Professor Stewart A. Greenhalgh
Saudi Aramco Chair Professor, Geosciences Department
Stewart Greenhalgh was born in Sydney, Australia and holds British and Australian citizenship. Prior to joining CPG in August 2016, he was Professor of Geophysics at ETH Zürich, Switzerland for 10 years. He is also Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of Adelaide, Australia. He has worked in academia for many years but has also been engaged as a consultant with several oil and mining companies and government agencies. He has enjoyed periods of sabbatical leave at Department of Engineering Science, Oxford University, UK; Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, USA; Department of Physics, University of Toronto, Canada, and Institute of Geophysics, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. He has published over 250 journal articles in various areas of experimental and theoretical geophysics. Stewart has supervised 16 post-doctoral fellows, 36 Ph.D. students, and 28 M.Sc. students. He is an Editor of Pure and Applied Geophysics and the Journal of Geophysics and Engineering.
- D.Sc., Geophysics, University of Sydney, 1997
- Ph.D., Geophysics/Mathematics/Physics, University of Minnesota, USA, 1979. (coursework GPA of 4 on a scale of 4)
- M.Sc., Theoretical Seismology, University of Sydney, 1976.
- B.Sc. (Hons I), Physics/Mathematics, University of Sydney, Australia, 1972.
Seismic exploration; elastic wave theory; numerical seismic modelling; digital signal processing; inverse theory; full waveform inversion; laboratory seismic modelling; earthquakes; crustal geophysics; electrical and electromagnetic imaging; mining, petroleum and environmental applications of geophysics.
Publications from (2012-2017):
- Xue, G., Bai, C., Yan, S., Greenhalgh, S., Li, M & Zhou, N. 2012. Deep sounding TEM investigation method based on a modified fixed central loop system: Journal of Applied Geophysics 76, 23-32 (2012)
- Zhou, B., Greenhalgh, S.A. & Maurer, H. 2012. 2.5-D frequency domain seismic modelling in heterogeneous, anisotropic media using a Gaussian quadrature grid technique: Computers and Geosciences 39, 18-33
- Sinclair, C., Greenhalgh, S.A. and Zhou, B. Wavenumber sampling issues in 2.5D frequency-domain seismic modelling: Pure & Applied Geophysics 169, 141-156 (2012) DOI 10.1007/s0024-011-0277-3
- Coscia, I., Linde, N., Greenhalgh, S.A., Günther, T. & Green, A.G. 2012. A filtering method to correct time-lapse 3D ERT data and improve imaging of natural aquifer dynamics: Journal of Applied Geophysics 80, 12-24 DOI: 10.1016/j.jappgeo.2011.12.015
- Zhou, B., Greenhalgh, S.A. & Greenhalgh, M. 2012. Wavenumber sampling strategies for 2.5D frequency-domain seismic wave modelling in general anisotropic media: Geophysical Journal International 188, 223-238. D0I: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2011.05246.x
- Maurer, H., Greenhalgh, S.A., Manukyan, E., Marelli, S. & Green, A.G. 2012. Receiver coupling effects in seismic waveform inversions: Geophysics 77(1), R57-R69
- Lehmann-Horn, J., Hertrich, M., Greenhalgh, S. & Green, A. 2012. On the sensitivity of NMR in the presence of electrical conductivity anomalies: Geophysical Journal International 189, 331-342. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2012.05380.x
- Huang, C., Bai, C.Y., Zhou, D. & Greenhalgh, S. 2012. 2D/3D seismic simultaneous inversion for the velocity model and interface geometry using multiple classes of arrivals: Bulletin of Seismological Society of America 180 (2), 790-801
- Manukyan, E., Latzel, S., Maurer, H., Marelli, S. & Greenhalgh, S. 2012. Exploitation of information content in elastic waveform inversions: Geophysics 77(2), R105-R116, doi: 10.1190/GEO2011-0184.1
- Coscia, I., Linde, N., Greenhalgh, S.A., Vogt, T. & Green, A.G.2012. Estimating traveltimes and groundwater flow patterns using 3D time-lapse crosshole ERT imaging of electrical resistivity fluctuations induced by infiltrating river water: Geophysics 77(4), E239-E250,doi 10.1190/GEO2011-0328.1.
- Meles, G., Greenhalgh, S.A., Green, A.G., Maurer, H. & van der Kruk, J. 2012. GPR full waveform sensitivity and resolution analysis using an FDTD adjoint method: IEEE Transactions on Geoscience & Remote Sensing 50(5), 1881-1896.
- Greenhalgh, S.A., Liu, X. & Zhou, B. 2012.Velocity and attenuation dispersion relations for the effective Biot model: total field formulation: Near Surface Geophysics 10, 197-206: doi 10.3997/1873-0604.2011050
- Bai, C.Y., Huang, G. Tang, X. & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2012. Multi-valued reflection arrival tracking via an extremal solution of the summed ray field: Journal of Geophysics & Engineering 9, 549-557
- Manukyan, E, Maurer, H, Marelli, S., Greenhalgh, S.A. & Green, A. 2012. Seismic monitoring of radioactive waste repositories: Geophysics 77(6), EN73-EN83
- Ren, Z., Kalscheur, T., Greenhalgh, S. & Maurer, H. 2013. Boundary element solutions for broadband 3D geo-electromagnetic problems accelerated by an adaptive multi-level fast multipole method: Geophysical Journal International 192, 473-499
- Huang, G., Bai, C.Y. and Greenhalgh, S.A. 2013. A fast and accurate scheme for traveltime computations and raypath determinations of global seismic phases in a laterally heterogeneous model: Seismological Research Letters 84, 505-515
- Auer, L., Nuber, A., Greenhalgh, S., Maurer, H. & Marelli. 2013. A critical appraisal of asymptotic 3D-to-2D data transformation in seismic full waveform inversion: Geophysics 78(6), R235-R247, doi: 10.1.1190/geo2012.0382.1
- Meles, G., Greenhalgh, S., Maurer, H. & Green, A. 2013. Image appraisal of full waveform inverted GPR data. PIERS Proceedings, Stockholm, 58-64.
- Meles, G., Greenhalgh, S., Maurer, H. & Green, A. 2013. Some ideas yet unattempted in georadar full waveform inversion. PIERS Proceedings, Stockholm, 714-720.
- Ren, Z., Kalscheur, T., Greenhalgh, S. & Maurer, H. 2013. A goal-oriented adaptive finite-element approach for plane wave 3D electromagnetic modeling: Geophysical Journal International 194, 700-718.
- Huang, G., Bai, C.Y. & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2013. Fast and accurate global multi-phase arrival tracking: The irregular shortest path method in a 3D spherical earth model: Geophysical Journal International 194(3), 1878-1892.
- Bai, C.Y., Huang, G.J., Li, X.L., Zhou, B. & Greenhalgh, S. 2013. Ray tracing of multiple transmitted/reflected/converted waves in 2-D/3-D layered anisotropic TTI media and application to crosswell traveltime tomography: Geophysical Journal International 195, 1068-1087
- Greenhalgh, S.A. & Manukyan, E. 2013. Seismic reflection in hard rock mineral exploration: lessons from numerical modeling: Journal of Engineering and Environmental Geophysics 18(4), 281-296
- Ren, Z., Kalscheur, T., Greenhalgh, S. & Maurer, H. 2013. A hybrid boundary element-finite element approach for plane wave 3-D electromagnetic modelling : Journal of Computational Physics 258, 705-717
- Greenhalgh, S.A., Liu, X. & Zhou, B. A model for determination of effective permeability from acoustic wavespeed and attenuation in a rigid two-phase porous medium: Near Surface Geophysics 12, 391-404.
- Huang, G.J., Bai, C.Y., Li, X. & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2014. 3-D simultaneous inversion for velocity and reflector geometry using multiple classes of arrivals in a spherical co-ordinate frame: Journal of Seismology 18(1), 123-135.
- Bai, C.Y., Li, X.W. , Huang, G. & Greenhalgh, S. 2014. Simultaneous inversion for velocity and reflector geometry using multi-phase Fresnel volume rays: Pure & Applied Geophysics 171, 1089-1105. doi 10.1007/s00024-013-0686-6
- Liu, X. & Greenhalgh, S. 2014. Reflection and transmission coefficients for an incident plane shear wave at an interface separating two dissimilar poroelastic solids: Pure & Applied Geophysics 171, 2111-2127. DOI 10.1007/s00024-014-0844.5
- Meier, P., Kalscheur, T., Podgorski, J., Green, A., Greenhalgh, S., Rabenstein, L., Doetsch, J., Kinzelbach, W., Auken, E., Mikkelsen, P., Foged, N., Jaba, B., Tschoso, G. & Ntibinyane. 2014. Hydrogeophysical investigations in the western and north-central Okavango Delta (Botswana) based on helicopter and ground-based and transient electromagnetic data and electric resistance tomography: Geophysics 79 (5), B201-B211
- Ren, Z., Kalscheuer, T., Greenhalgh, S. & Maurer, H. 2014. A finite-element based domain-decomposition approach for plane wave 3D electromagnetic modeling: Geophysics 79(6), E255-E268
- Zhou, B, Mason, I & Greenhalgh, S. 2015. Seeing coal top ahead of the drill bit through Seismic-While-Drilling: Geophysical Prospecting 63, 166-182. DOI 10.1111/1365-2478.12172.
- Bai, C.Y., Huang, G., Li, X.W & Greenhalgh, S. 2015. 3D simultaneous traveltime inversion for velocity structure, hypocentre locations and reflector geometry using multiple classes of arrivals: Pure & Applied Geophysics, 172, 2601-2620.
- Wiese, T., Greenhalgh, S.A, Zhou, B, Greenhalgh, M. & Marescot, L. 2015. Resistivity inversion in 2D anisotropic media: numerical experiments: Geophysical Journal International 201, 247-266
- Mo, Y., Greenhalgh, S.A., Robertsson, J. & Karaman, H. 2015. The development and testing of a 2D laboratory seismic modelling system for heterogeneous structure investigations: Journal of Applied Geophysics 116, 224-235.
- Van Manen, D.J, Vasmel, M, Greenhalgh, S.A. & Robertsson, J. 2015. Broadband cloaking and holography using exact boundary conditions: Journal of Acoustical Society of America 137(6), EL 415
- Grab, M., Zurcher, B., Maurer, H. & Greenhalgh, S. 2015. Seismic velocity structure of a fossilized Icelandic geothermal system: a combined laboratory and field study: Geothermics 57, 84-94.
- Bagheri, M, Greenhalgh, S.A., Khojasteh, A. & Rahimian, M 2015. Dispersion of Rayleigh, Scholte, Stoneley, and Love waves in a model consisting of a liquid layer overlying a two-layer transversely isotropic solid medium: Geophysical Journal International 203, 228-245.
- Jordi, C., Schmelzbach, C. & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2016. Applications of fat ray seismic tomography to near surface exploration: Journal of Applied Geophysics 131, 202-213
- Bagheri, A., Rahimian, M., Khojasteh, A & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2016. Dynamic Green’s functions for a liquid layer overlying a transversely isotropic half-space due to an arbitrary source excitation within the liquid: Wave Motion 63, 83-97
- Schmelzbach, C., Greenhalgh, S.A., Reiser, F., Girard, J.F. et al. 2016. Advanced seismic processing techniques and their potential for geothermal exploration: Interpretation 4, SP1-SP18
- Sollberger, D., Schmelzbach, C., Robertsson, J., Greenhalgh, S., Nakamura, Y. & Khan, A. 2016. The shallow elastic structure of the lunar crust: new insights obtained by seismic wavefield gradient analysis: Geophysical Research Letters 43(19), 10078-10097
- Bagheri, A., Greenhalgh, S., Khojasteh, A., Rahimiian, M. & Atternejad, R. 2016. Tsunami generation and associated waves in the water column and seabed due to asymmetrical earthquake motion in an anisotropic substratum: Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 121 doi 10.1002/2016JCO11944
- Liu, X., Greenhalgh, S., Zhou, B. & Heinson, G. 2016.Generalized poro-viscoelastic model based on effective Biot theory and its application to borehole guided wave analysis: Geophysical Journal Int.ernational doi 10.1093/gji/ggw345
- Bagheri, A., M., Khojasteh, A., Rahimian, A. & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2017. Asymmetric elastic wavefields in a liquid-anisotropic solid model due to an arbitrary source excitation within the halfspace: Applied Ocean Research 62, 119-138
- Mildner, C., Broggini, F., Roberstsson, J., van Manen, D. & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2017. Target-oriented velocity analysis using Marchenko-redatumed data: Geophysics 82(2), R75-R86.
- Reiser, F., Schmelzbach, C., Maurer, H., Greenhalgh, S. & Hellwig, O. 2017. Optimizing the design of vertical seismic profiling (VSP) for imaging fracture zones over hardrock basement geothermal environments: Jour Appl. Geophys. 135, 25-35
- Grab, M., Quintal, B., Caspari, B., Maurer, H. & Greenhalgh, S. 2017. Numerical modeling of fluid effects on seismic properties of fractured magmatic geothermal reservoirs: Solid Earth 8, 255-279., doi 10.5194/se2016-144
- Li, B., Bai, C.Y., Wang, Q.L. & Greenhalgh, S. 2017. Two-dimensional multivalued ray tracing: comparison of three different approaches: Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Published online doi org/10.1007/s12517-017.3272-x
- Bai, C.Y., Li, X.W., Yue, X.P. and Greenhalgh, S. 2017. Multi-phase arrival tracking using tetrahedral cells within a 3-D layered TTI anisotropic model involving undulating topography and irregular interfaces: J. Geophys. Eng. ( in press), doi 10.1088/1742-2140/aa84f3
- Bai, C.Y., Li, X.W., Wang, D. & Greenhalgh, S. 2017. The effects of ignoring Earth curvature on near-regional travel time tomography and earthquake locations: Pure & Applied Geophysics 174, 4329-4342 doi .org/10.1007/s00024-017-1671-2
- Liu, X., Greenhalgh, S.A., Zhou, B. & Greenhalgh, M. 2018. Effective Biot theory and its generalization to poro-viscoelastic models: Geophysical Journal International 212, 1255-1273
- Sollberger, D., Greenhalgh, S.A., Schmelzbach, C., van Renterghem, C. & Robertsson, J.O. 2017. 6-C polarization analysis using point-measurements of translational and rotational ground motion: theory and applications: Geophys. J. Int. (in press, accepted for publication December 13, 2017) DOI 10.1093/gji/ggx542
- Grab, M., Quintal, B., Caspari, E., Maurer, H. & Greenhalgh, S.A. 2017. The effect of boiling on seismic properties of water-saturated fractured rock: Jour. Geophys. Res – Solid Earth 122, 9228-9252, DOI: 10.1002/2017JB014608
Awards & Honors
- Leo Cotton Prize, University of Sydney, 1971
- L A Richardson Memorial Prize, University of Sydney, 1972
- Australian Government Commonwealth Scholarship, 1969-72
- Fulbright Fellowship, 1976-1979
- Edgeworth David Travelling Fellowship, 1976
- University of Minnesota Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 1978-1979
- Laric Hawkins Award for Technical Innovation, Australian SEG 1992
- Who’s Who in Australia, 1992
- Elected Fellow of Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, 2000
- Centennial Medal, Service to Geophysics – Australian Governor General, 2001
- Elected Fellow, UK Institute of Physics, 2005
- Ludger Mintrop Award, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, 2013
- Distinguished Achievement award (to ETH Zurich AUG Group of which I was a member for 9 years), Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 2015
- Conrad Schlumberger award, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, 2016