Dr. Ahmed Abdulhamid Ahmed Mahmoud
Assistant Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Mahmoud is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Petroleum Engineering at KFUPM since September 2023. He was a Post-Doctoral researcher in the Department since September 2021, has an impressive academic and professional background. He previously worked as a Researcher in the Petroleum Engineering department from 2016 to 2020, during which he completed his Ph.D. Dr. Mahmoud has been an integral part of the Drilling Fluid and Oil-Well Cementing Research Team at the Department of Petroleum Engineering since 2016.
Before joining KFUPM, he contributed to the academic community by serving as a faculty member in the Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering Department at the University of Khartoum from 2012 to 2015. In addition, Dr. Mahmoud shared his expertise as a part-time instructor at Estidama Training Centre, Sudan, from 2011 to 2013. Furthermore, in 2015, he served as a part-time instructor for the Petroleum Training Centre (PTC) in Sudan. During this period, he played a significant role in a team dedicated to the preparation, training of trainers, and conducting an in-depth qualitative evaluation of a 10-day advanced oil production optimization course.
Dr. Mahmoud’s contributions to the field are evident through his numerous publications in refereed journals and conferences. Furthermore, he currently serves as a peer-reviewer for several Q1 journals, underscoring his commitment to advancing the field of petroleum engineering. He has also recently achieved recognition as one of the top 2% scientists worldwide.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=q6kdJV0AAAAJ&hl=en
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2020
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2015
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 2011
- Oil-Well Cementing
- Application of Artificial Intelligence in Petroleum engineering
- Wellbore Clean-up
- Mahmoud, A.A., Gamal, H. & Elkatatny, S. 2023. Evaluation of the wellbore drillability while horizontally drilling sandstone formations using combined regression analysis and machine learning models. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-023-01635-0.
- Ali, A., Mahmoud, A.A., Al Ramadan, M., Elkatatny, S., 2023. The Effect of Olive Waste on the Rheological Properties, Thickening Time, Permeability, and Strength of Oil Well Cement. ACS Omega 8, 33, 30139–30144. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.3c02621.
- Al-Malki, M., Mahmoud, A.A.*, Elkatatny, S. 2023. Performance of the Hole Cleaning Factor in Predicting the Hole Cleaning Conditions in Vertical and Deviated Wells: Real Case Studies. Arab Journal of Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-023-08042-x.
- Al-AbdulJabbar, A., Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S., and Abughaban, M., 2022. Artificial neural networks-based correlation for evaluating the rate of penetration in a vertical carbonate formation for an entire oil field. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 208, Part D; 109693. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.109693.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., Al-Majed, A., and Al Ramadan, M., 2022. The Use of Graphite to Improve the Stability of Saudi Class G Oil-Well Cement against the Carbonation Process. ACS Omega 7 (7), 5764-5773. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.1c05686.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S., Al-Abduljabbar, A., 2021. Application of Machine Learning Models for Real-Time Prediction of the Formation Lithology and Tops from the Drilling Parameters. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 203, 108574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.108574.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. Improved durability of Saudi Class G oil-well cement sheath in CO2 rich environments using olive waste. Construction and Building Materials 262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120623.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. Improving Class G Cement Carbonation Resistance for Applications of Geologic Carbon Sequestration Using Synthetic Polypropylene Fiber. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 76, 103184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2020.103184.
Extended Publications (+)
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elzenary, M., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. New Hybrid Hole Cleaning Model for Vertical and Deviated Wells. Journal of Energy Resources Technology 142(3), 034501. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4045169.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S., and Al-Shehri, D., 2020. Application of Machine Learning in Evaluation of the Static Young’s Modulus for Sandstone Formations. Sustainability 12(5). https://doi.org/10.3390/su12051880.
- Siddig, O., Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. A review of different approaches for water-based drilling fluid filter cake removal. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 192, 107346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107346.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2019. Mitigating CO2 Reaction with Hydrated Oil Well Cement under Geologic Carbon Sequestration Using Nanoclay Particles. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 68, 102902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2019.102902.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Al-Hashim, H., 2019. Evaluating the integrity of clayey sandstone rocks flooded with high pH EDTA chelating agent solutions. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 177, 614-623. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.02.074.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., Chen, W., and Abdulraheem, A., 2019. Estimation of Oil Recovery Factor for Water Drive Sandy Reservoirs through Applications of Artificial Intelligence. Energies 12(19), 3671. https://doi.org/10.3390/en12193671.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Al-Hashim, H., 2018. Insight into the mechanism for oil recovery using EDTA chelating agent solutions from clayey sandstone rocks. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 161, 625-635. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2017.11.046.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S., Mahmoud, M., Abouelresh, M., Abdulraheem, A., Ali, A., 2017. Determination of the total organic carbon (TOC) based on conventional well logs using artificial neural network. International Journal of Coal Geology 179, 72–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2017.05.012.
Awards & Honors
- Second Place, Middle East and North Africa & South Asia and the Pacific SPE Regional Students Paper Contest, PhD Division, Online, 2021.
- Best Student’s Project, Endogenous 2020, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, 2020.
- First Place, College of Petroleum and Geosciences Club Hackathon, Khobar, Saudi Arabia, November 2019.
- First Place, Middle East and North Africa SPE Regional Students Paper Contest, PhD Division, Manama, Bahrain, 2019.
- Third Place, SPWLA International Paper Contest, PhD Division, Texas, USA, 2019.
- First Place, SPWLA Regional Paper Contest, PhD Division, Khobar, Saudi Arabia, 2019.
- Schlumberger prize for the outstanding academic performance in the fifth year at petroleum engineering department, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 2011.