Dr. Mahmoud Abdulhamid
Research Scientist III, CIPR
Dr. Abdulhamid is currently a Research Faculty (Research Scientist III) in the Center for Integrated Petroleum Research, College of Petroleum Engineering & Geoscience, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. Dr. Abdulhamid has background in organic and polymer chemistry with main focus on porous polymers and membranes for separation applications. Dr. Abdulhamid has obtained his Ph.D. degree in Chemical Science from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) in 2019 under the supervision of Prof. Ingo Pinnau (Founded director of Advanced Membrane and Porous Materials Center). He joined Szekely’s group as a postdoc in KAUST in 2019, where he worked with Prof. Gyorgy Szekely on developing advanced polymeric membranes for energy-efficient separations. In 2021 he joined CPG to be a part of CIPR
- Ph.D., Chemical Science, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), KSA, 2019.
- M.S.II, Organic and Polymer Chemistry, Lebanese University, Lebanon, 2013.
- M.S.I, Molecular Chemistry, Lebanese University, Lebanon, 2012.
- B.S., General Chemistry Lebanese University, Lebanon, 2011
- Developing of microporous polymers for membrane-based gas separations
- Structure-property relationship of polymers and their performance
- Molecular engineering of high-performance nanofiltration membranes
- Water-soluble polymers
- Enhanced oil recovery
- Water purification and desalination
- M.A. Abdulhamid, S.-H. Park, H. Vovusha, F.H. Akhtar, K.C. Ng, U. Schwingenschlogl, G. Szekely, Molecular engineering of high-performance nanofiltration membranes from intrinsically microporous poly(ether-ether-ketone), Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2020, 8, 24445. (selected for front cover)– IF: 12.7.
- H. Akhtar‡, M.A. Abdulhamid‡, H. Vovusha, K.C. Ng, U. Schwingenschlogl, G. Szekely, Defining sulfonation limits of poly(ether-ether-ketone) for energy-efficient dehumidification, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2021, 9, 17740-17748. (Selected for front cover)– IF: 12.7.
- M.A. Abdulhamid, R. Hardian, G. Szekely, Waltzing around the stereochemistry of membrane crosslinkers for precise molecular sieving in organic solvents, Journal of Membrane Science, 2021, 638, 119724 – IF: 8.7
- M.A. Abdulhamid, S.-H. Park, Z. Zhou, D.A. Ladner, G. Szekely, Surface engineering of intrinsically microporous poly(ether-ether-ketone) membranes: From flat to honeycomb structures, Journal of Membrane Science, 2021, 621, 118997 – IF: 8.7.
- M.A. Abdulhamid, H.W.H. Lai, Y. Wang, Z. Jin, Y.C. Teo, X. Ma, I. Pinnau, Y. Xia, Microporous polyimides from ladder diamines synthesized by facile catalytic arene–norbornene annulation as high-performance membranes for gas separation, Chemistry of Materials, 2019, 31, 1767-1774– IF: 9.8.
Extended Publications (+)
- M.A. Abdulhamid, G. Genduso, X. Ma, I. Pinnau, Synthesis and characterization of 6FDA/3, 5-diamino-2, 4, 6-trimethylbenzenesulfonic acid-derived polyimide for gas separation applications, Separation and Purification Technology, 2021, 257, 117910– IF: 7.3.
- A. Abdulhamid, G. Genduso, Y. Wang, X. Ma, I. Pinnau, Plasticization-resistant carboxyl-functionalized 6FDA-polyimide of intrinsic microporosity (PIM–PI) for membrane-based gas separation, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2019, 59, 5247-5256– IF: 3.72.
- M.A. Abdulhamid, X. Ma, B.S. Ghanem, I. Pinnau, Synthesis and characterization of organo-soluble polyimides derived from alicyclic dianhydrides and a dihydroxyl-functionalized spirobisindane diamineACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2018, 1, 63-69–IF: 4.08.
- A. Abdulhamid, X. Ma, X. Miao, I. Pinnau, Synthesis and characterization of a microporous 6FDA-polyimide made from a novel carbocyclic pseudo Tröger’s base diamine: Effect of bicyclic bridge on gas transport properties, Polymer, 2017, 130, 182-190. –IF: 4.43.
- Gao, V.M. Le Corre, A. Gaïtis, M. Neophytou, M.A. Abdulhamid, K. Takanabe, P. M. Beaujuge, Homo‐tandem polymer solar cells with voc >1.8 v for efficient pv‐driven water splitting, Advanced Materials, 2016, 28, 3366-3373. (Selected for back cover)–IF: 30.85.
- Ma, M.A. Abdulhamid, I. Pinnau, Design and synthesis of polyimides based on carbocyclic pseudo-Troger’s base-derived dianhydrides for membrane gas separation applications, Macromolecules, 2017, 50, 5850-5857–IF: 5.98.
- Ma, M.A. Abdulhamid, X. Miao, I. Pinnau, Facile synthesis of a hydroxyl-functionalized Tröger’s base diamine: A new building block for high-performance polyimide gas separation membranes, Macromolecules, 2017, 50, 9569-9576–IF: 5.98
- Topuz, M.A. Abdulhamid, S.P. Nunes, G. Szekely, Hierarchically porous electrospun nanofibrous mats produced from intrinsically microporous fluorinated polyimide for the removal of oils and non-polar solvents, Environmental Science: Nano, 2020, 7, 1365. (selected for front cover)– IF: 7.86.
- Cseri, F. Topuz, M.A. Abdulhamid, A. Alammar, P.M. Budd, G. Szekely, Electrospun adsorptive nanofibrous membranes from ion exchange polymers to snare textile dyes from wastewater, Advanced Materials Technologies, 2021, 6, 2000955 – IF: 7.85.
- Topuz, M.A. Abdulhamid, T. Holtz, G. Szekely, Nanofiber engineering of microporous polyimides through electrospinning: Influence of electrospinning parameters and salt addition, Materials & Design, 2021, 198, 109280– IF: 7.99.
- Topuz, M.A. Abdulhamid, R. Hardian, T. Holtzl, G. Szekely, Nanofibrous membranes comprising intrinsically microporous polyimides with embedded metal–organic frameworks for capturing volatile organic compounds, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2022, 424, 127347 – IF: 10.6.
- H. Yang, L. Gutiérrez-Arzaluz, P. Maity, M.A. Abdulhamid, J. Yin, Y. Zhou,, C. Chen, Y. Han, G. Szekely, O.M. baker, O. F. Mohammed, Air-resistant lead halide perovskite nanocrystals embedded into polyimide of intrinsic microporosity, Energy Material Advances, 2021
- Pinnau, B.S. Ghanem, M.A. Abdulhamid, Polyimide, dianhydride monomers, and polymers, methods of making and uses thereof. US Patent 11,001,672 .
- A. Abdulhamid, X. Ma, I. Pinnau, Pseudo tröger’s base amines and microporous polymers derived from pseudo tröger’s base amines. US20200165189A1.
- Ma, M.A. Abdulhamid, I. Pinnau, Pseudo tröger’s base-derived dianhydrides and polyimides derived from pseudo tröger’s base-derived dianhydrides. US Patent 20200199141A1.
- M. A. Abdulhamid, G. Szekely, Hybrid polyether ether ketone polymers. WO2021152481A1
Awards & Honors
- KAUST Ph.D. scholarship, 2014-2019
- National Council for Scientific Research (CNRS) scholarship (Lebanon & France), 2013
- Irshad and Islah scholarship, 2011-2012
- Rafik Hariri Association scholarship, 2009-2011