.
- Moghadam, H. S., Stern, R.J., Griffin, W.L., Khedr, M.Z., Kirchenbaur, M., Ottley, C.J., Whattam, S.A., Kimura, J.-I., Ghorbani, G., Gain, S., O’Reilly, S.Y., & Tamura, A., 2019. Subduction Initiation And Back-Arc Opening North Of Neo-Tethys: Evidence From The Late Cretaceous Torbat-E-Heydarieh Ophiolite Of Ne Iran, Geological Society Of America Bulletin, https://doi.org/10.1130/B35065.1.
- Pandey, D.K., Pandey, A. & Whattam, S.A., 2019. Discovery Of Relict Subduction Initiation In The Laxmi Basin, Northwest Indian Ocean, Nature Communications, https://doi.org/10.1038/S41467-019-10227-8.
- Shervais, J.W., Reagan, M., Haugen, E., Almeev, R., Pearce, J.A., Prytulak, J., Ryan, J.G., Whattam, S.A., Godard, M., Chapman, T., Li, H., Kurz, W., Nelson, W.R. Heaton, D., Kirchenbaur, M., Shimizu, K., Sakuyama, T., Li, Y., & Vetter, S.K., 2019. Magmatic Response To Subduction Initiation, Part I: Fore-Arc Basalts Of The Izu-Bonin Arc From IODP Expedition 352, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3), Doi: 10.1029/2018gc007731.
Extended Publications (+)
- Whattam, S.A., 2018. Primitive Magmas In The Central American Volcanic Arc System Generated By Plume-Induced Subduction Initiation, Frontiers In Earth Science-Petrology, 6:14, Doi: 10.3389/Feart.2018.00114, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Ryan, J., Li, Y., Reagan, M.K., Li, H., Heaton, D., Godard, M.M., Kirchenbaur, M., Whattam, S.A., Pearce, J., Chapman, T., Nelson, W., Prytulak, J., Shervais, J.W., Shimizu, K. & Petronotis, K. , 2017. Application Of A Handheld X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometer For Real-Time, High-Density Quantitative Analysis Of Drilled Igneous Rocks And Sediments During IODPExpedition 352, Chemical Geology 451, 55-66, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1016/J.Chemgeo.2017.01.007, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Li, H.Y., Xu, Y.G., Ryan, J.G. & Whattam, S.A., Evolution Of The Mantle Beneath The Eastern North China Craton During The Cenozoic: Linking Geochemical And Geophysical Observations, Journal Of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth 122, Doi:10.1002/2016jb013486, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Reagan, M.K., Pearce, J.A., Petronotis, K., Almeev, R., Avery, A.J., Carvallo, C., Chapman, T., Christeson, G.L., Ferré, E.C., Godard, M., Heaton, D.E., Kirchenbaur, M., Kurz, W., Kutterolf, S., Li, H., Li, Y., Michibayashi, K., Morgan, S., Nelson, W.R., Prytulak, J., Python, M., Robertson, A.H.F., Ryan, J.G., Sager, W.W., Sakuyama, T., Shervais, J.W., Shimizu, K. & Whattam, S.A., 2017. Subduction Initiation And Ophiolite Crust: New Insights From Iodp Drilling, International Geology Review, Doi: 10.1080/00206814.2016.1276842, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Seo, J., Choi, S-G., Park, J-W., Whattam, S.A., Kim, D.W., Ryu, I-C., & Oh, C.W., 2016. Geochemical And Mineralogical Characteristics Of The Yongwha Phoscorite-Carbonatite Complex, South Korea, And Genetic Implications, Lithos 262, 606-619, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Expedition 357 Scientists Including Whattam, S.A., 2016. Expedition 357 Preliminary Report: Atlantis Massif Serpentinization And Life, International Ocean Discovery Program, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.14379/Iodp.Pr.357.2016, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Gazel, E.G., Yi, K. & Denyer, P., 2016. Origin Of Plagiogranites In Oceanic Complexes: A Case Study Of The Nicoya And Santa Elena Terranes, Costa Rica, Lithos 262, 75-87, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1016/J.Lithos.2016.06.017, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A. & Stern, R.J., 2016. Arc Magmatic Evolution And The Construction Of Continental Crust At The Central American Volcanic Arc System, International Geology Review 58, 653-686, Doi: 10.1080/00206814.2015.1103668, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Gerya, T. Stern, R.J., Baes, M., Sobolev, S.V. & Whattam, S.A., 2015. Plate Tectonics On The Earth Triggered By Plume-Induced Subduction Initiation, Nature 527, 221-225, Doi:10.1038/Nature15752, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A. & Stern, R.J., 2015. Late Cretaceous Plume-Induced Subduction Initiation Along The Southern Margin Of The Caribbean And Nw South America: The First Documented Example With Implications For The Onset Of Plate Tectonics, Gondwana Research (Focus Review) 27, 38-63, Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1016/J.Gr.2014.07.011). Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Expedition 352 Scientists Including Whattam, S.A., 2015. Izu-Bonin-Mariana Forearc: Testing Subduction Initiation And Ophiolite Models By Drilling The Outer Izu-Bonin-Mariana Forearc, International Ocean Discovery Program Preliminary Report, 352. Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.14379/Iodp.Pr.352.2015, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Stern, R.J., Reagan, M. K., Ishizuka, O., Ohara, Y. & Whattam, S.A., 2012. To Understand Subduction Initiation Study Forearc Crust; To Understand Forearcs, Study Ophiolites, Lithosphere Doi: 10.1130/L183.1, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Montes, C., Mcfadden, R., Cardona, A., Valencia, & Rivera, D., 2012. Age And Origin Of Earliest Adakitic-Like Magmatism In Panama: Implications For The Tectonic Evolution Of The Panamanian Magmatic Arc System, Lithos 142-143, 226-244, Doi:10.1016/J.Lithos.2012.02.017, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Cho, M. & Smith, I.E.M., 2011. Magmatic Peridotites And Pyroxenites, Andong Ultramafic Complex, Korea: Geochemical Evidence For Supra-Subduction Zone Formation And Extensive Melt-Rock Interaction, Lithos 127, 599-618, Doi: 10.1016/J.Lithos.2011.06.013, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Stern, R.J., 2011. The ‘Subduction Initiation Rule’: A Key For Linking Ophiolites, Intra-Oceanic Forearcs And Subduction Initiation, Contributions To Mineralogy And Petrology Doi 10.1007/S00410-011-0638-Z, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., 2009. Arc-Continent Collisional Orogenesis In The Sw Pacific And The Nature, Source And Correlation Of Emplaced Ophiolitic Components, Lithos 113, 88-114, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Hewins, R.H., 2009. Granoblastic Olivine Aggregates As Precursors Of Type I Chondrules: An Experimental Test, Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 73, 5460-5482, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications
- Whattam, S.A., Hewins, R.H. , Cohen, B.A., Seaton, N.C. & Prior, D.J., 2008. Granoblastic Olivine Aggregates In Magnesian Chondrules: Planetesimal Fragments Or Thermally Annealed Solar Nebula Condensates? Earth And Planetary Science Letters 269, 200-211, Https://Www.Researchgate.Net/Profile/Scott_Whattam/Publications