Dr. Arshad Raza
Assistant Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Arshad Raza joined as a faculty member at the College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences (CPG) of KFUPM in September 2023. Prior to this role, he worked for 2 years as a postdoctoral researcher at CPG, KFUPM, where his work focused on carbon mineralization, adsorption, and underground storage of gases. During his Ph.D. studies, he introduced an innovative modified Laplace Model for the estimation of residual CO2 saturation in depleted reservoirs using static reservoir data. With over a decade of experience in the field of Petroleum Engineering, he is skilled in both teaching and research. His specific research areas include carbon capture and storage, underground hydrogen production and storage, as well as reactive flow dynamics.
Google Scholar: Arshad Raza – Google Scholar
- Ph.D., in Petroleum Engineering, Curtin University, Australia, 2017
- M.S., in Petroleum Engineering, UET. Pakistan, 2012
- B.S., in Petroleum Engineering, UET. Pakistan, 2009
- Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage (CCUS)
- Fluid-Rock Interactions
- Underground Hydrogen Storage (UHS)
- Rock Fracturing
- Raza, A., Mahmoud, M., Arif, M., Alafnan, S. (2023). Underground hydrogen storage prospects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Fuel, 2023
- Raza, A., Mahmoud, M., Arif, M., Alafnan, S. (2023). Predictive power of theoretical adsorption models for gases (H2, CO2 and CH4) in overmature kerogen. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering
- Raza, A., Mahmoud, M., Murtaza, M., Arif, M., Hassan, A., Glatz, G., … & Al-Karnos, A. (2023). Experimental Investigation of Mafic Rocks for Carbon Mineralization Prospect. Energy & Fuels, 37(8), 5976-5985.
- Raza, A., Glatz, G., Alafnan, S., Mahmoud, M., & Gholami, R. (2023). Depleted shale gas formations as naturally-occurring storage compartments for hydrogen: A molecular-level assessment. Fuel, 334, 126695.
- Raza, A., Arif, M., Glatz, G., Mahmoud, M., Al Kobaisi, M., Alafnan, S., & Iglauer, S. (2022). A holistic overview of underground hydrogen storage: Influencing factors, current understanding, and outlook. Fuel, 330, 125636.
- Raza, A., Alafnan, S., Glatz, G., Arif, M., Mahmoud, M., & Rezk, M. G. (2022). Hydrogen Diffusion in Organic-Rich Porous Media: Implications for Hydrogen Geo-storage. Energy & Fuels, 36(24), 15013-15022.
- Glatz, G., Alafnan, S., Gholami, R., Raza, A., Mahmoud, M., Al-Azani, K., & Awotunde, A. (2022). Effect of kerogen maturity on the adsorption capacity of CO2 and CH4: A molecular investigation. Fuel, 327, 125188.
Extended Publications (+)
- Raoof Gholami, Arshad Raza, Aadnøy, B., Rabiei, M., & Rasouli, V. 2021. Time-Dependent compaction of deep-water reservoirs: a study on the viscous behavior of unconsolidated sandstone. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 103952, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2021.103952. Q1
- Raoof Gholami., Arshad Raza, Pål Andersen, Alejandro Escalona, Nestor Cardozo, Dora Marín, Mohammad Sarmadivaleh, 2021, Long-Term Integrity of Shaly Seals in CO2 Geo-Sequestration Sites: An Experimental Study, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Elsevier. 109, 103370, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2021.103370. Q2
- Gholami, R., Raza, A., Andersen, P., Escalona, A., Cardozo, N., Marín, D., & Sarmadivaleh, M. (2021). Long-term integrity of shaly seals in CO2 geo-sequestration sites: An experimental study. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 109, 103370.
- Gholami, R., A. Raza and S. Iglauer (2021). “Leakage risk assessment of a CO2 storage site: A review.” Earth-Science Reviews: 103849. IF 12.413
- Ismail, A., H. M. A. Rashid, R. Gholami and A. Raza (2021). “Characterization based machine learning modeling for the prediction of the rheological properties of water-based drilling mud: an experimental study on grass as an environmental friendly additive.” Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology: 1-19. IF 2.077
- Gholami, R. and A. Raza (2022). “CO2 sequestration in sandstone reservoirs: How does reactive flow alter trapping mechanisms?” Fuel 324: 124781. IF 6.609
- Bakhshian, S., A. Shariat and A. Raza (2022). “Assessment of CO2 storage potential in reservoirs with residual gas using deep learning.” Interpretation 10(3): SF37-SF46. 124781. IF 1.201
- Glatz, G., Alafnan, S., Raza, A., & Mahmoud, M. (2022). Multicomponent gas adsorption behavior of kerogen: A molecular investigation. Energy & Fuels, 36(13), 6695-6710.
- Saffou, E., Raza, A., Gholami, R., Aci, C., Donker, J. V. B., Salem, S., … & Manzi, M. S. (2022). Full‐scale simulation of a nearly depleted gas field in South Africa for carbon utilisation and storage. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology, 12(4), 486-507. IF 2.518 (2022).
- Arif, M., Wülling, W., Adila, A. S., Raza, A., Mahmoud, M., & Iglauer, S. (2022). Shale Wettability and Influencing Factors: A Statistical Investigation. Energy & Fuels, 36(20), 12651-12662. IF 4.654 (2021)
- Raza, A., & Kirmani, F. U. D. (2023). Numerical simulation of the reservoir and operational parameters to optimise steam flooding performance. International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology, 32(1), 24-47. IF, 0.82
- Yu, T.; Gholami, R.; Raza, A.; Vorland, K. A. N.; Mahmoud, M. CO2 storage in chalks: What are we afraid of? International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 2023, 123, 103832 IF 4.4 (2022)
Awards & Honors
- Best poster presentation award in 3rd Faculty of Engineering Postgraduate Research Colloquium, UNIMAS, Kuching, Malaysia, 2015.
- Presented Top Paper nominated by AAPG for 13th International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC) 23-25 March 2021 | Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- CSRI fully funded PhD Scholarship 2014-2018