Dr. Jack Dvorkin
Geophysics/Petrophysics & Geomechanics, Program Leader, CIPR
1989-2017: Senior Research Scientist, Stanford University, Geophysics. Developed most of the currently used theoretical rock physics models. Developed physics-based interpretation of seismic impedance inversion data for porosity, mineralogy, and pore fluid. Rock physics of gas hydrate deposits. Theoretical models for attenuation and velocity dispersion of seismic waves. Pore pressure prediction from seismically derived attributes. Tectonophysics. Computational rock physics. Advised over 20 graduate Ph.D. and M.S students. Managed grants with NSF, DOE, US Airforce, US Army.
1998-2007: Principal Advisor, Rock Solid Images, Houston. Introduced and developed the technology of rock physics diagnostics. Introduced rock physics templates. Over 20 case studies for rock physics based characterization of reservoir and non-reservoir rocks.
2007-Present: Principal Advisor, Ingrain, Houston (now Halliburton). Computation of permeability and elastic properties of rocks from micro CT images, 3D and 2D. Six U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. (Continuum Mechanics), 1980; M.S. and B.Sc. (Continuum Mechanics), 1974, both from Moscow Lomonosov University (USSR).
- Theoretical rock physics and its links with laboratory and field experiments.
- Interpretation of seismic data for volumetric rock properties: porosity, mineralogy, fluid content.
- Effect of spatial scale on rock physics relations.
- Computational rock physics: “image and compute.”
- Kerimov, A., Mavko, G., Mukerji, T., and Dvorkin, J., 2019, Static and dynamic effective moduli of elastic-perfectly plastic granular aggregates under normal compression, Geophysics, 84, MR185-MR194.
- Dvorkin, J., and Alabbad, A., 2019, Velocity-porosity-mineralogy trends in chalk and consolidated carbonate rocks, Geophysical Journal International, 219, 662-671.
- Muqtadir, A., Al-Dughaimi, S., Kandil, M.E., Ali, A., and Dvorkin, J.P., 2019, Elastic and mechanical properties of dune sand: Experiments and models, JGR Solid Earth, 124, 7978-7992.
- Monachesi, L.B, Wollner, U., and Dvorkin, J.P., 2020, Effective pore fluid bulk modulus at patchy saturation: An analytic study, JGR Solid Earth, 125, 1-12.
- Muqtadir, A., Al-Dughaimi, S., and Dvorkin, J.P., 2020, Deformation of granular aggregates: Static and dynamic bulk moduli, JGR Solid Earth, 125, 1-12.
Awards & Honors
- Senior Scientist in Mechanics of Deformable Rigid Body, USSR, 1987.
- Keynote speaker and invited lecturer worldwide: Canada, Norway, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Italy, Australia.
- SEG Honorary Member Award, 2014.
- ENI Award, New Frontiers of Hydrocarbon – Upstream Section, for Pioneering innovations in theoretical and practical rock physics for seismic reservoir characterization, 2014.