Dr. Salem Abdullah Basfar
Post-Doc Researcher, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Basfar is a Post-Doctoral researcher in the Department of Petroleum Engineering at KFUPM since September 2023. He previously worked as a Researcher in the Petroleum Engineering department from 2015 to 2023, during which he completed his MS and Ph.D. Dr. Basfar has been an integral part of the Drilling Fluid Research Team at the Department of Petroleum Engineering since 2017. He introduced different techniques to prevent barite settling for both water and oil-based drilling fluids.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2023
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2018
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Hadhramaut University, Yemen, 2012
- Drilling Fluid Evaluation
- Barite Sag
- Filter Cake Removal
- Basfar, S., Bageri, B., & Elkatatny, S. (2023). Effect of Qusaiba shale formation on high-pressure high-temperature drilling fluids properties. Geoenergy Science and Engineering, 224, 211608. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoen.2023.211608
- Basfar, S., Ahmed, A. and Elkatatny, S., 2022. Ilmenite Inclusion: A Solution towards Solid Sagging for Hematite-Based Invert Emulsion Mud. Geofluids, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/7438163
- Basfar, S., Ahmed, A., Solling, T. and Elkatatny, S., 2021. Using manganese tetroxide for hematite settling prevention in water-based mud. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, pp.1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-021-06336-6.
- Basfar, S., Al Jaberi, J., Elkatatny, S. and Bageri, B.S., 2021. Prevention of hematite settling using perlite in water-based drilling fluid. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, p.110030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.110030
- Ahmed, A., Basfar, S. and Elkatatny, S., 2022. Sagging prevention for hematite-based invert emulsion mud. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 144(7). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4052181
Extended Publications (+)
- Almutawa, W., Ahmed, A., Basfar, S., Elkatatny, S., Haidary, S. and Zitha, P., 2021. Investigation of magnetite-based invert emulsion mud at high pressure high temperature. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 14(18), pp.1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-021-08293-8.
- Mohamed, A., Basfar, S., Elkatatny, S. and Al-Majed, A., 2021. Enhancement of Static and Dynamic Sag Performance of Water-Based Mud Using a Synthetic Clay. ACS omega, 6(12), pp.8179-8188. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.0c06186.
- Ahmed, A., Basfar, S., Elkatatny, S. and Gajbhiye, R., 2020. Enhancing Hematite-Based Invert Emulsion Mud Stability at High-Pressure High-Temperature Wells. ACS omega, 5(50), pp.32689-32696. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.0c05068.
- Basfar, S., Ahmed, A. and Elkatatny, S., 2020. Stability Enhancing of Water-Based Drilling Fluid at High Pressure High Temperature. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, pp.1-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-020-05126-w.
- Basfar, S., Mohamed, A. and Elkatatny, S., 2020. Barite–Micromax mixture, an enhanced weighting agent for the elimination of barite sag in invert emulsion drilling fluids. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, 10(6), pp.2427-2435. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-020-00892-7.
- Basfar, S. and Elkatatny, S., 2020. Prevention of hematite settling using synthetic layered silicate while drilling high-pressure wells. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 13(12), pp.1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-020-05516-2.
- Gamal, H., Elkatatny, S., Basfar, S. and Al-Majed, A., 2019. Effect of pH on rheological and filtration properties of water-based drilling fluid based on bentonite. Sustainability, 11(23), p.6714. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11236714