Dr. Guenther Glatz
Assistant Professor, Petroleum Engineering Department
In February 2017, Assistant Professor Dr. Guenther Glatz debuted at CPG. Dr. Glatz brings an abundance of hands-on practical experience gained through consulting for BP’s Chief Technology Office, and for Total S.A. as a Reservoir Engineer. He has also volunteered as a Technical Editor for the SPE Journal, the Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, the Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, and the Energy & Fuels Journal.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University, Ca, USA, 2017.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University, Ca, USA, 2012.
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Mining University of Leoben, Austria, 2009.
- Dipl.-Ing. (FH) in Telematics, Carinthia University of Applied Sciences, Austria, 2004.
Current Research Project:
- Development of 2nd generation triaxial core holder for high-pressure/high-temperature (HPHT) testing of geomaterials using computed tomography (10,000 psi confining, 1000kN axial, min. of 200°C @ 3″ sample diameter, min. of 450°C @ 1.5″ sample diameter, 1ft sample length).
- Development of a HPHT in situ cell for a helical micro-CT scanner
General Research Interests:
- Visualizing and quantifying flow and transport phenomena under extreme temperature and pressure conditions in 4D.
- Triaxial, high-pressure/high-temperature, testing of material using computed tomography (CT).
- Application of image processing and machine learning methods to improve CT data quality and allow for detection of phenomena on a sub-voxel level.
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Glatz, Guenther, Alexandre Lapene, Louis M. Castanier, and Anthony R. Kovscek. “An Experimental Platform for Triaxial High-Pressure/High-Temperature Testing of Rocks Using Computed Tomography.” Review of Scientific Instruments 89, no. 4 (April 1, 2018): 045101. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5030204.
- Chavez, Rodriguez, Mario Luis, Guenther Glatz, Torsten Clemens, and Anthony Kovscek. “Near-Wellbore and Reservoir Effects in In-Situ Combustion.” SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering 20, no. 03 (August 1, 2017): 698–707. https://doi.org/10.2118/174351-PA.
- Glatz, Guenther, Louis M. Castanier, and Anthony R. Kovscek. “Visualization and Quantification of Thermally Induced Porosity Alteration of Immature Source Rock Using X-Ray Computed Tomography.” Energy & Fuels 30, no. 10 (October 20, 2016): 8141–49. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b01430.
- Wilcox, Jennifer, Panithita Rochana, Abby Kirchofer, Guenther Glatz, and Jiajun He. “Revisiting Film Theory to Consider Approaches for Enhanced Solvent-Process Design for Carbon Capture.” Energy & Environmental Science 7, no. 5 (April 17, 2014): 1769–85. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4EE00001C.
- Hasçakir, Berna, Guenther Glatz, Louis M. Castanier, and Anthony Kovscek. “In-Situ Combustion Dynamics Visualized With X-Ray Computed Tomography.” SPE Journal 16, no. 03 (September 1, 2011): 524–36. https://doi.org/10.2118/135186-PA.
Awards & Honors
- The Henry J. Ramey Jr. Fellowship Award for outstanding research and service to the department from Stanford University in 2015.
- The Frank G. Miller Fellowship Award for high academic achievements from Stanford University in 2012.
- Awarded 2nd in the M.S. division at the International Student Paper Contest at the ATCE, Denver, Colorado, 2011.
- Awarded 1st place in M.S. division at the Western Regional Student Paper Contest, Anchorage, Alaska, 2011.
- Full Marshall Plan Scholarship in 2010.
- Several gifted student awards from the Mining University of Leoben, Austria.