Dr. Abdullah Sultan
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Sultan is an Associate Professor in the Department of Petroleum Engineering. His research group focuses on complex and reactive fluids to address problems in the oil and gas industry with a focus on enhanced oil/gas recovery, drilling fluids, well stimulation, gel, emulsions, and flow assurance. He established the Complex and Reactive Fluids (CRF) Lab at KFUPM. Dr. Sultan has numerous publications in refereed journals and conferences. He served as Director for the Center of Petroleum & Minerals, Research Institute at KFUPM (2010 – 2015), and Chairman for the Department of Petroleum Engineering (2012 – 2017).
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2009.
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA. 2004.
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, KFUPM, KSA, 2002.
Complex and Reactive Fluids for oil and gas applications.
- Abdulmajeeb T. Onawole, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Safwat Abdel-Azeim, Mohamed Mahmoud, Mohammed A. Saad. (2019). Molecular and Electronic Structure Elucidation of Fe2+/Fe3+ complexed Chelators used in iron sulfides Scale removal in oil and gas wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 9999. DOI: 1002/cjce.23463
- Mohammad H. Alqam, Sidqi A. Abu-Khamsin, Abdullah S. Sultan, Taha M. Okasha, and Hasan O. Yildiz. (2019). Effect of Rock Mineralogy and Oil Composition on Wettability Alteration and Interfacial Tension by Brine and Carbonated Water. Energy Fuels, 2019, 33 (3), pp 1983–1989. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b04143.
- Abdullah Sultan. (2018). Stability of PAM/PEI emulsified gels under HTHS conditions for water shut-off treatment. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production (accepted). DOI: 1007/s13202-018-0597-2.
- Lionel T. Fogang, Abdullah S. Sultan and Muhammad S. Kamal. (2018). Understanding viscosity reduction of a long-tail sulfobetaine viscoelastic surfactant by organic compounds. RSC Advances, Vol 8, pp 4455-4463. DOI: 1039/C7RA12538K.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan*, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Gelation of Emulsified Polyacrylamide/Polyethylenimine under High-Temperature, High-Salinity Conditions: Rheological Investigation. Eng. Chem. Res., 2018, 57(36), pp 12278–12287. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.8b02571.
- Abdelhalim I.A. Mohamed, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, Abdullah S. Sultan, Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2018). Use of organoclay as a stabilizer for water-in-oil emulsions under high-temperature high-salinity conditions. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 160 pp: 302-312. DOI: 1016/j.petrol.2017.10.077.
- Muhammad Shahzad Kamal, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Mohamed Mahmoud, Abdullah S. Sultan, and Mohammed A.S. Saad. (2018). Oilfield scale formation and chemical removal: A review. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol: 171 pp: 127-139. DOI:1016/j.petrol.2018.07.037. ISI/Scopus:
- A. Adewunmi, S. Ismail, and A. S. Sultan. (2018). Crosslinked Polyacrylamide Composite Hydrogels Impregnated with Fly Ash: Synthesis, Characterization and Their Application as Fractures Sealant for High Water Producing Zones in Oil and Gas Wells. Journal of Polymers and Environment, Vol 26(8), pp 3294-3306. DOI: 10.1007/s10924-018-1204-9. ISI/Scopus: Impact Factor: 1.971.
- Mohammed Eliebid, Mohamed Mahmoud, Ibnelwaleed Hussein, Salaheldin Elkatatny, Reyad Shawabkeh, Abdullah Sultan, and Mohammed J. Al-Marri. (2018). Impact of Surfactant on the Retention of CO2and Methane in Carbonate Reservoirs. Energy Fuels, Vol 32 (4), pp 5355-5363. DOI: 1021/acs.energyfuels.8b00213.
- Ahmad A. Adewunmi, Suzylawati Ismail, Taoreed O. Owolabi, Abdullah S. Sultan, Sunday O. Olatunji, Zulkifli Ahmad. (2018). Hybrid Intelligent Modelling of the Viscoelastic Moduli of Coal Fly Ash Based Polymer Gel System for Water Shutoff Treatment in Oil and Gas Wells. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (published online). DOI:/10.1002/cjce.23436.
- Jun Li and Abdullah S. Sultan. (2017). Klinkenberg slippage effect in the permeability computations of shale gas by the pore-scale simulations. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol 48, pp 197-202. DOI: 1016/j.jngse.2016.07.041.
- Abdelhalim I. A. Mohamed, Abdullah S. Sultan*, Ibnelwaleed A. Hussein, and Ghaithan A. Al-Muntasheri. (2017). Influence of Surfactant Structure on the Stability of Water-in-Oil Emulsions under High-Temperature High-Salinity Conditions. Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 2017, Article ID 5471376, 11 pages. DOI: 1155/2017/5471376.
- Mohamed E. Kandil, Nayef M. Al-Saifi, Abdullah S. Sultan. (2016). Simulation and measurements of volumetric and phase behavior of carbon dioxide + higher alkanes at high pressure: CO2+ n-decane at temperatures (313–410) K and pressures up to 76 MPa. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 53, pp 198–206. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.045.
Awards & Honors
- University Advising Award for the College of Petroleum Engineering and Geosciences, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (2018).
- SPE Regional Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty (2018).