Xianmin Joe Zhou
Engineer I, CIPR
Mr. Zhou is a highly experienced enhanced oil recovery researcher who has been for long designing and supervising lab experiments and infrastructure and handling a wide spectrum of routine and sophisticated projects, advanced core analysis, core flooding lab, and PVT Lab Setups. Xianmin has conducted research in different areas such as CO2 IOR, chemical EOR and two-phase and three-phase relative permeability in porous media. He is currently working on multiple projects such as the displacement efficiency of oil recovery by Supercritical CO2 and chemical solutions injection. Before joining KFUMP in 2016, he served as a Petroleum Engineer at Reservoir Engineer Technology Team, EXPEC Advanced Research Center at Saudi Aramco (2010-16), as a Quality Control Supervisor/ Senior Special Core Analyst at Intertek Caleb Brett, Houston, TX, USA (2007-10), and as a Senior Special Core Analyst at Core Labs Inc., Houston, TX (2005-07) among other high-profile incumbencies.
Mr. Zhou is a registered patentee of a number of breakthroughs like “Core Holder for Three Piece Core Flooding Experiments”, China, 1988, “A Method of Measuring Oil-Water-Gas Relative Permeability for Oil Reservoir Samples”, China, 1989, “Plugging thief zone and fractures by in-situ and in-depth crystallization for improving water sweep efficiency of sandstone and carbonate reservoirs”, USA, 2014. “Multiple Function Core Flooding Apparatus and Experimental Methodology for Study of Secondary and Tertiary Oil recovery,” In processing, U.S. Application No. 15/452,949 filed on March 8, 2017.
- MS, Natural Gas & Petroleum Engineering, University of Wyoming, China, 1996.
- BS, Petroleum Engineering, Daqing Petroleum Institute, China, 1976
- Oil Recovery by Water, Chemical Solutions, and Supercritical CO2 Injection.
- Two-Phase and Three-Phase Relative Permeability and flow in porous media.
- Wettability of reservoir rocks.
- Fawaz M. AlOtaibi, Xianmin Zhou, Sunil L. Koka: Laboratory Evaluation of Different Modes of Supercritical CO2 Miscible Flooding for Carbonate Rocks, SPE REE, Feb. 2019.
- Xianmin Zhou, Fawaz Otaibi and Sunil Kokal, Relative Permeability Characteristics and Wetting Behavior of Supercritical CO2 Displacing Water and Remaining Oil for Carbonate Rocks at Reservoir Conditions, Energy Fuels 2019, 33, 5464-5475. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b01053
- Xianmin Zhou and Muhammad Shahzad Kamal, Experimental Study on the Relationship between Carbonate Reservoir Quality Index and Dynamic Parameters of Chemical Solutions for Oil Recovery, Energy & Fuels 2019, 33, 10, 9747-9758. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b02491
- Xiao Deng, Muhammad Shahzad Kamal, Shirish Patil, Syed Muhammad Shakil Hussain and Xianmin Zhou, A Review on Wettability Alteration in Carbonate Rocks: Wettability Modifiers, Energy Fuels 2020, 34, 1, 31-54, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b03409
- Aleidan, H. T. Kwak, H. Muller and X. Zhou: Paleo Oil Characterization and Fundamental Analysis, SPE REE, Vol. 20 No.2 May 2017, 260-268.
Awards & Honors
- Tau Beta Phi Honorary Society Award, University of Wyoming, 1995.
- Scientific and Technical Advance Award, China National Petroleum Corporation Award 1990.
- Scientific and Technical Advance Award, Daqing Petroleum Administrative Bureau, 1986, 1989 and 1990.
- Best Paper Awards, 1989, 1990.
- Achievement Award, Saudi Aramco, KSA, 2015.