Dr. Korhan Ayranci
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr. Ayranci completed his B.S. and M.S. degrees at the Geological Engineering Dept., Akdeniz University, Turkey. He obtained his Ph.D. degree from the Earth Science Department, Simon Fraser University, Canada. Following his Ph.D. he joined the research group of Dr. Nick Harris at the University of Alberta, Canada, as a Post-doctoral fellow and later became a Research Associate at the same department. He focuses on sedimentology, sequence stratigraphy, and forward stratigraphic modeling of unconventional reservoirs.
- Ph.D., Sedimentology and Stratigraphy / Earth Sciences Department, Simon Fraser University, Canada (2009-2014)
- M.S., Sedimentology / Geological Engineering Department, Akdeniz University, Turkey (2006-2009)
- B.S. (honors), Geological Engineering Department, Akdeniz University, Turkey (2002-2006)
- Sedimentological and ichnological characterization of deep- and shallow-water deltaic settings
- Mudstone depositional environments
- High-resolution sequence stratigraphic applications in unconventional reservoirs
- Applications of forward stratigraphic modeling in unconventional reservoirs and deltaic settings
- Ayranci, K. and Dashtgard, S.E., 2020. Deep-Water Renewal Events; Insights into Deep Water Sediment Transport Mechanisms. Scientific Reports, 10(1): 6139.
- Ayranci, K., Harris, N. and Dong, T., 2018. Sedimentological and ichnological characterization of the Middle to Upper Devonian Horn River Group, British Columbia, Canada: Insights into mudstone depositional conditions and processes below storm wave base. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 88(1): 1-23.
- Ayranci, K., Harris, N.B. and Dong, T., 2018. High resolution sequence stratigraphic reconstruction of mud-dominated systems below storm wave base; A case study from the Middle to Upper Devonian Horn River Group, British Columbia, Canada. Sedimentary Geology, 373: 239-253.
- Dong, T., Harris, N.B., Ayranci, K., Twemlow, C.E. and Nassichuk, B.R., 2017. The impact of composition on pore throat size and permeability in high maturity shales: Middle and Upper Devonian Horn River Group, northeastern British Columbia, Canada. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 81: 220-236.
- Ayranci, K. and Dashtgard, S.E., 2016. Asymmetrical deltas below wave base: Insights from the Fraser River Delta, Canada. Sedimentology, 63(3): 761-779.
- Ayranci, K., Dashtgard, S.E. and MacEachern, J.A., 2014. A quantitative assessment of the neoichnology and biology of a delta front and prodelta, and implications for delta ichnology. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 409(0): 114-134.
- Ayranci, K., Lintern, D.G., Hill, P.R. and Dashtgard, S.E., 2012. Tide-supported gravity flows on the upper delta front, Fraser River delta, Canada. Marine Geology, 326–328(0): 166–170.
Awards & Honors
- President’s Ph.D. Scholarship, Simon Fraser University (2013).
- Best Poster Award, the Third International Congress on Ichnology (Ichnia 2012).
- CSPG University Student Event Grant (2012).
- Travel Grant, International Ichnological Association (IIA, 2012).
- Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University (2012, 2011).
- Graduate Entrance Scholarship, Simon Fraser University (2009).
- Second position in intern student report competition, Turkey (2004).
Dr. Hassan Eltom
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences
Dr. Eltom is a visiting Assistant Professor at Geosciences Department. His research focuses on carbonate sedimentology, chemostratigraphy, sequence stratigraphy, and diagenesis, the processes that control the quality of hydrocarbon reservoirs. His major area of interest is to understand pore system in carbonate reservoirs, particularly carbonate with complex large pores (cavern, vuggy, breccia, and burrow porosity). Dr. Eltom interdisciplinary research integrates geological, geophysical, petrophysical, geostatistical, and reservoir simulation data to quantitatively address questions regarding controls on flow properties of carbonate with large pores. Dr. Eltom has several publications in refereed journals and conferences. He worked with Schlumberger overseas as a geologist for four years (2006 – 2010), with KFUPM as lecturer and researcher for four years (2010 – 2014), and with Kansas Interdisciplinary Carbonates Consortium (KICC) – the University of Kansas as Post-doc for five years (2014 – 2019).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Geology, 2013 – King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Master of Science (M.S.), Geology, 2007 – King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Geology and Chemistry, 2001 – University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan
- Understanding flow properties in carbonates with complex pore systems.
- Eltom, H.A., Limitation of laboratory measurements in evaluating rock properties of bioturbated strata: A case study of the Upper Jubaila Member in Central Saudi Arabia, 20 December, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2019.105573
- Eltom, H.A., Rankey, E.C., Hasiotis, S.T., and Barati, R., 2019. Effect of bioturbation on petrophysical properties: Insights from geostatistical and flow simulation modeling. Marine and Petroleum Geology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2019.03.019
- Eltom H.A., and Hasiotis S.T., 2019. Lateral and vertical trends of preferred flow pathways associated with bioturbated carbonate: examples from Middle to Upper Jurassic strata, central Saudi Arabia. In McNeill D, Harris PM, Rankey E, Hsieh J (Editors). Carbonate Pore Systems: New Developments and Case Studies, Special Publication 112: SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology), Tulsa, Oklahoma. DOI: 10.2110/sepmsp.112.05
- Eltom, H.A., Gonzalez, L.A., Hasiotis, S.T., Rankey, E.C., and Cantrell, D.L., 2018, Paleogeographic and paleo-oceanographic influences on carbon isotope signatures: Implications for global and regional correlation, Middle-Upper Jurassic of Saudi Arabia: Sedimentary Geology, v. 364, p. 89-102.
- Eltom, H.A., Rankey, E.C., Hasiotis, S.T., Gonzalez, L.A., and Cantrell, D.L., 2017, Impact of upwelling on heterozoan, biosiliceous, and organic-rich deposits: Jurassic (Oxfordian) Hanifa Formation, Saudi Arabia: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 87, p. 1235-1258.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., and Babalola, L.O., 2017, The elemental geochemistry of Lower Triassic shallow-marine carbonates from central Saudi Arabia: Implications for redox conditions in the immediate aftermath of the latest Permian mass extinction: Journal of African Earth Sciences. v. 139, p. 283-306.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., and Babalola, L.O., 2017, Redox conditions through the Permian-Triassic transition in the upper Khuff Formation, Saudi Arabia: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 472, p. 203-215.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Babalola, L.O., Bashari, M.A., Yassin, M., Osman, M.S., and Abdulraziq, A.M., 2017, Integration of facies architecture, ooid granulometry and morphology for prediction of reservoir quality, Lower Triassic Khuff Formation, Saudi Arabia: Petroleum Geoscience, v. 23, p. 177-189.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Makkawi, M.H., and Eltoum, I.-E.A., 2017, Rare earth element geochemistry of shallow carbonate outcropping strata in Saudi Arabia: Application for depositional environments prediction: Sedimentary Geology, v. 348, p. 51-68.
- Eltom, H.A., Kubur, A.K., Abdulraziq, A.M., Babalola, L.O., Makkawi, M.H., and Abdullatif, O.M., 2017, Three-dimensional outcrop reservoir analog model: A case study of the Upper Khuff Formation oolitic carbonates, central Saudi Arabia: Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, v. 150, p. 115-127.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Babalola, L., Bashari, M., Yassin, M., Osman, M., and Abdulraziq, A., 2016, Geochemical characterization of the Permian–Triassic transition at outcrop, central Saudi Arabia: Journal of Petroleum Geology, v. 39, p. 95-113.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M.., Makkawi, M., Al-Ramadan, K., and Abdulraziq, A., 2015, Porosity evolution within high-resolution sequence stratigraphy and diagenesis framework: outcrop analog of the upper Jurassic Arab-D reservoir, Central Saudi Arabia: Arabian Journal of Geosciences, v. 8, p. 1669-1690.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Makkawi, M., and Abdulraziq, A., 2014, Characterizing and modeling the Upper Jurassic Arab-D reservoir using outcrop data from Central Saudi Arabia: GeoArabia, v. 19, p. 53-84.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Makkawi, M., and Abdulraziq, A., 2013, Microporosity in The Upper Jurassic Arab‐D carbonate reservoir, central Saudi Arabia: An outcrop analogue study: Journal of Petroleum Geology, v. 36, p. 281-297.
- Eltom, H.A., Abdullatif, O.M., Makkawi, M., and Yasin, M., 2013, Integration of spectral gamma-ray and geochemical analyses for the characterization of the upper Jurassic Arab-D carbonate reservoir: outcrop analogue approach, central Saudi Arabia: Petroleum Geoscience, v. 19, p. 399-415.
- Eltom, H.A., Makkawi, M., Abdullatif, O.M., and Alramadan, K., 2013, High-resolution facies and porosity models of the upper Jurassic Arab-D carbonate reservoir using an outcrop analogue, central Saudi Arabia: Arabian Journal of Geosciences, v. 6, p. 4323-4335
Awards & Honors
- Best graduate student (2013). Earth Science Department KFUPM
Dr. Madhar Sahib Azad
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Madhar Sahib Azad joined CPG as a visiting assistant professor in Jan 2021. Prior to that, he worked as a post-doctoral research fellow in the petroleum engineering department at the University of Alberta for a period of around 2 years. During his Ph.D., he introduced a new capillary number and an injectivity model for polymer flooding applications. Between July 2009 to June 2011, he also worked in India for a UAE based drilling company. He has been serving as a technical editor for petroleum engineering journals such as SPE journal, journal of petroleum science and engineering, energy and fuel, ACS omega, etc.
- Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada, Jan 2019.
- M.S. in Petroleum Engineering from the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, Dec 2014.
- B. Tech in Petroleum Engineering from the RGCE, Chennai, Tamil Nadu India, May 2009 (First class with distinction)
- Fundamental and applied aspects of EOR
- Applied rheology for reservoir engineering applications
- Unconventional oil recovery
- Reservoir simulation
- Pressure transient testing
- Azad, M.S and Trivedi, J.J. 2020. “Quantification of Sor reduction during viscoelastic polymer flooding using extensional capillary number” SPE Journal, 1-30, SPE 204212-PA.
- Azad,M.S and Trivedi,J.J.2020.“Extensional effects during viscoelastic polymer flooding: Understanding the unresolved challenges” SPE Journal, 25(04): 1827-1841, SPE 201112-PA.
- Azad,M.S and Trivedi,J.J.2020.“Does polymer’s viscoelasticity influence the heavy oil sweep efficiency and injectivity at 1ft/day?” SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering Journal, 23 (02): 446-462, SPE 193771-PA.
- Azad,M.S and Trivedi,J.J.2019.“Quantification of viscoelastic effects during polymer flooding: A critical review” SPE Journal, 24 (06): 2731-2757, SPE 195687-P
- Azad, M.S and Trivedi, J.J.2019.“A novel viscoelastic model for predicting the synthetic polymer’s viscoelastic behavior in porous media using direct extensional rheological measurements” Fuel, 235: 218-226