Dr. Bassam S. Tawabini
Associate Professor, Geosciences Department
Dr. Bassam has been an associate professor at Geosciences Department at CPG, KFUPM since 2007 in addition to his incumbency as an Acting Director, Environment and Sustainability Section, Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Dept. KFUPM since 2014. From 1987 till 2005 he had assumed the role of Senior Research Engineer, Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM. Between 2005 – 07 he was appointed as Manager of Central Analytical Laboratory (CAL), Center for Environment and Water (CEW), Research Institute, KFUPM.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Water Resources & Environmental Engineering), KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
- High Diploma, “Sustainable Development” Middle East University at Boston College, Boston, USA, 2001.
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 1987.
- B.Sc., (Hons.), Civil Engineering. KFUPM, KSA, 1984.
- Investigating the fate of pollutants in the water, wastewater, marine, air, and soil
- Assessment, monitoring, and treatment of water, soils, and air contaminated with hazardous pollutants.
- Developing innovative treatment technologies for industrial wastewater using electrochemical –based treatment technologies.
- Developing advanced oxidation and photocatalytic technologies for the ex-situ and in-situ remediation of groundwater contaminated with trace metals and hydrocarbons using the combination of UV, H2O2, TiO2, Cl2, and O3.
- Developing novel nano-based synthetic adsorbents (i.e. Graphene, CNTs, CNFs, TiO2…etc.) and natural adsorbents (i.e. fly ash, sewage sludge) for the removal of pollutants from the environment.
- Developing advanced technologies for remediation of contaminated sites with hydrocarbons and trace metals using bio-treatment and phytoremediation technologies
- Developing novel for the removal of trace metals and hydrocarbons from contaminated environment.
- Assessing the fate of the Disinfection By-products (DBPs) formation using chlorine (Cl2), ozone (O3), and chlorine dioxide (ClO2).
- Assessing the spatial distribution of air pollutants (NOx, SOx, PMs, VOCs…etc.) and soil pollutants (heavy/trace metals) in the Arabian Gulf region.
- Developing best practices and methods for the management of municipal, industrial and hazardous wastes.
- Assessing the sustainable utilization of natural resources (i.e. water, soil, energy, minerals, and biota)
- Bassam S. Tawabini, Ole J. Nielsen and Theis I. Sølling. Theoretical study of hydroxyl radical (OH·) induced decomposition of tert-butyl methyl ether (MTBE). Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts – EM-ART-12-2019-000588 (ISI, Q2, IF = 3.238).
- S. Tawabin, K. V. Plakas and A. J. Karabelas. A pilot study of BTEX removal from highly saline waters by an advanced electrochemical process. Journal of Water Process Engineering 37 (2020) 101472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2020.101427. (ISI, Q1, IF = 3.47).
- Tajudeen A. Oyehan, Fatai A. Olabemiwo, Bassam S. Tawabini, Tawfik A. Saleh (2020). The capacity of mesoporous fly ash grafted with ultrathin film of polydiallyldimethyl ammonium for enhanced removal of phenol from aqueous solutions. Journal of Cleaner Production. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121280. (ISI, Q1, IF = 7.05).
- Abid Khogali , Peter Birkle, Abdulaziz Al-Shaibani, Martin Keller, Bassam Tawabini and Mohammad Makkawi. Geochemical Assessment of Potential Sources for Nitrate in the Wasia Aquifer, Al Kharj Area, Central Saudi Arabia. Water 2020, 12, 1479; doi:10.3390/w12051479. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.52 ).
- Amjad Khalil; Bassam Abu Baker; Bassam Tawabini; Mazen Nazal; Jameel Al-Thaqfi (2020).. Efficiency of Thermophilic Bacteria in Wastewater Treatment. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering (AJSE), https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-020-04830-x (ISI, Q3, IF = 1.71 ).
- M. Siddiq · B. S. Tawabini · P. Soupios · D. Ntarlagiannis. Removal of arsenic from contaminated groundwater using biochar: a technical review. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-020-03116-x. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.54).
Research Profile – Google Scholar
- Citations 1033
- h-index 15
- i10-index 22
Extended Publications (+)
- A. Liadi, B. Tawabini, R. Shawabkeh, N. Jaraah, A. Shaibani and M. Makkawi. The Potentials of Sewage Sludge-Derived Activated Carbon in Treating the MTBE-contaminated Water. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2018) Oct;25(29):29397-29407. doi: 10.1007/s11356-018-2737-0. Epub 2018 Aug 20. (ISI, Q2, IF = 2.914)
- Akeem O. Bello, Bassam S. Tawabini, Amjad B. Khalil, Christopher R. Bolandand Tawfik A. Saleh. Phytoremediation of cadmium-, lead- and nickel-contaminated water by Phragmites australis in hydroponic systems. Ecological Engineering 120 (2018). Pages 126-133. September 2018. (ISI, Q2, IF= 3.4)
- Akere Taiwo Hassana, Karuppasamy Manikandanb, BassamTawabini, Chanbasha Basheera, Krishnakumar Periyadanb, Mohammed Qurban. Assessment of the organotin pollution in the coastal sediments of the Western Arabian Gulf, Saudi Arabia. Marine Pollution Bulletin journal 139 (2019) 174-180. (ISI, Q1, IF = 3.78).
- Sudibyo S.Sardi, Mohammed A.Qurban, Wenzhao Li, Krishnakumar P. Kadinjappalli, Karuppasamy Manikandana Mustafa M.Haririb, Bassam S. Al-Tawabini, Amjad B.Khalil, Hesham El-Askary. Assessment of areas environmentally sensitive to oil spills in the Western Arabian Gulf, Saudi Arabia, for planning and undertaking an effective response. Marine Pollution Bulletin (2019). DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.110588. (ISI Q1, IF = 3.782).
- Mohammed Al Otaibi, Ashraf Farahat, Bassam Tawabini, Hafidz Omar, Emad Ramadan, Abdelgadir Abuelgasim, and Ramesh P. Singh (2019). Long-Term Aerosol Trends and Variability over Central Saudi Arabia Using Optical Characteristics from Solar Village AERONET Measurements. Atmosphere 10(12):752.
- Abideen O. Salawudeen, Bassam S. Tawabini, Abdulaziz M. Al-Shaibani, Tawfik A. Saleh (2020). Poly (2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) grafted graphene oxide for cadmium removal from water with Interaction mechanisms. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management. Volume 13, May 2020, 100288.
Awards & Honors
- Award for obtaining 3 US Patents, 2019
- Best Teaching Award. College of Sciences, KFUPM. 2011.
- Nominee for the Best Research Award. Center for Environment and Water, Research Institute, KFUPM, 2007.
- Long Services Award, KFUPM. Dhahran, KSA. 1994.
- Nominee for the Best Academic Advisor for the College of Petroleum and Geosciences (2016)
- The 1st place at the 5th Saudi Water Arabia conference held between 17-19 of October 2017 in Saudi Arabia. The paper titled’ Assessment of Polyelectrolyte Coated Fly Ash for Cadmium Removal in Polluted Water”.