Dr. Svetoslav Georgiev
Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences
Svetoslav Georgiev received his B.Sc. in Geology and M.Sc. in igneous petrology and geochemistry from Sofia University “St Kliment Ohridski”, Bulgaria in 2001 and 2003, respectively. He then received his Ph.D. from ETH-Zurich in 2008. After a short stay at the Geological Institute of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Dr. Georgiev was employed from 2009 to 2012 as a Researcher at the Norwegian Geological Survey in Trondheim while working in Colorado, USA. From 2012 to 2019, he continued being part of the AIRIE group, Colorado State University, USA, working first as a Research Associate, and then as a Research Scientist. Since 2020, Dr. Georgiev is an Assistant Professor at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) in Dhahran, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. An active researcher with an established cooperation with both academia and industry, Dr. Georgiev is also a reviewer for many journals and several funding agencies. Since 2017, he joined the editorial board of Geological Magazine.
- Ph.D. Institute of Isotope Geology and Mineral Resources, ETH Zürich, Switzerland (2008)
- M.Sc. Department of Geology, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia, Bulgaria (2003)
- B.Sc. Department of Geology, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia, Bulgaria (2001)
- Geochronology. Development and application of methods for radiometric dating of petroleum phases, organic-rich shales, and igneous rocks, with particular emphasis on the Re-Os and U-Pb geochronometers.
- Sedimentary and petroleum geochemistry. I use trace element contents and stable and radiogenic isotope ratios of source rocks, oils, and petroleum phases to understand the genetic relations between these and provide or refine oil-oil, oil-source rock, and source rock-source rocks correlations.
- Origin and subsequent evolution of primitive arc magmas.
- Application of established and novel isotopic and trace element proxies towards reconstruction of depositional conditions of sedimentary sequence and linking these to regional and global events. Linking inorganic and organic (e.g. Rock-Eval analyses; biomarkers) data to improve the interpretation of trace metal and isotopic paleoredox proxies.
- Geochemical changes caused by key events in Earth history (e.g. P-Tr mass extinction; Jurassic oceanic anoxic events).
- Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Pedersen, J.H., Dons, C.E, Di Primio, R. (2021). Timing and origin of multiple petroleum charges within the Solveig oil field, Norwegian North Sea: a Re–Os isotopic study. AAPG Bulletin, v. 105, 1, p. 109-134. https://doi.org/10.1306/02272019219
- Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Yang, G., Hannah, J.L., Böttcher, M.E., Grice, K., Holman, A.I., Turgeon, S., Simonsen, S., Cloquet, C. (2020). Late Permian–Early Triassic environmental changes recorded by multi-isotope (Re-Os-N-Hg) data and trace metal distribution from the Hovea-3 section, Western Australia. Gondwana Research, v. 88, p. 353-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2020.07.007
- Yang, G., Zimmerman, A., Hurtig, N.C., Georgiev, S.V., Goswami, V., Hannah, J.L., Stein, H.J. (2020). Chemical procedures for rhenium extraction from geologic samples: Optimizing the anion resin bead cleanup step. Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research, v. 44, p. 231-242. https://doi.org/10.1111/ggr.12318
- Hurtig, N.C., Georgiev, S.V., Zimmerman, A., Yang, G., Goswami, V., Hannah, J.L., Stein, H.J. (2020). Re-Os geochronology for the NIST RM 8505 crude oil: the importance of analytical protocol and uncertainty. Chemical Geology, v. 539, p. 119381. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2019.119381
- Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Yang, G., Dons, C.E, Pedersen, J.H., di Primio, R. (2019). Temporal evolution of the Brynhild petroleum system, North Sea. Chemical Geology, v. 522, p. 260-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2019.05.025
- Scarlett, A.G., Holman, A.I., Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Summons, R.E., Grice, K. (2019). Multi-spectroscopic and elemental characterization of southern Australian asphaltites. Organic Geochemistry, v. 133, 77-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orggeochem.2019.04.006
- Hurtig, N., Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L. (2019). Re-Os systematics in petroleum during water-oil interaction: The effects of oil chemistry. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 247, p. 142-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2018.12.021
Extended Publications (+)
- Georgiev, S.V., Zimmerman, A., Yang, G., Goswami, V., Hurtig, N.C., Hannah, J.L., Stein, H.J. (2018). Comparison of chemical procedures for Re-isotopic measurements by N-TIMS. Chemical Geology, v. 483, p. 151-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2018.03.006
- DiMarzio, J.M., Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L. (2018). Residency of rhenium and osmium in a heavy crude oil. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 220, p. 180-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2017.09.038
- Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Xu, G., Bingen, B., Weiss, H.M. (2017) Timing, duration, and causes for Late Jurassic-Early Cretaceous anoxia in the Barents Sea, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 461, p. 151-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2016.12.035
- Markey, R., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Georgiev, S.V., Pedersen, J.H., Dons, C.E. (2017) Re-Os identification of glide faulting and precise ages for correlation from the Upper Jurassic Hekkingen Formation, southwestern Barents Sea, Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecology, v. 466, p. 209-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2016.11.032
- Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Galimberti, R., Nali, M., Yang, G., Zimmerman, A. (2016) Re-Os dating of maltenes and asphaltenes within single samples of crude oil, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 179, p. 53-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2016.01.016
- Georgiev, S.V., Horner T.J., Stein H.J., Hannah J.L., Bingen B., Rehkämper, M. (2015) Cadmium-isotopic evidence for increasing primary productivity during the Late Permian anoxic event, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 410, p. 84-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2014.11.010
- Georgiev, S.V., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Henderson, C.M., Algeo, T.J. (2015) Enhanced recycling of organic matter and Os-isotopic evidence for multiple magmatic or meteoritic inputs to the Late Permian Panthalassic Ocean, Opal Creek, Canada, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 150, p. 192-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2014.11.019
- Georgiev, S., von Quadt, A., Heinrich, C.A., Peytcheva, I., Marchev, P. (2012) Time evolution of a rifted continental arc: Integrated ID-TIMS and LA-ICPMS study of magmatic zircons from the Eastern Srednogorie, Lithos, v. 154, p. 53-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2012.06.020
- Georgiev, S., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Weiss, H.M., Bingen, B., Xu, G., Rein, E., Hatlø, V. Løseth, H., Nali, M., Piasecki, S. (2012) Chemical signals for oxidative weathering predict Re–Os isochroneity in black shales, East Greenland, Chemical Geology, v. 324-325, p. 108-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2012.01.003
- Xu, G.P., Hannah, J.L., Bingen, B., Georgiev, S., Stein, H.J. (2012). Digestion methods for trace element measurements in shales: paleoredox proxies examined. Chemical Geology, v. 324-325, p. 132-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2012.01.029
- Georgiev, S., Stein, H.J., Hannah, J.L., Bingen, B., Weiss, H.M., Piasecki, S. (2011) Hot acidic Late Permian seas stifle life in record time: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 310, p. 389-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2011.08.010
- Georgiev, S., Marchev, P., von Quadt, A., Heinrich, Ch., Peytcheva, I., Manetti, P. (2009). Origin of nepheline-normative high-K ankaramites and the evolution of Eastern Srednogorie zone, SE Europe. Journal of Petrology, v. 50 (10), p. 1899-1933. https://doi.org/10.1093/petrology/egp056
- Marchev, P., Georgiev, S., Zajacz, Z., Manetti, P., Raicheva, R., von Quadt, A. (2009). High-K ankaramitic melt inclusions and lavas in the Upper Cretaceous Eastern Srednogorie continental arc: implications for the genesis of arc shoshonites, Lithos, v. 113, p. 228-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2009.03.014
- Georgiev, S., Marchev, P. (2005). Oligocene pyroclastic rocks and petrified forest in the Nanovitsa depression, Eastern Rhodopes. Geochemistry, Mineralogy and Petrology v. 42, p. 47-65. http://www.geology.bas.bg/mineralogy/gmp_files/gmp42/georgiev.pdf
Awards & Honors
- AAPG Jules Braunstein Memorial Award, American Association of Petroleum Geologists (2016)
- Chemical Geology: Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, in recognition of the contributions made to the quality of the journal (2018)