Dr. Sayed M. Shakil Hussain
Research Scientist II, CIPR
Since 2012, Dr. Syed has been a Research Scientist III at Center for Integrative Petroleum Research (CPIR). Between 2009 – 2010, he was a postdoctoral researcher in Dr. Victor Snieckus group, Chemistry Department, Queen’s University. He has also been involved in several national-funded and client-funded research projects. He has an established track record of publishing high-quality articles in prestigious journals. His areas of interest include the synthesis and purification of surfactants, polymers, chelating agents and their use in various oilfield applications such as drilling mud, stimulation and enhanced oil recovery. Dr. Syed is also proficient in the use of air-sensitive and pyrophoric reagents.
- Postdoc, Homogeneous & Heterogeneous Catalysis, KFUPM, 2010-2012
- Postdoc, Homogeneous Catalysis, Queen’s University, Canada, 2009-2010
- Ph.D., Synthetic Organic Chemistry in sandwich program between Queen’s University, Canada and University of Karachi, 2009.
- MS, Organic Chemistry, University of Karachi, 2002.
- Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Lost Circulation Material
- Acid diversion
- Well Stimulation
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, M. Murtaza, “Synthesis of novel ethoxylated quaternary ammonium gemini surfactants for enhanced oil recovery application”, Energies, Vol. 12 (2019), pp. 1731.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, L. T. Fogang, Shirish Patil, “Effect of the number of ethylene oxide units on the properties of synthesized tailor-made cationic gemini surfactants for oilfield applications”, Journal of Molecular Structure, Vol. 1196 (2019), pp. 851.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, M. Murtaza, “Effect of Aromatic Spacer Groups and Counterions on Aqueous Micellar and Thermal Properties of the Synthesized Quaternary Ammonium Gemini Surfactants”, Journal of Molecular Liquids, Vol. 296, (2019), pp. 111837.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, Theis Solling, M. Murtaza, L. T. Fogang, “Surface and thermal properties of synthesized cationic poly(ethylene oxide) gemini surfactants: the role of the spacer”, RSC Advances, Vol. 9, (2019), pp. 30154.
- S. M. Shakil Hussain, M. S. Kamal, L. T. Fogang, “Synthesis and physicochemical investigation of betaine type polyoxyethylene zwitterionic surfactants containing different ionic headgroups”, Journal of Molecular Structure, Vol. 1178 (2019), pp. 83.
Awards & Honors
- Higher Education Commission of Pakistan International Scholarship Award.
- GRE (Subjective, Chemistry by ETS, USA) 61 percentile.
- Junior Research Fellowship Award from H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi.