Dr. Jun Li
Research Engineer III, CIPR
Dr. Li has been assuming the role of a research engineer III since May 2014 at the Center for Integrated Petroleum Research (CIPR). Before that, he had served as a research scientist III from Dec. 2012 to Dec. 2013 at Numerical Porous Media Center, KAUST, KSA. He independently proposed the Monte Carlo molecular simulation method (i.e., the DSBGK method) to efficiently and accurately simulate the low-speed rarefied gas flows of high Knudsen number (e.g., pore-scale shale gas flows, gas flows in MEMS/NEMS, vacuum system and Knudsen pump, membranes and nanotubes), and independently developed the Fortran MPI parallel code NanoGasSim that had been comprehensively validated and successfully applied to study real-size rarefied gas flow problems. The DSBGK method is a few orders of magnitude cheaper than other possible methods in simulating real 3D low-speed rarefied gas flows. For the study of traditional continuum flows, he proposed an upscaled lattice Boltzmann method (LBM) for Darcy flow simulations and a LBM-Large Eddy Simulation model for the turbulence study, and also independently developed the Fortran MPI parallel code GigaPores using the LBM to study the relative permeability and endpoint saturations for porous media, two-phase flows inside capillary tube, droplet dynamics, movement of contact line, etc.
- Ph.D., Fluid Mechanics, Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2009.
- M.S., Thermal Energy, and Power Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2006.
- Thermal Energy and Power Engineering, North China Electric Power University, 2004.
Monte Carlo molecular simulations of shale gas at pore-scale; LBM simulations of two-phase flows in porous media at pore-scale and turbulence; MCMC molecular simulations of phase-coexistence properties of mixtures; and Fortran MPI software developments (e.g. NanoGasSim, GigaPores).
- J Li, MT Ho, M Borg, C Cai, ZH Li, Y Zhang, “Pore-scale gas flow simulations by the DSBGK and DVM methods,” Computers & Fluids, 226: 105017, 2021.
- J Li, Multiscale and Multiphysics Flow Simulations of Using the Boltzmann Equation, Springer, 2019.
- J Li, C Cai, ZH Li, “Knudsen diffusion differs from Fickian diffusion,” Physics of Fluids, 33: 042009, 2021.
- J Li, “Efficient prediction of gas permeability by hybrid DSBGK-LBM simulations,” Fuel, 250: 154-159, 2019.
- J Li, VM Calo, “Phase coexistence simulations of fluid mixtures by the Markov Chain Monte Carlo method using single particle models,” Journal of Computational Physics, 249: 233248, 2013.
Awards & Honors
- Best Poster at the 4th TU-SNU-UT Joint Symposium, Univ. of Tokyo, March 12-13, 2010.