Dr. Ahmed Abdulhamid Ahmed Mahmoud
Post-Doc Researcher, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Mahmoud is a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Petroleum Engineering at KFUPM. He worked as a Researcher in Petroleum Engineering department from 2016-2020 during which he received his Ph.D. He joined the Drilling Fluid and Oil-Well Cementing Research Team at Department of Petroleum Engineering since 2016. He served on the faculty of Engineering at the University of Khartoum from 2012 to 2015. Dr. Mahmoud worked as a part-time instructor in Estidama Training Centre, Sudan, from 2011 to 2013. And a part-time instructor for Petroleum Training Centre (PTC), Sudan, in 2015, during that time he worked in a research team carrying out preparation, training of trainers, and in-depth qualitative evaluation of the 10 days advanced oil production optimization course. Dr. Mahmoud has numerous publications in refereed journals and conferences. He is currently a peer-reviewer for several Q1 journals.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=q6kdJV0AAAAJ&hl=en
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2020
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2015
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 2011
- Oil-Well Cementing
- Application of Artificial Intelligence in Petroleum engineering
- Wellbore Clean-up
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S., Al-Abduljabbar, A., 2021. Application of Machine Learning Models for Real-Time Prediction of the Formation Lithology and Tops from the Drilling Parameters. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 203, 108574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.108574.
- Siddig, O., Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S.M., Soupios, P., 2021. Utilization of Artificial Neural Network in Predicting the Total Organic Carbon in Devonian Shale Using the Conventional Well Logs and the Spectral Gamma-Ray. Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience 2021, 2486046. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/2486046.
- Elzain, H.E., Chung, S.Y., Senapathi, V. Sekar, S., Park, N., Mahmoud, A.A., 2021. Modeling of aquifer vulnerability index using deep learning neural networks coupling with optimization algorithms. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-021-14522-0.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. Improved durability of Saudi Class G oil-well cement sheath in CO2 rich environments using olive waste. Construction and Building Materials 262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120623.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. Improving Class G Cement Carbonation Resistance for Applications of Geologic Carbon Sequestration Using Synthetic Polypropylene Fiber. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 76, 103184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2020.103184.
Extended Publications (+)
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elzenary, M., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. New Hybrid Hole Cleaning Model for Vertical and Deviated Wells. Journal of Energy Resources Technology 142(3), 034501. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4045169.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S., and Al-Shehri, D., 2020. Application of Machine Learning in Evaluation of the Static Young’s Modulus for Sandstone Formations. Sustainability 12(5). https://doi.org/10.3390/su12051880.
- Siddig, O., Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2020. A review of different approaches for water-based drilling fluid filter cake removal. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 192, 107346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107346.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., 2019. Mitigating CO2 Reaction with Hydrated Oil Well Cement under Geologic Carbon Sequestration Using Nanoclay Particles. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 68, 102902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2019.102902.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Al-Hashim, H., 2019. Evaluating the integrity of clayey sandstone rocks flooded with high pH EDTA chelating agent solutions. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 177, 614-623. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.02.074.
- Mahmoud, A.A., and Elkatatny, S., Chen, W., and Abdulraheem, A., 2019. Estimation of Oil Recovery Factor for Water Drive Sandy Reservoirs through Applications of Artificial Intelligence. Energies 12(19), 3671. https://doi.org/10.3390/en12193671.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Al-Hashim, H., 2018. Insight into the mechanism for oil recovery using EDTA chelating agent solutions from clayey sandstone rocks. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 161, 625-635. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2017.11.046.
- Mahmoud, A.A., Elkatatny, S., Mahmoud, M., Abouelresh, M., Abdulraheem, A., Ali, A., 2017. Determination of the total organic carbon (TOC) based on conventional well logs using artificial neural network. International Journal of Coal Geology 179, 72–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2017.05.012.
Awards & Honors
- Second Place, Middle East and North Africa & South Asia and the Pacific SPE Regional Students Paper Contest, PhD Division, Online, 2021.
- Best Student’s Project, Endogenous 2020, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, 2020.
- First Place, College of Petroleum and Geosciences Club Hackathon, Al-Khober, Saudi Arabia, November 2019.
- First Place, Middle East and North Africa SPE Regional Students Paper Contest, PhD Division, Manama, Bahrain, 2019.
- Third Place, SPWLA International Paper Contest, PhD Division, Texas, USA, 2019.
- First Place, SPWLA Regional Paper Contest, PhD Division, Al-Khober, Saudi Arabia, 2019.
- Schlumberger prize for the outstanding academic performance in the fifth year at petroleum engineering department, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 2011