Dr. Korhan Ayranci
Visiting Assistant Professor, Geosciences Department
Dr. Ayranci completed his B.S. and M.S. degrees at the Geological Engineering Dept., Akdeniz University, Turkey. He obtained his Ph.D. degree from the Earth Science Department, Simon Fraser University, Canada. Following his Ph.D. he join the research group of Dr. Nick Harris at the University of Alberta, Canada, as a Post-doctoral fellow and later became a Research Associate at the same department. He focuses on sedimentology, sequence stratigraphy, and forward stratigraphic modelling of unconventional reservoirs.
- Ph.D., Sedimentology and Stratigraphy / Earth Sciences Department, Simon Fraser University, Canada (2009-2014)
- M.S., Sedimentology / Geological Engineering Department, Akdeniz University, Turkey (2006-2009)
- B.S. (honors), Geological Engineering Department, Akdeniz University, Turkey (2002-2006)
- Sedimentological and ichnological characterization of deep- and shallow-water deltaic settings
- Mudstone depositional environments
- High-resolution sequence stratigraphic applications in unconventional reservoirs
- Applications of forward stratigraphic modelling in unconventional reservoirs and deltaic settings
- Ayranci, , Harris, N. and Dong, T. 2018. High resolution sequence stratigraphic reconstruction of mud-dominated systems below storm wave base; a case study from the Middle to Upper Devonian Horn River Group, British Columbia, Canada. Sedimentary Geology, 10.1016/j.sedgeo.2018.06.009.
- Ayranci, , Harris, N. and Dong, T. 2018. Sedimentological and ichnological characterization of the Middle to Upper Devonian Horn River Group, British Columbia, Canada: Insights into mudstone depositional conditions and processes below storm wave base. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 88: 1-23.
- Ayranci, , and S. E. Dashtgard, 2016. Asymmetrical deltas below wave base: Insights from the Fraser River Delta, Canada: Sedimentology, v. 63, p. 761-779.
- Dong, , Harris, N.B., Ayranci, K., Twemlow, C.E. and Nassichuk, B.R. 2015. Porosity characteristics of the Devonian Horn River shale, Canada: Insights from lithofacies classification and shale composition. International Journal of Coal Geology, 141–142, 74-90.
- Ayranci, , S. E. Dashtgard, and J. A. MacEachern, 2014. A quantitative assessment of the neoichnology and biology of a delta front and prodelta, and implications for delta ichnology: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 409.
- Ayranci, K., Lintern, D.G., Hill, P.R. and Dashtgard, S.E., 2012. Tide-supported gravity flows on the upper delta front, Fraser River delta, Canada. Marine Geology, 326–328(0): 166-170.
Awards & Honors
- President’s PhD Scholarship, Simon Fraser University (2013).
- Best Poster Award, the Third International Congress on Ichnology (Ichnia 2012).
- CSPG University Student Event Grant (2012).
- Travel Grant, International Ichnological Association (IIA, 2012).
- Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University (2012, 2011).
- Graduate Entrance Scholarship, Simon Fraser University (2009).
- Second position in intern student report competition, Turkey (2004).