The objectives of the program are to promote independent thinking and creative petroleum engineering methodology by developing original research and to prepare highly qualified personnel in the field of Petroleum Engineering such as researchers, senior engineers, and university faculty.
Complete a minimum of 42 credits.
A. A Minimum of 33 credit hours in 500 or higher level Petroleum Engineering courses.
B. A Minimum of 9 credit hours in 500 or higher level courses as a minor in other engineering disciplines or sciences.
- Successfully pass the Entrance Examination to be held before the end of the first semester of study.
- Present two satisfactory seminars.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above in all graduate courses.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above in all undergraduate deficiency courses.
- Successfully pass the Comprehensive Examination upon completion of the coursework, i.e. 30 credit hours.
- Successfully complete a dissertation and its defense.
Curriculum (Degree Plan)
|Total credit hours required for Ph.D. degree: 42|
|PETE 645||Fluid Flow in Porous Media||3||0||3||PETE 5xx||PETE Elective II||3||0||3|
|PETE 649||Advanced Fluid Properties and Thermodynamics||3||0||3||PETE 6xx||PETE Elective III||3||0||3|
|PETE 6xx or 701||PETE Elective I or Directed Research||3||0||3||PETE 6xx or 702||PETE Elective IV or Directed Research||3||0||3|
|PETE 6xx||PETE Elective V||3||0||3||XXX 5xx||Free Elective||3||0||3|
|XXX 5xx||Technical Elective I||3||0||3||PETE 711||Ph.D. Pre-Dissertation||0||0||3|
|XXX 5xx||Technical Elective II||3||0||3|
|PETE 712||Ph.D. Dissertation||0||0||IP||PETE 712||Ph.D. Dissertation (Continued)||0||0||9|
- Each student is expected to submit his detailed degree plan according to the above generic degree plan for approval by the department and the Deanship of Graduate Studies by the middle of the second semester from enrollment.
- Students are required to adhere to the regulations of the degree plan. No relaxations will be given to any student and the courses taken in conflict of the above will not be counted towards the degree.
- The order of taking the courses can be different from above but the students must take the core courses before the electives.
- All elective courses should be taken with the advisor or graduate advisor approval