Dr. Abdulrauf Adebayo
Research Engineer II, CIPR
Dr. Adebayo joined the Centre for integrative petroleum research (CIPR) in 2015. Afterwards, he built and coordinates the advanced core analysis and petrophysics labs, dedicated to experimental petrophysics, rock properties, rock-fluid interaction, fluid flow in porous media, gas storage, and complex fluid (foam, polymers and emulsion) flow in reservoir rocks. The labs are equipped with advanced facilities such as coreflooding (with X-ray ISSM), coreflooding (with electrical resistivity ISSM), nuclear magnetic resonance (static and dynamic NMR), magnetic resonance and imaging (static and dynamic MRI), high pressure high temperature electrical resistivity and capillary pressure systems, gas sorption isotherm, and other benchtop devices. He also recruited and mentored several young lab scientists and engineers. Dr Adebayo has been a member in several externally funded projects carried out by the Research Institute, the Centre for integrative petroleum research at KFUPM, KACST, and Saudi Aramco. He has worked on geological CO2 sequestration, CO2-EOR, geo-mechanical and petrophysical properties of Saudi reservoir rocks.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 2014.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 2007.
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, 2004
- Experimental petrophysics
- Special core analysis (SCAL)
- CO2 & Hydrogen injection and storage
- Complex fluid injection (foam, emulsion and polymer)
- Near wellbore formation damage (drilling fluid induced damage) and mud cake characterization
- Khaled Z. Abdelgawad, Abdulrauf R. Adebayo*, Abubakar Isah, Nasiru S. Muhammed, A literature review of strength and stability of foam and their relationship with the absolute permeability of porous media, JPSE, Volume 211 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2022.110195.
- Ming Li, Vincent W.S. Lim, Saif ZS. Al Ghafri, Nicholas Ling, Abdulrauf R. Adebayo, Eric F. May, Michael L. Johns. Minimum miscibility pressure of CO2 and oil evaluated using MRI and NMR measurements, JPSE, Volume 214, (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2022.110515.
- Karem Al-Garadi, Ammar El-Husseiny, Mahmoud Elsayed, Paul Connolly, Mohamed Mahmoud, Michael Johns, Abdulrauf Adebayo, A rock core wettability index using NMR T2 measurements, JPSE, Volume 208, Part A, (2022),109386, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.109386.
- Adebayo, A.R*. A Graphical Interpretation Technique to Evaluate Strength and Stability of Foam in Porous Media Based on Mobile-Trapped Foam Ratio. Transp Porous Med 139, 327–355 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11242-021-01668-1.
- R Adebayo*. Foam Flow in Different Pore Systems—Part 1: The Roles of Pore Attributes and Their Variation on Trapping and Apparent Viscosity of Foam. SPE Journal 26 (06), 3908-3925. (2021). https://doi.org/10.2118/206719-PA.
Extended Publications (+)
- R Adebayo*. Foam Flow in Different Pore Systems—Part 2: The Roles of Pore Attributes on the Limiting Capillary Pressure, Trapping Coefficient, and Relative Permeability of Foamed Gas. SPE Journal 26 (06), 3926-3948. (2021). https://doi.org/10.2118/205523-PA.
- Abubakar Isah, Abdulrauf R. Adebayo*, Mohamed Mahmoud, Lamidi O. Babalola, Ammar El-Husseiny, Drainage mechanisms in gas reservoirs with bimodal pores – A core and pore scale study, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Volume 86 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2020.103652.
- Lateef Owolabi Lawal, Abdulrauf R. Adebayo*, Mohamed Mahmoud, Ben Mansour Dia, Abdullah S. Sultan, A novel NMR surface relaxivity measurements on rock cuttings for conventional and unconventional reservoirs. Int J Coal Geol. 231. 103605.(2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2020.103605.
- Hany Gamal, Vagif Suleymanov, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Abdulrauf Adebayo, Badr Bageri. The impact of weighting materials on carbonate pore system and rock characteristics. The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, (2021). https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.24092.
- Adebayo, A.R., Bageri, B.S. A simple NMR methodology for evaluating filter cake properties and drilling fluid-induced formation damage. J Petrol Explor Prod Technol 10, 1643–1655 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-019-00786-3.
- Badr S. Bageri, Abdulrauf Rasheed Adebayo, Jaber Al Jaberi, Shirish Patil, Effect of perlite particles on the filtration properties of high-density barite weighted water-based drilling fluid, Powder Technology, Volume 360 (2020), 1157-1166, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2019.11.030.
- Abdulrauf R. Adebayo, Mohamed E. Kandil, Taha M. Okasha, Modiu L. Sanni, Measurements of electrical resistivity, NMR pore size and distribution, and x-ray CT-scan for performance evaluation of CO2 injection in carbonate rocks: A pilot study, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 63. 1-11, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2017.04.016.
- Adebayo, A.R*.; Babalola, L.; Hussaini, S.R.; Alqubalee, A.; Babu, R.S. Insight into the Pore Characteristics of a Saudi Arabian Tight Gas Sand Reservoir. Energies, 12(22), 4302 (2019). https://doi.org/10.3390/en12224302.
- Sivabalan Sakthivel, Abdulrauf Rasheed Adebayo, Mazen Yousef Kanj (2019). Experimental Evaluation of Carbon Dots Stabilized Foam for Enhanced Oil Recovery. Energy & Fuels. 33 (10), 9629–9643 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b02235.
- Viability of foam to enhance capillary trapping of CO2 in saline aquifers—An experimental investigation, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Volume 78, (2018), 117-124,
- Adebayo, A. R., Al-Yousef, H. Y., and Mahmoud, M. (2015). “An Experimental Investigation of the Use of Combined Resistivity and Temperature Logs for Scale Monitoring in Carbonate Formations During CO2 Sequestration.” ASME. J. Energy Resour. Technol. (2015); 137(3): 032202. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4028772.
Awards & Honors
- Internship award in Schlumberger drilling and measurements, Port-Harcourt, Nigeria, 2001
- Best graduating undergraduate student at Petroleum engineering department, 2004
- King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals scholarship award, 2010 to 2014.