Dr. Dhafer A. Al Shehri
Chairman / Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Al Shehri is an experienced academic and industry professional with nineteen years of association with Saudi Aramco (1996–2015) and fourteen years with KFUPM starting as a Graduate Assistant (1983–89), a Lecturer (1988–94), and an Assistant Professor (1994–96) He rejoined KFUPM in 2015. He is a member of The Society of Petroleum Engineering (SPE), The Saudi Council of Engineers (SCE), The International /Saudi Association for Energy Economics (IAEE), and The Arabian Society for Human Resources Management (ASHRM).
Dr. Al Shehri is a Ph.D. Graduate in Petroleum Engineering from Texas A&M University in 1994 and in 2014 he secured a KFUPM Executive MBA Degree.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, 1994.
- Executive MBA, KFUPM, KSA, 2014.
- M.Sc., (Hons.), Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1987.
- B.Sc., (Hons.) Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1983.
- Petroleum Production Engineering
- Petroleum Reservoir Engineering and Management
- Reservoir Characterization
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Petroleum Economics
Papers Published in Refereed Journals
- Zeeshan Tariq, Salaheldin Elkatatny*, Mohamed Mahmoud, Abdulwahab Zaki, Abdulazeez Abdulraheem, Dhafer Al-Shehri, and Mendefro Wa Belayneh “A New Look into the prediction of Static Young’s Modulus and Unconfined Compressive Strength of the Rock using Artificial Intelligence Tools”, Published; Petroleum Geoscience, September 2019 https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2018-126.
- Mohammad Mizanur Rahman, MD Hasan Zahir, MD. Bashirul Haq, Dhafer A. Al-Shehri, A. Madhan Kumar “Corrosion Inhibition Properties of Waterborne Polyurethane/Cerium Nitrate Coatings on Mild Steel”. January 15, 2018. Coatings https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings8010034
- Mohammed D. Al-Ajmi, Dhafer Al-Shehri*, Mohamed Mahmoud, Nasser M. Al-Hajri “Risk-Based Approach to Evaluate Casing Integrity in Upstream Wells.” Journal of Energy Resources Technology, July 2, 2018, Vol. 140/12 122901-1. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4040237
- Bashirul Haq, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Jishan Liu, Keyu Liu. “Study of Phase Behavior and Ionic Effect of Green Surfactants in Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery” AJ17202. Published. May 28, 2018. The APPEA Journal (58)1 84-93. https://doi.org/10.1071/AJ17202
- Dhafer Al-Shehri “Oil and Gas Wells Enhanced Wellbore Casing Integrity Management Through Corrosion Rate Prediction Using Augmented Intelligent Approach”. Manuscript no. 416869. Published. , February 4, 2019 Sustainability Volume 11 Issue 3. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11030818
Extended Publications (+)
Papers Published in Refereed Journals
- Bashirul Haq, Jishan Liu, Keyu Liu, Esmile Malaki, Dhafer Al-Shehri, “Modification of Eclipse Simulator for Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery” Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. Published February 22, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-019-0608-y
- A. Al Shehri*, M. Mahmoud, O.S. Alade “Investigation of Effect of Silica Nanoparticles on the Rheological Characteristics of Water-in-Heavy Oil Emulsion”. Manuscript no. PETROSCI-2018-0532.R1. Published online. June 4, 2019 Petroleum Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12182-019-0330-x
- S. Alade, D.A. Al-Shehri*, M. Mahmoud, K. Sasaki and Y. Sugai, 2019. “Evaluation of Laminar Flow of Surfactant-Stabilized Bitumen-in-Water Emulsion in Pipe using Computational Fluid Dynamics: Effects of Water content and Salinity”. Journal of Dispersion Science & Technology. Published. May 16, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/01932691.2019.1614046
- Mohammad Al Kadem Saudi Aramco, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Mohamed Mahmoud, Rahul Gajbhiye “Holistic Evaluation of Water Cut in High GOR Wells for Better Production Management” Accepted by Saudi Aramco Journal of Technology spring issue 2019
- Olalekan S. Alade, Dhafer Al-Shehri*, Mohamed Mahmoud*, Amjed Hassan, Ayman Al Nakhli, and Mohammed Bataweel, “Evaluation of Kinetics and Energetics of Thermochemical Fluids for Enhanced Recovery of Heavy Oil and Liquid Condensate Recovery” Published: Energy & Fuels 2019, 33, 6, 5538-5543 Publication date: April 30, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b00681
- Olalekan Alade, Dhafer Al Shehri *, Mohamed Mahmoud*, Kyuro Sasaki “Viscosity-Temperature-Pressure Relationship of Extra-Heavy Oil (Bitumen): Empirical Modelling versus Artificial Neural Network (ANN)” Energies. Manuscript ID no. 505830 – energies. Published: 21 June 2019; https://doi.org/10.3390/en12122390
- Ahmed Homoud, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Rahul Gajbhiye “Transient Wellbore Pressure Build-up Correlation helps Engineers to ensure HIPPS Safe operations” August 7, 2019 SPE-199342-PA. SPE Productions and Operations.
- Amjed M. Hassan, Mohamed A. Mahmoud *, Abdulaziz A. Al-Majed, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Ayman R. Al-Nakhli, Mohammed A. Bataweel “Gas Production from Gas Condensate Reservoirs Using Environmentally Friendly Chemicals” May 18, 2019 Sustainability. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11102838
- Tamer Moussa, Mohamed Mahmoud, Esmail M. A. Mokheimer, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Shirish Patil “Heavy Oil Recovery using in-situ steam generated by Thermochemicals: A Feasibility Study” Journal of Energy Resources Technology. Published: June 20, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4043862
- Olalekan Alade, Dhafer Al-Shehri*, Mohamed Mahmoud*, Ayman Al-Nakhli, Mohammed Bataweel, Saheed Ganiyu. “Kinetics of Thermal Degradation of Tar in the Presence of Air and Nitrogen Gas” September 11, 2019 Energy & Fuels. Manuscript ID: ef-2019-02394y. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b02394
Papers Published in Conference Proceedings
- S. Kadem, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Mohammad S. Al Dabbous, Ali S. Al-Mashhad, Hassan A. Al-Sadah “Real-time Estimation of Flow Rate in Dry Gas Wells – a New Field” SPE SPE-KSA-132-MS Presented at SPE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Annual Technical Symposium and Exhibition held in Khobar, Saudi Arabia. 25-28 April 2016. https://doi.org/10.2118/182754-MS
- Mohammed D. Al-Ajmi, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Nasser M. Al-Hajri, Abdullrahman T. Mishkes, Muhammad A. Al-Hajri, “Risk Based Statistical Approach to Predict Casing Leaks” SPE Paper 183948 presented in MEOS 2017, 6-9 May 2017, Bahrain. https://doi.org/10.2118/183948-MS
- Zeeshan Tariq, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Salaheldin Elkatatny*, Mohamed Mahmoud, Abdulwhab Zaki, Abdulazeez Abdulraheem, and Mendefro Wa Belayneh “A New Look into the prediction of Static Young’s Modulus and Unconfined Compressive Strength of the Rock using Artificial Intelligence Tools”, Published; Petroleum Geoscience, September 2019 https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2018-126
- Mohammed Eliebid, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Mohamed Mahmoud, Reyad Shawabkeh, Abdullah Sultan, Mohamed Abouelresh, , King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, “Effect of Temperature and CO2 Content on the Natural Gas Production from Shale Gas Reservoirs” SPE-KSA-8466-MS presented in SPE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Annual Technical Symposium and Exhibition held in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, 24–27 April 2017. https://doi.org/10.2118/188025-MS
- Mohammed Eliebid, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Salaheldin Elkatatny,Mohammed Mahmoud, Mohamed Abouelresh, Reyad Shawabkeh. March 2018. “Temperature Impact on Adsorption Contribution to Sequestration of CO2 in Immature Shale Formations in Saudi Arabia”. SPE-KSA-558-MS presented in SPE-KSA Annual Technical Symposium & Exhibition (ATS&E) held in Dammam, 23-26 April 2018. https://doi.org/10.2118/192357-MS
- Mahmoud Nader Elzenary, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Khaled Z. Abdelgawad, Abdulazeez Abdulraheem, Mohamed Mahmoud, Salaheldin Elkatatny, All SPE Members. March 2018. “New Technology to Evaluate Circulating Density While Drilling Using Artificial Intelligence” SPE-KSA-110373-MS presented in SPE-KSA Annual Technical Symposium & Exhibition (ATS&E) held in Dammam, 23-26 April 2018. https://doi.org/10.2118/192282-MS
- Mahmoud Nader Elzenary, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Khaled Z. Abdelgawad, Mohamed Mahmoud, Salaheldin Elkatatny KFUPM, Mahmoud Abughaban Saudi Aramco All SPE Members. March 2018. “Drilling with Advanced Rotary Steerable System; Case study” SPE-KSA-110373-MS presented in SPE-KSA Annual Technical Symposium & Exhibition (ATS&E) held in Dammam, 23-26 April 2018.
- Khalid H. Al Zani, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Abdulaziz Abdulraheem, Mohamed Mahmoud KFUPM, March 2018. “Real Time Prediction of the Rheological Properties of Oil-Based Drilling fluids Using Artificial Neural Networks” SPE-192199-MS presented in SPE-KSA Annual Technical Symposium & Exhibition (ATS&E) held in Dammam, 23-26 April 2018. https://doi.org/10.2118/192199-MS
- MD Bashirul Haq, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Mohammad Mizanur Rahman, Mohamed Said Elsahat Mohammed, Yee-kwong Leong, UWA March 2018. “Acrylate Modified Xanthan Gum for EOR Application” Paper number: 117 presented in Chemical Engineering in Australia (CHEMECA 2018) held in Queenstown New Zealand , 30 September – 03 October 2018
- MD Bashirul Haq, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Mohammad Mizanur Rahman, Mohamed Said Elsahat Mohammed, Lionel Talley Fogang, Moaz Abdelkader Abdelwahib Hiba, Moustafa Taha Moustafa Aly, KFUPM, Yee-kwong Leong, UWA March 2018. “Xanthan Gum/Poly (Vinyl Alcohol) Polymer Solution: A Promising Blend for Temperature-Resistant and Salt-Tolerant Enhanced Oil Recovery Processes” Paper number: 62 presented in Chemical Engineering in Australia (CHEMECA 2018) held in Queenstown New Zealand , 30 September – 03 October 2018
- Abdulraheem, A., Al-Shehri, D.A, Mahmoud, M. A. “On Utilizing Functional Network to Develop Mathematical Model for Poisson’s Ratio Determination” ARMA-2018–744 presented at the 52nd US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium held in Seattle, Washington, USA, 17–20 June 2018. https://www.onepetro.org/conference-paper/ARMA-2018-744
- Zeeshan Tariq, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Mohamed Mahmoud, Najmudeen Sibaweihi, Ahmed Sadeed, M. Enamul Hossain; “A Stochastic Optimization Approach for Profit Maximization Using AlkalineSurfactant-Polymer Flooding in Complex Reservoirs” SPE-KSA-110373-MS presented in SPE-KSA Annual Technical Symposium & Exhibition (ATS&E) held in Dammam, 23-26 April 2018. https://doi.org/10.2118/192243-MS
- Zeeshan Tariq, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Mohamed Mahmoud, Abdulazeez Abdulraheem, Muhammad Rasheed Khan and Aneeq Nasir Janjua; “An Intelligent Solution to Forecast Pressure Drop in a Vertical Well Having Multiphase Flow Using Functional Network Technique” SPE-195656-MS accepted in PAPG/SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in Islamabad Pakistan , 10-12 December 2018. https://doi.org/10.2118/195656-MS
- MD Bashirul Haq, Dhafer Al-Shehri, MD Abdul Aziz, Abbas Saeed Hakeem, Yazan Ghassan Musa Mheibesh, Mohammed Ameen Ahmed Qasem “Date-leaf Carbon Micro-Nanostructured Particles (DLCMNPs) For Enhance Oil Recovery” SPE-194789-MS accepted in 21st SPE Middle East Oil & Gas Show and Conference (MEOS) held in Bahrain , 18-21, March 2019 https://doi.org/10.2118/194789-MS
- Shabab H. AlOtaibi, Yildiray Cinar, Saudi Aramco Dhafer Al-Shehri, KFUPM; “Analysis of Water/Oil Ratio in Complex Carbonate Reservoirs under Water-Flood” SPE-194982-MS presented at the SPE Middle East Oil & Gas Show and Conference (MEOS) to be held in Bahrain , 18-21, March 2019 https://doi.org/10.2118/194982-MS
- S. Alade, D. Al-Shehri, M. Mahmoud, K. Sasaki, Y. Sugai; “Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Evaluation of Laminar Flow of Bitumen-in-Water Emulsion Stabilized by Poly Vinyl Alcohol (PVA): Effects of Salinity and Water Cut” SPE-194778-MS presented at the SPE Middle East Oil & Gas Show and Conference (MEOS) to be held in Bahrain , 18-21, March 2019. https://doi.org/10.2118/194778-MS
- Ahmed A. Al-Sulaiman, Krinis Dimitrios, Saudi Aramco, Dhafer Al-Shehri “Influence of Surface Choke on Water Cut and Flow Profile in Horizontal Wellbores Intersecting Fractures and Super-Ks” SPE-194960-MS presented at the SPE Middle East Oil & Gas Show and Conference (MEOS) to be held in Bahrain , 18-21, March 2019. https://doi.org/10.2118/194960-MS
- Al-Shehri, D.A., Haq, B., “A Novel Approach in Gas Well Performance Monitoring and Forecasting using Modified Decline curve Analysis “ Paper number: IPTC-20322 for presentation at the 12th International Petroleum Technology Conference and Exhibition (IPTC) to be on held 13-15 January 2020 in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Al-Shehri, D.A., Opoku, D. “Holistic Approach to Estimate Water breakthrough; a Case Study” 4th Kuwait Oil & Gas Conference and Show. October 13-16, 2019. SPE-198143-MS http://e.ctt.bz/e.asp?e=616E61D6-AB13-415C-94AC-CD9084E31E17
- Al-Shehri, D.A., “Comprehensive Evaluation Of Water Breakthrough With A Novel Method To Estimate Water Production” Paper number: SPE-198643-MS to be presented at the Gas & Oil Technology Showcase and Conference to be on held 21-23 October 2019 in Dubai, UAE.
- Haq, MD Bashirul, Al-Shehri, Dhafer, Hasan Zahidul, Mohammed Isah, 2019 “A New Mathematical Workflow to Predict Permeability Variation Using Flowing Gas Material Balance” Paper number: OTC-30454-MS for presentation as a Knowledge Sharing Electronic Poster (ePoster) at the Offshore Technology Conference Asia to be on held March 24-27, 2020 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tariq, Z., Mahmoud, Al-Shehri, D.,, Abdulraheem, A. , Al-Nakhil, A., Bataweel, M., Murtaza, M., 2019 “A Novel and Environmentally Friendly Approach to Reduce the Breakdown Pressure of Unconventional Rocks using Cyclic Injection Scheme” SPE-197595-MS for presentation at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Conference and Exhibition to be held on November 11-14, 2019 in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Tariq, Z., Al-Shehri, D., Mahmoud, M., Abdulraheem, A. , Al-Nakhil, A., Bataweel, M.,2019 “A Novel Thermochemical Fracturing Approach to Reduce the Fracture Pressure of High Strength Rocks” SPE-197593-MS for presentation at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Conference and Exhibition to be held on November 11-14, 2019 in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Tariq, Z., Al-Shehri, D., Mahmoud, M., Abdulraheem, A. , Al-Nakhil, A., Bataweel, M.,2019 “An Experimental Evaluation of Thermochemical Fracturing in Layered Formations” SPE-MS for presentation at the SPE/APG Annual Technical Conference to be held on November 18-20, 2019 in Islamabad, Pakistan
Membership and Association with Professional Groups
- Society of Petroleum Engineering.
- Saudi Council of Engineers (SCE).
- International/Saudi Association for Energy Economics (IAEE/ SAEE).
- Arabian Society for Human Resource Management (ASHRM).
- Society of Petro-physicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA).
- Reviewer for Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology.
- Reviewer for Taif University Deanship of Scientific Research.
Awards & Honors
- 2019 recipient of International Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Distinguished Membership Award.
- 2018 Executive Board Member of the International Petroleum Engineering Department Heads Association (PEDHA)
- 18 years of Distinguished Service award with Saudi Aramco
Dr. Shirish Patil
Saudi Aramco Chair Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
In 1987, Shirish joined the newly established Petroleum Development Laboratory, University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) as Research Associate. He was instrumental in designing the research laboratories and overseeing the graduate research. He joined the faculty of the Petroleum Engineering department in 1991 and rose through the ranks to Full Professor in 2007. Shirish served as Director of the Petroleum Development Laboratory for the past 10 years. He then joined CPG in Sep. 2016 as Saudi Aramco Chair Professor of Petroleum Engineering. Shirish has served in numerous capacities the professional Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), American Association of Drilling Engineers (AADE) and the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Shirish has served as UAF Faculty Senate President and Chair of the University of Alaska system-wide Faculty Alliance, representing all three university campuses, as well as 7 rural satellite campuses. Shirish also serves as Associate Editor of the Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering (AJSE) and serves on the editorial board of Journal of Petroleum and Environmental Biotechnology (JPEB) and International Journal of Petroleum Engineering (IJPE).
- B.E. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pune, Pune, India.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- M.S. in Petroleum Engineering.
- M.S. in Engineering Management.
- Ph.D. in Mineral Resources Engineering from the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
Shirish has over 30 year’s research experience in the areas of PVT/phase behavior, miscible/immiscible displacement, Methane Hydrates, and GTL transportation studies. He has managed/co-managed several U.S. Department of Energy grants and other projects with international oil companies. He has been PI or Co-PI of over 20 successfully completed projects. His H-Index score is 15 and he has authored or co-authored over 95 technical papers, 1 book chapter, 5 edited proceedings and over 50 conference presentations and technical reports.
- Hrishikesk Joshi, Shirish Patil, Abhijit Dandekar, and Santanu Khataniar, “Reservoir Screening for EOR Potential for Western North Slope, Alaska”. 2015
- Agbalaka, C.C., Dandekar, A.Y., Patil, S.L., Khataniar, S. and Hemsath, J.R.: Coreflooding Studies to Evaluate the Impact of Salinity and Wettability on Oil Recovery Efficiency. 2009
- Raut, B., Patil, S.L., Dandekar, A.Y., Fisk, R., Maclean, B. and Hice, V.: “Comparative Study of Compositional Viscosity Prediction Models for Medium-Heavy Oils”. 2008
- Andrew Johnson, Shirish Patil and Abhijit Dandekar, “Measurement and modeling of gas-water relative permeability, Mount Elbert gas hydrate well, Alaska North Slope”. 2011.
- Matthew R. Walsh, Steve H. Hancock, Scott J. Wilson, Shirish L. Patil, George J. Moridis, Ray Boswell, Timothy S. Collett, Carolyn A. Koh and E. Dendy Sloan, “Preliminary report on the commercial viability of gas production from natural gas hydrates”. 2009
Awards & Honors
Shirish is a Distinguished Member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers and serves as a Commissioner on the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET. He received the UAF Distinguished Alumnus award in 2010. Recipient of the SPE Western North America Service award (2006) and SPE Western North America Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering faculty (2014), Shirish has also received “Outstanding Faculty Award” more than nine times during his 29 year tenure at UAF. Shirish was the recipient of the Alaska Engineer of the Year (2005) award (from all engineering societies). He received UAF’s highest service award, the Emil Usibelli Distinguished Service award in 2007. Shirish was appointed as State of Alaska representative in the US Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission by Alaska Governor Frank Murkowski in 2005, which he served for more than 10 years.
Dr. Sidqi A. Abu-Khamsin
Adjunct Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Abu-Khamsin joined the Department of Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, in 1984 and is currently an adjunct professor. He assumed chairmanship of the Department during 2004 – 2010. He is the petroleum-engineering editor for the Arabian Journal for Science & Engineering, a member of KFUPM’s Scientific Council, and a member of the Council of the College of Petroleum Engineering & Geosciences.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University, USA, 1984.
- M.Sc., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1978.
- B.Sc., First Honors, Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1975.
- Reservoir engineering and Enhanced Oil Recovery.
- Alqam, M.H., Abu-Khamsin, S.A., Sultan, A.S., Okasha, T.M., and Yildiz, H.O.: “Effect of Rock Mineralogy and Oil Composition on Wettability Alteration and Interfacial Tension by Brine and Carbonated Water,” Energy & Fuels, 33:3, March 2019, pp. 1983-1989.
- Al-Hajri, N.M., Abu-Khamsin, S.A., and Al-Ajmi, M.D.: “Estimating the static bottom-hole pressure of gas wells by top node calculation using apparent molecular weight profiling,” The Arabian Journal for Science & Engineering, 44:6, June 2019, pp. 6155 – 6165.
- Arif, M., Abu-Khamsin, S.A., and Iglauer, S.: “Wettability of Rock/CO2/brine and Rock/oil/CO2-enriched-brine systems: Critical Parametric Analysis and Future Outlook,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 268, June 2019, pp. 91-113.
- Aljawad, M.S., Alafnan, S.F., and Abu-Khamsin, S.A.: “Artificial Lift and Mobility Enhancement of Heavy Oil Reservoirs Utilizing a Renewable Energy Powered Heating Element,” ACS Omega, 4, Nov. 2019, pp. 20048-20058.
- Arif, M., Abu-Khamsin, S.A., Zhang, Y., and Iglauer, S.: “Experimental investigation of carbonate wettability as a function of mineralogical and thermo-physical conditions,” Fuel, 264, March 2020, 116846.
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Membership Award, Society of Petroleum Engineers International, 2017.
- Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty (Middle East Region), Society of Petroleum Engineers International, 2014.
- King Abdul-Aziz Order Medal of the First Degree, The Royal Court, KSA, 2004.
- Distinguished Teaching Award, College of Engineering Sciences, KFUPM, 1996, 2015.
- Distinguished Achievements Award, Department of Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, 1998-1999.
Dr. Abdulaziz A. Al Majed
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Al Majed is an experienced Academic & Industrialist of 30 years plus standing. Currently an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Petroleum Engineering. Formerly, he was Chairman of the Department from 2010-12, Director of The Center for Petroleum and Minerals, Research Institute from 2002-10, and Chairman of the Department of Petroleum Engineering from 1996-2002. In addition, he is a full-time CEO-level Consultant at Mas Holding Company that successfully launched Mas Power Mech Arabia in 2013-15.
His academic distinction is reflected in the four duly filed patents under his name, successful projects undertaken and the innovative research compiled around the subject of the oil industry.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, The University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA, 1988.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University, California, USA, 1981.
- B.Sc., Petroleum Engineering (Hons.), University of Petroleum and Minerals, KSA, 1978.
- Reservoir Rock Properties
- Drilling Engineering
- Reservoir Fluid Properties
- Drilling Engineering
- Directional Drilling
- Natural Gas Engineering
- Jung J. Kim a, Muhammad K. Rahman b, Abdulaziz A. Al-Majed, Mesfer M. Al-Zahrani d,Mahmoud M. Reda Taha e, Nanosilica effects on composition and silicate polymerization in hardened cement paste cured under high temperature and pressure Cement & Concrete Composites 43 (2013) 78–85.
- Saad Alafnan, Murtada Aljawad, Fahd Alismail, Abdulaziz A. Al-Majed,” Enhanced Recovery from Gas Condensate Reservoirs through Renewable Energy Sources”. Energy Fuels, Published August 21, 2019
- Amjed M. Hassan, Mohamed A. Mahmoud, Abdulaziz A. Al-Majed, Dhafer Al-Shehri, Ayman R. Al-Nakhli, and Mohammed A. Bataweel,” Gas Production from Gas Condensate Reservoirs Using Sustainable Environmentally Friendly Chemicals”. Sustainability 2019, 11, 2838.
- Salaheldin Elkatatny, Tural Jafarov, Abdulaziz A. Al-Majed, Mohamed A. Mahmoud,” Formation Damage Avoidance by Reducing Invasion with Sodium Silicate-Modified Water-based Drilling Fluid”, Energies. Published 19 April 2019.
- Abdelmjeed Mohamed; Salaheldin Elkatatny, and Abdulaziz A. Al- Majed, “Removal of Calcium Carbonate Water-Based Filter Cake Using a Green Biodegradable Acid” Sustainability Accepted Jan. 2020.
Awards & Honors
- Winner of the Best Advisor Award, College of Engineering Sciences, KFUPM, 1993-94.
- Winner of Prince Muhammad Award for Best Scientific Research, 1993-94 (Member, Wettability Project, Research Institute, KFUPM).
- Winner of Distinguished Research Team Award 1995/96 (Member, Rock Compressibility Project, Research Institute. KFUPM).
- Winner of British Council Summer Research Grant in UK Universities 2001.
- Winner of British Council Summer Research Grant in UK Universities 2007.
Dr. Mohamed Mahmoud
Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Mahmoud is a Professor at The Department of Petroleum Engineering. He joined KFUPM as an Assistant Professor in September 2011. Prior that he was working as an application scientist at AkzoNobel, Chicago, USA. From 2004-08 he worked as a Petroleum Engineer at Belayim Petroleum Co. in Egypt. During the period from 2001-04, he was a drilling engineer at Magawish Petroleum Co., Egypt. His Research interests are varied and covering subjects including Well simulation, enhanced oil recovery and multiphase flow in vertical and horizontal wells.
He is a Ph.D. Graduate in Petroleum Engineering from the Texas A&M University 2011. Prior to that, Mohamed undertook his M.Sc. Degree in Petroleum Engineering in Egypt in 2005.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2011.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, Egypt, 2005.
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Egypt, 2001.
- Well stimulation, formation damage, enhanced oil recovery, drilling fluids, modeling of hole cleaning during drilling deviated and horizontal wells, and multiphase flow in vertical and horizontal wells.
- Tariq, Z., Mahmoud, M.*, Abdulraheem, A., Al-Nakhli, A., and BaTaweel, M. 2020. An Experimental Study to Reduce the Breakdown Pressure of the Unconventional Carbonate Rock by Cyclic Injection of Thermochemicals Fluids. Accepted, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. IF. 3.1, Q1.
- Tariq, Z., Mahmoud, M., Abdulraheem, A. 2020. An Intelligent data-driven Model for Dean-Stark Water Saturation Prediction in Carbonate Rocks. Accepted, NCAA-D-19-01467, in Neural Computing and Applications. IF 4.66, Q1 Journal.
- Elsayed, M., Mahmoud, M.*, El-Husseiny, A., Kamal, M.S., Al-Garadi, K. 2020. A New Method to Evaluate Reaction Kinetics of Acids with Carbonate Rocks Using NMR Diffusion Measurements. Accepted, Energy and Fuels. IF 3.02, Q1 journal.
- Lawal, L., Olayiwola, T., Abdel-Azeim, S., Mahmoud, M.*, Onawole, A., Kamal, M. 2020. Molecular Simulation of Kerogen-Water Interaction: Theoretical Insights into Maturity. Accepted, Journal of Molecular Liquids, IF 4.561, Q1.
- Alade, A.S., Hamdy, M., Mahmoud, M.*, Al Shehri, D., Mokheimer, E., Patil1, S., Al-Nakhli, A. 2020. A Preliminary Assessment of Thermochemical Fluid for Heavy Oil Recovery. Accepted, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. IF. 3.1, Q1.
- Mahmoud, M.*, Alade, O.S., Hamdy, M., Patil, S., Mokheimer, E.M. 2019. In Situ Steam and Nitrogen Gas Generation by Thermochemical Fluid Injection: A New Approach for heavy Oil Recovery. Accepted, Energy Conversion and Management. IF 7.18 Q1 Journal.
Awards & Honors
- First Winner in SPE Paper Contest Award, Egyptian Section, 2001.
- Best Paper Award for SPE Young Professional at the ATCE 2009, New Orleans Louisiana, USA. 2009.
- Best Paper Award for SPE Young Professional at the ATCE 2011, Colorado, Denver, USA, 2011.
- Distinguished Teaching Award, KFUPM, KSA, 2016.
Dr. Salaheldin M. Elkatatny
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Elkatatny is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM. He worked as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Petroleum Engineering, Cairo University for two years and as a Senior Geo-mechanical Engineer at Advantek International Co. for five years. He was employed by Suco Oil Co. as a Drilling Engineer for one year. While serving as a Research Assistant at Texas A&M University he developed a new theory for filter cake heterogeneity assessment and assumed other research related to using environmentally friendly acids to remove the water-based filter cake and optimization of micro-sized ilmenite water-based drilling fluid for HPHT applications.
Dr. Elkatatny is in charge of a new initiative to transform ideas into a reality. find out more by visiting IDEAS page.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2013.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, 2009.
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, 2005.
- Drilling fluid optimization, filter cake removal, formation damage, stimulation, wellbore stability, and geomechanics.
- Nasr-El-Din, H.A., Wolf, D., and Elkatatny, S.M. One Step Process to Remove Filter Cake and Treat a Subterranean Formation with a Chelating Agent. Application WO2013160334 A1. 2013.
- AL Moajil, A., Elkatatny, S.M., Nasr-El-Din, H.A. New Environmentally Friendly Fluid to Remove Mn3O4 Filter Cake. US US20140110121 A1. 2014.
- Barri, A., Mahmoud, M.A., and Elkatatny, S.M. 2016. Evaluation of Rock Mechanical Properties Alteration during Matrix Stimulation with Chelating Agents. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 138 (3): doi: 10.1115/1.4032546
- Mohamed, I. M., Block, G. I., Abou-Sayed, O. A., Elkatatny, S. M., and Abou-Sayed, A. 2016. Flow Rate Dependent Skin in Water Disposal Injection Well. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, JERT-15-1198.
Awards & Honors
- Third Position in the First Stage of the Paper Contest Competition, Texas A&M University, USA, 2012.
- Schlumberger Scholarship Award, 2005.
- Schlumberger Distinguished Student Award, 2003.
Dr. Abdulazeez Abdulraheem
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Abdulazeez Abdulraheem is an Associate Professor focusing mainly on geomechanics and the applications of artificial intelligence in different areas of petroleum engineering. Before joining the department, he has worked as a Research Engineer in the Research Institute at KFUPM for almost 18 years addressing field challenges in areas such as wellbore instability, sand production, and experimental rock mechanics.
- Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering, GPA 4.0/4.0, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, USA. – 1994.
- M.E., in Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. – 1985.
- B.E., in Civil Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. – 1983.
- Geomechanics in Petroleum Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence applications in Petroleum Engineering
- Abdulraheem, A., M. Zaman, and J.-C. Roegiers (1993). A Finite Element Model for Ekofisk Field Subsidence, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 19, pp. 299-310.
- Zaman, M., J.-C. Roegiers, A. Abdulraheem, and M. Azeemuddin (1994). Pore collapse in Weakly cemented and porous Rocks, ASME Journal of Energy Resources Technology, June, Vol. 116, pp. 97-103.
- Hassan, H.M., Korvin, G., and A. Abdulraheem (2001). Fractal and Genetic Aspects of Khuff Reservoir Stylolites, Eastern Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering Journal. 27(2001): 29-56.
- Korvin, G., Mohiuddin, M.A., A. Abdulraheem (2001). Experimental Investigation of the Fractal Dimension of the Pore Surface of Sedimentary Rocks under Pressure. Geophysical Transactions, 44 (2001): 3-19.
- Mohiuddin, M.A., K. Khan, A. Abdulraheem, A. Al-Majed, and M.R. Awal (2007). Analysis of wellbore instability in vertical, directional, and horizontal wells using field data. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 55 (2007). pp. 83-92.
- M.A. Al-Marhoun, S. Nizamuddin, A.A. Abdul Raheem, S. Shujath Ali, A.A. Muhammadain. (2012). Prediction of crude oil viscosity curve using artificial intelligence techniques. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 86-87 (2012) 111–117.
- Anifowose F., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem, Ensemble Learning Model for Petroleum Reservoir Characterization: A Case of Feed-Forward Back-Propagation Neural Networks, In: Trends and Applications in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 7867, 2013, pp 71-82.
- G. Korvin, Oleschko, K., and A. Abdulraheem (2013). A simple geometric model of sedimentary rock to connect transfer and acoustic properties. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. February 2013.
- Ali, S.S., S. Nizamuddin, A. Abdulraheem, M. R. Hassan, M. E. Hossain. (2013). Hydraulic unit prediction using support vector machine. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 110 (2013) pp 243–252.
- F. Anifowose, J. Labadin, and A. Abdulazeez. (2013). “A Least Square-driven Functional Networks Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Hybrid Model for Efficient Petroleum Reservoir Properties Prediction”, Neural Computing and Applications, DOI 10.1007/s00521-012-1298-2, 2013.
- Ali, S.S., S. Nizamuddin, A. Abdulraheem, M. R. Hassan, M. E. Hossain. (2013). Hydraulic unit prediction using support vector machine, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering Volume 110, Pages 243-252.
- Al-Marhoun, M. A., S. S. Ali, A. Abdulraheem, S. Nizamuddin, A. Muhammadain (2014) Prediction of bubble point pressure from composition of black oils using artificial neural network, Petroleum Science and Technology, 32:14, 1720-1728.
- F. Anifowose, S. Adeniye and A. Abdulraheem (2014), “Recent advances in the application of computational intelligence techniques in oil and gas reservoir characterization: a comparative study”, Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 2014. doi = 10.1080/0952813X.2014.924577.
- Anifowose, F., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem (2015). Ensemble Model of Non-linear Feature Selection-Based Extreme Learning Machine for Improved Natural Gas Reservoir Characterization. Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering. doi:10.1016/j.jngse.2015.02.012.
- Abdlmutalib, A, O. Abdullatif, G. Korvin, and Abdulraheem. (2015). The relationship between lithological and geomechanical properties of tight carbonate rocks from Upper Jubaila and Arab-D Member outcrop analog, Central Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. May 2015. DOI 10.1007/s12517-015-1957-6.
- Adebayo, A. R., A. Abdulraheem, S.O. Olatunji. (2015). Artificial Intelligence Based.
- A. Al-Ameri, A. Abdulraheem, M. Mahmoud. Long-Term Effects of CO2 Sequestration on Rock Mechanical Properties. Journal of Energy Resources Technology. J. Energy Resour. Technol 138(1), 012201 (Dec 01, 2015). Paper No: JERT-15-1186; doi: 10.1115/1.4032011.
- Anifowose, F.A., J. Labadin, A. Abdulraheem (2016). Hybrid intelligent systems in petroleum reservoir characterization and modeling: the journey so far and the challenges ahead. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. doi:10.1007/s13202-016-0257-3. Jun. 2016.
- Anifowose, F. S. Adeniye, A. Abdulraheem, A. Al-Shuhail (2016). Integrating seismic and log data for improved petroleum reservoir properties estimation using non-linear feature-selection based hybrid computational intelligence models. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 145. Sep. 2016. pp 230–237.
- Elkatatny, S., M. Mahmoud, I. Mohamed, A. Abdulraheem (2017). Development of a new correlation to determine the static Young’s modulus. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. doi:10.1007/s13202-017-0316-4.
- Elkatatny, S., Mahmoud, M., Z. Tariq, A. Abdulraheem.(2017) New insights into the prediction of heterogeneous carbonate reservoir permeability from well logs using artificial intelligence network. Neural Computing & Applications (2017). doi:10.1007/s00521-017-2850-x.
- Elkatatny, S.M., Mahmoud, M.A., Mohamed, I., and Abdulraheem, A. 2017. Development of A New Correlation to Determine the Static Young’s Modulus”, Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, In Press.
Awards & Honors
- 2003 – Project Manager of the team awarded for Best Research Team Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Wellbore Instability – Khafji Reservoir (Phase II)”.
- 2002 – Best Research Project Manager Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Wellbore Instability – Khafji Reservoir (Phase I)”.
- 1999 – Project Manager of the team awarded for Best Research Team Award of the Research Institute, KFUPM for the project, “Rock Mechanics Study of Ghawar Khuff Reservoirs” (PN 21148).
- 1999 – Member of the team for Best Short Course Award by KFUPM.
- 1993 – Best paper award by “Indian Geotechnical Journal”.
Dr. Abeeb Awotunde
Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Awotunde is a Professor in the Petroleum Engineering Department at KFUPM. Since joining KFUPM in 2010, he has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in Reservoir Simulation, Flow in Porous Media, Reservoir Description, and Well Test Analysis. He has also taught the graduate course in Mathematical Methods in Petroleum Engineering.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University, USA, 2010.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 2006.
- B.Sc., Petroleum Engineering, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 2002
- Reservoir Simulation, Parameter Estimation, and Uncertainty Analysis
- Field Development Optimization
- Groundwater Flow and Contaminant Transport
- Well Test Analysis
- Awotunde, A. A. 2017. GLOCAL: A Global-Local Optimization Template for Multiple History-Matched Reservoir Parameters, JPSE, 154: 1-18.
- Khan, R. A., and Awotunde, A. A. 2016. Optimal Parameters Selection for SAGD and VAPEX Processes, J. of Petrol Explor Prod Tech., 1-22.
- Rammay, M. H., and Awotunde, A. A. 2016. Stochastic Optimization of Hydraulic Fracture and Horizontal Well Parameters in Shale Gas Reservoirs, J. of Nat. Gas Sci. and Engr., 13(3): 71-78.
- Zhang, X. and Awotunde, A. A. 2016. Improvement of Levenberg-Marquardt Algorithm during History Fitting for Reservoir Simulation, Petroleum Exploration, and Development, 43(5): 876-885.
- Mehmood, S. and Awotunde, A. A. 2016. Sensitivity-based Upscaling for History Matching of Reservoir Models, Petroleum Science, 13(3): 517-531.
- Zaza, A., Awotunde, A. A., Fairag, F. A. and Al-Mouhamed, M. A. 2016. A CUDA based Parallel Reservoir Simulator, Computer Physics Communications, 206(2016): 2-16.
- Awotunde, A. A., Ghanam, R. A., Al-Homidan S. and Tatar, N. M. 2016. Numerical Schemes for Anomalous Diffusion of Single-Phase Fluids in Porous Media, CNSNS, 39: 381-395.
- Awotunde, A. A. 2016. Generalized Field-Development Optimization with Well-Control Zonation, Comput Geosci, 20: 213-230.
- Awotunde, A. A., Ghanam, R. A. and Tatar, N. M. 2015. Artificial boundary condition for a modified fractional diffusion problem, Boundary Value Prob, 2015:20.
- Awotunde, A. A. 2015. Estimation of Well Test Parameters Using Global Optimization Techniques, JPSE, 125: 269-277.
- Sibaweihi, N., Awotunde, A. A., Sultan, A. S. and Al-Yousef, H. Y. 2015. Sensitivity Studies and Stochastic Optimization of CO2-Foam Flooding, Comput Geosci, 19(1): 31-47.
Dr. Abdullah Sultan
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Sultan is an Associate Professor in the Department of Petroleum Engineering. His research group focuses on complex and reactive fluids to address problems in the oil and gas industry with a focus on enhanced oil/gas recovery, drilling fluids, well stimulation, gel, emulsions, and flow assurance. He established the Complex and Reactive Fluids (CRF) Lab at KFUPM. Dr. Sultan has numerous publications in refereed journals and conferences. He served as Director for the Center of Petroleum & Minerals, Research Institute at KFUPM (2010 – 2015), and Chairman for the Department of Petroleum Engineering (2012 – 2017).
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2009.
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA. 2004.
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
Complex and Reactive Fluids for oil and gas applications.
- Abdulmajeeb T. Onawole, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Safwat Abdel-Azeim, Mohamed Mahmoud, Mohammed A. Saad. (2019). Molecular and Electronic Structure Elucidation of Fe2+/Fe3+ complexed Chelators used in iron sulfides Scale removal in oil and gas wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 9999. DOI: 1002/cjce.23463
- Mohammad H. Alqam, Sidqi A. Abu-Khamsin, Abdullah S. Sultan, Taha M. Okasha, and Hasan O. Yildiz. (2019). Effect of Rock Mineralogy and Oil Composition on Wettability Alteration and Interfacial Tension by Brine and Carbonated Water. Energy Fuels, 2019, 33 (3), pp 1983–1989. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b04143.
- Abdullah Sultan. (2018). Stability of PAM/PEI emulsified gels under HTHS conditions for water shut-off treatment. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production (accepted). DOI: 1007/s13202-018-0597-2.
- Lionel T. Fogang, Abdullah S. Sultan and Muhammad S. Kamal. (2018). Understanding viscosity reduction of a long-tail sulfobetaine viscoelastic surfactant by organic compounds. RSC Advances, Vol 8, pp 4455-4463. DOI: 1039/C7RA12538K.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan*, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Gelation of Emulsified Polyacrylamide/Polyethylenimine under High-Temperature, High-Salinity Conditions: Rheological Investigation. Eng. Chem. Res., 2018, 57(36), pp 12278–12287. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.8b02571.
- Abdelhalim I.A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Use of organoclay as a stabilizer for water-in-oil emulsions under high-temperature high-salinity conditions. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 160 pp: 302-312. DOI: 1016/j.petrol.2017.10.077.
- Muhammad Shahzad Kamal, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Mohamed Mahmoud, Abdullah S. Sultan, and Mohammed A.S. Saad. (2018). Oilfield scale formation and chemical removal: A review. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 171 pp: 127-139. DOI:1016/j.petrol.2018.07.037. ISI/Scopus:
- A. Adewunmi, S. Ismail, and A. S. Sultan. (2018). Crosslinked Polyacrylamide Composite Hydrogels Impregnated with Fly Ash: Synthesis, Characterization and Their Application as Fractures Sealant for High Water Producing Zones in Oil and Gas Wells. Journal of Polymers and Environment, Vol 26(8), pp 3294-3306. DOI: 10.1007/s10924-018-1204-9. ISI/Scopus: Impact Factor: 1.971.
- Mohammed Eliebid, Mohamed Mahmoud, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Reyad Shawabkeh, Abdullah Sultan, and Mohammed J. Al-Marri. (2018). Impact of Surfactant on the Retention of CO2and Methane in Carbonate Reservoirs. Energy Fuels, Vol 32 (4), pp 5355-5363. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b00213.
- Ahmad A. Adewunmi, Suzylawati Ismail, Taoreed O. Owolabi, Abdullah S. Sultan, Sunday O. Olatunji, Zulkifli Ahmad. (2018). Hybrid Intelligent Modelling of the Viscoelastic Moduli of Coal Fly Ash Based Polymer Gel System for Water Shutoff Treatment in Oil and Gas Wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (published online). DOI:/10.1002/cjce.23436.
- Jun Li and Abdullah S. Sultan. (2017). Klinkenberg slippage effect in the permeability computations of shale gas by the pore-scale simulations. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol 48, pp 197-202. DOI: 1016/j.jngse.2016.07.041.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Abdullah S. Sultan*, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2017). Influence of Surfactant Structure on the Stability of Water-in-Oil Emulsions under High-Temperature High-Salinity Conditions. Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 2017, Article ID 5471376, 11 pages. DOI: 1155/2017/5471376.
- Mohamed E. Kandil, Nayef M. Al-Saifi, Abdullah S. Sultan. (2016). Simulation and measurements of volumetric and phase behavior of carbon dioxide + higher alkanes at high pressure: CO2+ n-decane at temperatures (313–410) K and pressures up to 76 MPa. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 53, pp 198–206. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.045.
Awards & Honors
- University Advising Award for the College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (2018).
- SPE Regional Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty (2018).
Dr. Ruud Weijermars
Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Weijermars conducts original research in petroleum engineering to develop new tools and methods related to the quantification and visualization of (1) fluid flow in porous media, and (2) fracture propagation. He has developed new production forecasting tools and reserves estimation methods to support industry, with a heavy focus on unconventional resource development. Prior to joining KFUPM in 2021, Weijermars worked at Texas A&M University and the Bureau of Economic Geology, UT Texas at Austin — he was a postdoc at ETH Zurich in the late 1980s.
- Habilitation, Uppsala University
- Ph.D. in Geodynamics, Uppsala University
- MS in Geosciences, University of Amsterdam
- BS in Geosciences, University of Amsterdam
- Flow in Fractured Porous Media
- Hydraulic Fracture Propagation
- Wellbore Stability under Anisotropy
- Production Forecasting and Reserves Estimation
• Weijermars, R., 2020. Improving Well Productivity – Ways to Reduce the Lag between the Diffusive and Convective Time of Flight in Shale Wells. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. doi: 10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107344
• Weijermars, R., Pham, T., and Ettehad, M., 2020. Linear Superposition Method (LSM) for Solving Stress Tensor Fields and Displacement Vector Fields: Application to Multiple Pressure-Loaded Circular Holes in an Elastic Plate with Far-Field Stress. Applied Mathematics and Computation, Volume 381, 125234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2020.125234
• Weijermars, R., Nandlal, K., Tugan, M.F., Dusterhoft, R., and Stegent, N., 2020. Hydraulic Fracture Test Site Drained Rock Volume and Recovery Factors Visualized by Scaled Complex Analysis Models: Emulating Multiple Data Sources (production rates, Water Cuts, Pressure Gauges, Flow Regime Changes, and b-sigmoids). Unconventional Resources Technology Conference held in Austin, Texas, USA, 20-22 July 2020, URTeC 2020-2434. A
• Weijermars, R., Wang, J., and Pham, T., 2020. Borehole failure mechanisms in naturally and hydraulically fractured formations investigated with a fast time-stepped linear superposition method (TLSM). ARMA 20-1999.
• Pham, T., and Weijermars, R., 2020. Solving Stress Tensor Fields around Multiple Pressure-Loaded Fractures using a Linear Superposition Method (LSM). Applied Mathematical Modeling, Volume 88, December 2020, Pages 418-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2020.06.041
• Weijermars, R., Wang, J., and Nelson, R., 2020. Elastic Anisotropy in shale formations and its effect on near-borehole stress fields and failure modes. Earth-Science Reviews, Volume 200, article id. 102957. doi:10.1016/j.earscirev.2019.102957.
• Weijermars, R., and Ettehad, M., 2019. Displacement field potentials for deformation in elastic media: Theory and Application to Pressure-Loaded Boreholes. Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 340, p. 276–295.
• Khanal, A., and Weijermars, R. 2019. Pressure Depletion and Drained Rock Volume (DRV) near Hydraulically Fractured Parent and Child Wells (Eagle Ford Formation). Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 172, p. 607-626.
• Harmelen, A. and Weijermars, R. 2018. Complex analytical solutions for flow in hydraulically fractured hydrocarbon reservoirs with and without natural fractures. Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 56, p. 137-157.
Awards & Honors
- SPE Distinguished Membership Award, Texas A&M University, USA
- Distinguished Researcher Award, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Saudi Arabia.
- King Oscar Prize for Research/Teaching, University of Uppsala, Sweden.