Dr. John D. Humphrey
Chairman / Associate Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr. John D. Humphrey is Associate Professor and Chairman of the Department of Geosciences at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. His appointment is in the College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences (CPG). He has a B.S. in Geology from the University of Vermont, and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from Brown University in Geological Sciences. He served on the faculty of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Dallas from 1986 to 1991. Beginning in 1991, Dr. Humphrey was an Associate Professor of Geology and Geological Engineering at Colorado School of Mines. He served as Department Head from 2006 to 2013. He joined CPG-KFUPM in early 2017. He teaches courses in physical geology, field geology, carbonate sedimentology, and carbonate diagenesis. His areas of specialization include carbonate diagenesis and geochemistry, carbonate sedimentology and stratigraphy, carbonate reservoir characterization, unconventional carbonate reservoirs, stable isotope geochemistry, and paleoclimatology. His current research focuses on all aspects of carbonate mudrocks in unconventional petroleum systems, including Mesozoic source rocks of Saudi Arabia.
- Ph.D., Geology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 1987.
- M.Sc., Geology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 1985.
- B.S. (cum laude), Geology, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA, 1982.
- Characterization of carbonate diagenesis, dolomitization, water-rock interaction, and carbonate geochemistry.
- Unconventional resource petroleum systems.
- Applications of carbonate diagenesis to petroleum reservoir characterization.
- Sedimentology and stratigraphy of carbonate sediments and rocks.
- Applications of stable isotopes to diagenetic, environmental, hydrologic, and paleoclimatic problems.
- Synergism between Quaternary sea-level history and carbonate diagenesis.
- Ferring, R., Oms, O., Nomade, S., Humphrey, J.D., Tappen, M., Coil, R., Shelia, R., Crislip, P., Chagelishvili, R., Kiladze, G., Gillou, H., and Lordkipanidze, D. 2022, Early Pleistocene stratigraphy, sedimentary environments, and formation contexts at Dmanisi in the Georgian Caucasus; Journal of Human Evolution, v. 172, 103254, 15 pp.
- Hussain, M., Amao, A., Al-Ramadan, K., Babalola, L., and Humphrey, J.D., 2022, Unconventional reservoir characterization using geochemical signatures: Examples from Paleozoic formations, Saudi Arabia; Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 143, 105770, 11 pp.
- Chan, S.A., Balc, R., Humphrey, J.D., Amao, A., Kaminski, M.A., Alzayer, Y, and Duque, F., 2022, Changes in paleoenvironmental conditions during the Late Jurassic of the western Neo-Tethys: Calcareous nannofossils and geochemistry; Marine Micropaleontology, v. 173, 102116, 18 pp.
- Abdlmutalib, A.J., Ayranci, K., Yassin, M.A., Hussaini, S.R., Abdullatif, O., and Humphrey, J.D., 2022, Impact of sedimentary fabrics on small-scale permeability variations within fine-grained sediments Early Silurian Qusaiba Member, northern Saudi Arabia; Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 139, 1056078, 19 pp.
- Hassan, A.M., Chan, S.A., Mahmoud, M., Aljawad, M., Humphrey, J.D., and Abdulraheem, A., 2022, Artificial intelligence-based model of mineralogical brittleness index based on rock elemental compositions; Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, v. 47, p. 11745-11761.
- Chan, S.A., Hassan, A.M., Usman, M., Humphrey, J.D., Amao, A., Argadestya, I., Alzayer, Y, and Duque, F., 2022, Total organic carbon (TOC) quantification using artificial neural networks: Improved prediction by leveraging XRF data; Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, v. 208, 109302, 17 pp.
- Radwan, O.A., Humphrey, J.D., Hakeem, A.S., and Zeama, M., 2021, Evaluating properties of Arabian desert sands for use in solar thermal technologies; Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, v. 231, 111335, 11 pp.
- Radwan, O.A., Humphrey, J.D., and Al-Ramadan, K., 2021, Quartz crystallinity index of Arabian sands and sandstones; Earth and Space Science, v. 8, e2020EA001582, 11 pp.
- Radwan, O.A., Dogan, A.U., Morsy, M.A., Kaminski, M.A., Humphrey, J.D., and Christiansen, E.H., 2021, One-step versus two-step dolomite calcitization (dedolomitization): Differences and inferences; Geosciences Journal, v. 25, p. 453-464.
- Abdlmutalib, A., Abdullatif, O., Alqubalee, A., Gonzalez, L., and Humphrey, J., 2021, Effects of lithofacies on pore system evolution of storm-wave silt-rich fine-grained sediments. Early Silurian Qusaiba Member (Qaliba Formation, NW Saudi Arabia; Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 128, 105048, 20 pp.
Awards & Honors
- CSM Alumni Teaching Award, 2014
- CSM Alumni Teaching Award, 1998
- Fellow, Geological Society of America, 1997
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1982-1986
- Sigma Xi, Brown University, 1984 (full member, 1986)
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Brown University, Spring 1984
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Vermont, 1982
- Charles G. Doll Award for Excellence in Geology, University of Vermont, 1982