Dr. Chekwube Clement Afagwu
Post-Doc Fellow, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Afagwu is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Petroleum Engineering. He joined KFUPM in 2019 as a Ph.D. student. Prior to this time, he worked with Chevron Nigeria Limited as a Reservoir simulation Engineer between January to December 2016, and a subsurface consulting film between 2017 and 2018. His research interests span across reservoir and production engineering with emphasis in Multiscale and Multiphysics Transport and Storage Studies in Unconventional Hydrocarbon Reservoirs.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Saudi Arabia, 2023
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, UNIBEN, Nigeria, 2016
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, UNIBEN, Nigeria, 2012
- Modeling Fluid Flow in Porous Media
- Unconventional Hydrocarbon Resources
- Adsorption and Diffusion
- Molecular Simulation
- Data Analysis and Artificial Intelligence
- C Afagwu, S Alafnan, R Weijermars, M Mahmoud (2023). Multiscale and Multiphysics production forecasts of shale gas reservoirs: New simulation scheme based on Gaussian pressure transients. Fuel 336, 127142
- C Afagwu, S Alafnan, M Mahmoud, W. Akkutlu (2022). Modeling of natural gas self-diffusion in the micro-pores of organic-rich shales coupling sorption and geomechanical effects. JNGSE, 104757
- R Weijermars, C Afagwu (2022). Hydraulic diffusivity estimations for US shale gas reservoirs with Gaussian method: Implications for pore-scale diffusion processes in underground repositories. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 104682
- C Afagwu, M Mahmoud, S Alafnan, A Alqubalee, A ElHusseiny, S Patil (2022). Pore Volume Characteristics of Clay-Rich Shale: Critical Insight into the Role of Clay Types, Aluminum and Silicon Concentration. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 1-17.
- C Afagwu, S Al-Afnan, S Patil, J Aljaberi, MA Mahmoud, J Li (2021). The impact of pore structure and adsorption behavior on kerogen tortuosity. Fuel 303, 121261.
- C Afagwu, S Alafnan, MA Mahmoud, S Patil (2021). Permeability model for shale and ultra-tight gas formations: Critical insights into the impact of dynamic adsorption. Energy Reports 7, 3302-3316.
- J Aljaberi, S Alafnan, G Glatz, AS Sultan, C Afagwu (2021). The impact of kerogen tortuosity on shale permeability. SPE Journal 26 (02), 765-779.
- C Afagwu, I Abubakar, S Kalam, SF Al-Afnan, AA Awotunde (2020). Pressure-transient analysis in shale gas reservoirs: A review. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 78, 103319.
- C Afagwu, MA Mahmoud, S Alafnan, S Patil (2022). Multiscale storage and transport modeling in unconventional shale gas: A review. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 208, 109518
Awards & Honors
- 2022 SPE International Presidential Award Winner (recognizes Top 5% Student Chapter)
- 2022 SPE MENA Region Petrobowl First Runner Up
- 2021 SPE MENA Region Petrobowl First Place
- 2020 SPE International Petrobowl Elite Stage