Dr. Arnoud Slootman
Post-Doc Researcher, Department of Geosciences
Dr. Slootman has an interest in process-based sedimentology and in particular for bedforms and resulting sedimentary structures. He holds a degree in ‘clastic’ carbonate sedimentology from the University of Geneva, Switzerland. The integration of fieldwork, theory, and experiments is the central focus of his research. He has an interest in the morphodynamics of Froude-supercritical flows producing bedforms of the upper flow-regime, and co-organises international meetings related to this topic. Dr. Slootman joined the College in the summer of 2017 and works on (experimental) calciturbidites in the Carbonate Sedimentology Group.
- Ph.D., Earth Sciences, University of Geneva, Switzerland (2012-2016). Dissertation: Supercritical density flows on cool-water carbonate ramps – The Lower Pleistocene of Favignana Island, Italy
- M.S., Earth Sciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands (2009-2012). Thesis: The Favignana Calcarenite: Sedimentology and Architecture of the Pleistocene Biocalcarenite Complex of Favignana, Egadi Islands, Italy
- B.S., Earth Sciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands (2004-2008). Thesis: Neogene rotation of the Transylvanian Basin (Romania): a paleomagnetic study
- Sediment transport dynamics
- Subaqueous density flows
- Supercritical flow morphodynamics
- Clastic carbonate sedimentology
- Regional geology
- Slootman, A., Ventra, D., Cartigny, M.J.B.; Normandeau, A. and Hubbard, S. (2021) Supercritical‐flow processes and depositional products: Introduction to thematic issue. Sedimentology, in press. https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12881
- Jaballah, J.; Reijmer, J.J.G.; El-Husseiny, A.; Le Goff, J.; Hairabian, A.; Slootman, A. (2021) Physical properties of Cretaceous to Eocene platform-to-basin carbonates from Albania. Marine and Petroleum Geology, in press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2021.105022
- De Kruijf, M., Slootman, A., De Boer, R.A. and Reijmer, J.J.G. (2021) On the settling of marine carbonate grains: Review and challenges. Earth-Science Reviews, in press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2021.103532
- Slootman, A., Vellinga, A.J., Cartigny, M.J.B and Moscariello, A. (2021) The depositional signature of high‐aggradation chute‐and‐pool bedforms: The build‐and‐fill structure. Sedimentology, in press. https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12843
- Le Goff, J., Slootman, A., Mulder, T., Cavailhes, T., Ducassou, E., Hanquiez, V., Jaballah, J. and Reijmer, J.J.G. (2020) The internal geometry of intra-formational Mass-Transport Deposits (MTDs): Insights from the carbonate slopes of the Great Bahama Bank and the Apulian Carbonate Platform. Marine Geology, Volume 427, 106205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2020.106205
- Slootman, A., and Cartigny, M.J.B. (2020) Cyclic steps: review and aggradation-based classification. Earth-Science Reviews, Vol. 201, 102949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2019.102949
Extended Publications (+)
- Slootman, A., De Boer, P.L., Cartigny, M.J.B., Samankassou, E. and Moscariello, A. (2019) Evolution of a carbonate delta generated by gateway-funnelling of episodic currents. Sedimentology, Vol. 66(4), 1302-1340. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/sed.12585
- Slootman, A., Cartigny, M.J.B. and Vellinga, A.J. Build-up-and-fill structure: The depositional signature of strongly aggradational chute-and-pool bedforms. (2019) Marine and River Dune Dynamics – MARID VI.
- Slootman, A., Simpson, G., Castelltort, S. and Boer, P.L. (2018) Geological record of marine tsunami backwash: The role of the hydraulic jump. The Depositional Record, Vol. 4, 59-77. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/dep2.38
- Slootman A., Cartigny M.J.B., de Boer P.L., Moscariello A. (2016) Depositional character of submarine dunes on a Pleistocene distally steepened carbonate ramp (Favignana Island, Italy). Marine and River Dune Dynamics – MARID V.
- Slootman, A., Cartigny, M.J., Moscariello, A., Chiaradia, M. and de Boer, P.L. (2016) Quantification of tsunami-induced flows on a Mediterranean carbonate ramp reveals catastrophic evolution. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol. 444, 192-204. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X16301479
Awards & Honors
- 2020: Recipient of 2020 IAS Postdoctoral Research Grant (1st session).
- 2019-2020: High-Impact Paper Award, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals.
- 2018-2020: Saudi Aramco Grant for Technical Proposal, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. (Authors: John Reijmer, Arnoud Slootman.)
- 2013: Postgraduate Grant Scheme of the International Association of Sedimentologists.
- 2012: Bourse Augustin Lombard, Société de Physique et d’Histoire Naturelle de Genève.
- 2011: Molengraaff Fund, TU Delft University, the Netherlands.