Dr. Arnoud Slootman
Post-Doc Researcher, Geosciences Department
Dr. Slootman has an interest in process-based sedimentology and in particular for bedforms and resulting sedimentary structures. He holds a degree in ‘clastic’ carbonate sedimentology from the University of Geneva, Switzerland. The integration of fieldwork, theory, and experiments is the central focus of his research. He has an interest in the morphodynamics of Froude-supercritical flows producing bedforms of the upper flow-regime, and co-organises international meetings related to this topic. Dr. Slootman joined the College in the summer of 2017 and works on (experimental) calciturbidites in the Carbonate Sedimentology Group.
- Ph.D., Earth Sciences, University of Geneva, Switzerland (2012-2016). Dissertation: Supercritical density flows on cool-water carbonate ramps – The Lower Pleistocene of Favignana Island, Italy
- M.S., Earth Sciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands (2009-2012). Thesis: The Favignana Calcarenite: Sedimentology and Architecture of the Pleistocene Biocalcarenite Complex of Favignana, Egadi Islands, Italy
- B.S., Earth Sciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands (2004-2008). Thesis: Neogene rotation of the Transylvanian Basin (Romania): a paleomagnetic study
- Sediment transport dynamics
- Subaqueous density flows
- Supercritical flow morphodynamics
- Clastic carbonate sedimentology
- Regional geology
- Slootman, A., Simpson, G., Castelltort, S. and Boer, P.L. (2018) Geological record of marine tsunami backwash: The role of the hydraulic jump. The Depositional Record.
- Slootman, A., Vellinga, A.J., Cartigny, M.J.B. (2017) Chute-and-pools: the hybrid bedforms in between antidunes and cyclic steps. 25th Swiss Sedimentologists Meeting, Fribourg, Switzerland.
- Slootman A., Cartigny M.J.B., de Boer P.L., Moscariello A. (2017) Submarine dunes on fossil carbonate ramps : Genetic model, depositional character and preservation potential. European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Vienna, Austria.
- Slootman A., Cartigny M.J.B., de Boer P.L., Moscariello A. (2016) Depositional character of submarine dunes on a Pleistocene distally steepened carbonate ramp (Favignana Island, Italy). Marin and River Dune Dynamics – MARID V.
- Slootman, A., Cartigny, M.J., Moscariello, A., Chiaradia, M. and de Boer, P.L. (2016) Quantification of tsunami-induced flows on a Mediterranean carbonate ramp reveals catastrophic evolution. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 444, 192-204
Awards & Honors
- 2013: Postgraduate Grant Scheme of the International Association of Sedimentologists
- 2012: Bourse Augustin Lombard, Société de Physique et d’Histoire Naturelle de Genève
- 2011: Molengraaff Fund, TU Delft University, the Netherlands