Dr. Guenther Glatz
Assistant Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Guenther Glatz joined the CPG in 2017 bringing an abundance of hands-on practical experience gained through consulting for BP’s Chief Technology Office, and for Total S.A. as a Reservoir Engineer. He specializes in computed tomography imaging of materials at high-pressure/high-temperature and under triaxial conditions exploiting Deep Learning techniques to improve imaging quality and resolution to delineate physical properties. Furthermore, he is interested in rapid carbon mineralization and subsurface hydrogen storage.
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University, Ca, USA, 2017.
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University, Ca, USA, 2012.
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Mining University of Leoben, Austria, 2009.
- Dipl.-Ing. (FH) in Telematics, Carinthia University of Applied Sciences, Austria, 2004.
Current Research Project:
- Development of 2nd generation triaxial core holder for high-pressure/high-temperature (HPHT) testing of geomaterials using computed tomography (10,000 psi confining, 1000kN axial, min. of 200°C @ 3″ sample diameter, min. of 450°C @ 1.5″ sample diameter, 1ft sample length).
- Development of a HPHT in situ cell for a helical micro-CT scanner
General Research Interests:
- Visualizing and quantifying flow and transport phenomena under extreme temperature and pressure conditions in 4D.
- Triaxial, high-pressure/high-temperature, testing of material using computed tomography (CT).
- Application of image processing and machine learning methods to improve CT data quality and allow for detection of phenomena on a sub-voxel level.
- Raza, Arshad, Guenther Glatz, Raoof Gholami, Mohamed Mahmoud, and Saad Alafnan. “Carbon Mineralization and Geological Storage of CO2 in Basalt: Mechanisms and Technical Challenges.” Earth-Science Reviews 229 (June 1, 2022): 104036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2022.104036.
- Alafnan, S., Awotunde, A., Glatz, G., Adjei, S., Alrumaih, I., & Gowida, A. (2021, December 1). Langmuir adsorption isotherm in unconventional resources: Applicability and limitations. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. Elsevier B.V. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.109172
- Alsamadony, K.L.; Yildirim, E.U.; Glatz, G.; Waheed, U.B.; Hanafy, S.M. Deep Learning Driven Noise Reduction for Reduced Flux Computed Tomography. Sensors 2021, 21, 1921. https://doi.org/10.3390/s21051921
- Aljaberi, J., Alafnan, S., Glatz, G., Sultan, A. S., & Afagwu, C. (2020). The Impact of Kerogen Tortuosity on Shale Permeability. SPE Journal. https://doi.org/10.2118/204469-PA
- Hassan, A., Abdalla, M., Mahmoud, M., Glatz, G., Al-Majed, A., & Al-Nakhli, A. (2020). Condensate-Banking Removal and Gas-Production Enhancement Using Thermochemical Injection: A Field-Scale Simulation. Processes, 8(6), 727. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr8060727
- Elsayed, M., Glatz, G., El-Husseiny, A., Alqubalee, A., Adebayo, A., Al-Garadi, K., & Mahmoud, M. (2020). The Effect of Clay Content on the Spin–Spin NMR Relaxation Time Measured in Porous Media. ACS Omega, acsomega.9b04228. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.9b04228
Extended Publications (+)
- Alafnan, S., Aljawad, M., Glatz, G., Sultan, A., & Windiks, R. (2020). Sustainable Production from Shale Gas Resources through Heat-Assisted Depletion. Sustainability, 12(5), 2145. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12052145
- Glatz, Guenther, Alexandre Lapene, Louis M. Castanier, and Anthony R. Kovscek. “An Experimental Platform for Triaxial High-Pressure/High-Temperature Testing of Rocks Using Computed Tomography.” Review of Scientific Instruments 89, no. 4 (April 1, 2018): 045101. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5030204.
- Glatz, Guenther, Louis M. Castanier, and Anthony R. Kovscek. “Visualization and Quantification of Thermally Induced Porosity Alteration of Immature Source Rock Using X-Ray Computed Tomography.” Energy & Fuels 30, no. 10 (October 20, 2016): 8141–49. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b01430.
- Wilcox, Jennifer, Panithita Rochana, Abby Kirchofer, Guenther Glatz, and Jiajun He. “Revisiting Film Theory to Consider Approaches for Enhanced Solvent-Process Design for Carbon Capture.” Energy & Environmental Science 7, no. 5 (April 17, 2014): 1769–85. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4EE00001C.
- Chavez, Rodriguez, Mario Luis, Guenther Glatz, Torsten Clemens, and Anthony Kovscek. “Near-Wellbore and Reservoir Effects in In-Situ Combustion.” SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering 20, no. 03 (August 1, 2017): 698–707. https://doi.org/10.2118/174351-PA.
- Hasçakir, Berna, Guenther Glatz, Louis M. Castanier, and Anthony Kovscek. “In-Situ Combustion Dynamics Visualized With X-Ray Computed Tomography.” SPE Journal 16, no. 03 (September 1, 2011): 524–36. https://doi.org/10.2118/135186-PA.
Awards & Honors
- The Henry J. Ramey Jr. Fellowship Award for outstanding research and service to the department from Stanford University in 2015.
- The Frank G. Miller Fellowship Award for high academic achievements from Stanford University in 2012.
- Awarded 2nd in the M.S. division at the International Student Paper Contest at the ATCE, Denver, Colorado, 2011.
- Awarded 1st place in M.S. division at the Western Regional Student Paper Contest, Anchorage, Alaska, 2011.
- Full Marshall Plan Scholarship in 2010.
- Several gifted student awards from the Mining University of Leoben, Austria.